Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I'm new here and hoping to get an answer to my question. I have a 2017 Elite AWD Pilot. I went to the dealership and told them I needed my vehicle to be able to pull another vehicle. They installed the hitch and harness and told me I could pull 5000 lbs. While we were getting ready to load the trailer up we noticed the towing sticker said 3500 lbs. I called them and they said dont pay attention to that, my AWD Elite can handle 5000 lbs..... my gut told me to start looking online and I'm seeing mention of a cooler in addition to the other things. My question is can my AWD Elite pull a vehicle or not? This would literally be the only time we do it and it's for about 900 miles from Central Texas to the STL area. We're supposed to be on the road by now and I don't know if we should scrap the whole trip now. Any advise would be appreciated. Explain it at a kindergarten level because I am not even close to being a mechanic. :)

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
82 Posts
You need to install a transmission cooler to tow at the full 5,000 lbs capacity.

I have the same exact vehicle and I installed the tow hitch myself. It comes with that sticker you mention, specifying 3,500 lbs max. The OEM transmission cooler comes with a 5,000 lbs sticker you can place on the hitch.

Although the vehicle can tow 5,000 lbs as is as far as power goes, without the transmission cooler you will strain and wear out your transmission with loads over 3,500 lbs. Simply put, the transmission has to work harder, therefore it produces more heat, which in turn can result in premature wear.

The transmission cooler will cool whether you are towing or not, and it will extend the lifetime of the transmission even if you never tow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,439 Posts
If you don't have a transmission cooler, I wouldn't. The summer heat is on.
It looks like this. Look through your lower grille

1 - 3 of 3 Posts