Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Honda Pilot Elite
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know the easiest, best, and stupid proof way of acquiring a 2017 Elite radio to swap into my 2016 Elite to gain Apple Carplay? I've tried looking at LKQ and Car-part, but I keep getting results for 2016 Pilots or if it is a 2017, then it's for a Touring and not Elite.

Also if anyone is around the North Denver area, do you have any recommendations for shops to install the 2017 radio and install a lift kit? Thank you!!

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,587 Posts
I seem to recall the wiring is all different. It may be possible but quite the hassle. Do some searches on here because I believe this topic has come up before.

·
Registered
2016 Honda Pilot Elite
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I seem to recall the wiring is all different. It may be possible but quite the hassle. Do some searches on here because I believe this topic has come up before.
I've read through the whole 26 page mega-thread regarding switching the black box over from a 2017 to a 2016. As long as the trim levels match up, it's supposedly just a plug and play direct swap. The hardest part seems to be getting ahold of a working unit from a 2017 that is a complete match trim-wise and is in good condition.

I know you can buy a brand new radio unit at an absurd price of like $2500 from Hondapartsnetwork. At that point might as well trade in my 2016 for a 2017, but considering my car is brand new (to me), I'd rather not go through that hassle. You can get cheap ones from wrecked vehicles for like $350~ on Car-Part and LKQ or even Ebay, but I haven't had any luck finding anything on any of those websites.

I also know of another method which is Hondahack + Carplay Dongle, but I've heard mixed reviews from that method being buggy at times which leads me to believe that the 2017 unit install is the best way to get Carplay.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I've read through the whole 26 page mega-thread regarding switching the black box over from a 2017 to a 2016. As long as the trim levels match up, it's supposedly just a plug and play direct swap. The hardest part seems to be getting ahold of a working unit from a 2017 that is a complete match trim-wise and is in good condition.

I know you can buy a brand new radio unit at an absurd price of like $2500 from Hondapartsnetwork. At that point might as well trade in my 2016 for a 2017, but considering my car is brand new (to me), I'd rather not go through that hassle. You can get cheap ones from wrecked vehicles for like $350~ on Car-Part and LKQ or even Ebay, but I haven't had any luck finding anything on any of those websites.

I also know of another method which is Hondahack + Carplay Dongle, but I've heard mixed reviews from that method being buggy at times which leads me to believe that the 2017 unit install is the best way to get Carplay.
Check car-part.com

·
Registered
2016 Honda Pilot Elite
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Check car-part.com
Yeah, that's the website I've looked at before. Not sure if I've been looking it up wrong. I look up
Honda Pilot
Radio/CD
USA
(Zip code)
[Press Search]
player (dash mounted), DVD player, Elite (Blu-ray)

and then from there I have trouble figuring out which one is compatible because it shows a bunch of 2016s and then it shows me Touring trims and other trims that aren't Elite trim.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
You will probably have to call around and ask specifically. I searched under radio and GPS and it seems conflicting what you are actually getting.

·
Registered
2016 Honda Pilot Elite
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You will probably have to call around and ask specifically. I searched under radio and GPS and it seems conflicting what you are actually getting.
Yeah it’s a bit hard. I tried calling a couple places and they seemed unsure of what I wanted, trying to get me the rear entertainment screen. Turns out this is quite a bit harder to source a radio than I thought 😭

1 - 8 of 8 Posts