Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 Touring. Any reason why the "HondaLink" would tell me to use VTM-4 rear diff fluid vs the DPSF-II (manual says this, differential has this stamped).

Font Terrestrial plant Circle Symbol Screenshot

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll have to go with the idiot programming part.

I did drain it. The fluid is "reddish" and the new fluid looks clear. It's got 50k on it and to my knowledge (and to service history I have from Honda), this has never been changed before. I'll just put in the DPSF and see how this goes.

·
Registered
'22 Pilot Elite, '09 RL RTL, '05 MDX Touring
224 Posts
HondaLink, before I uninstalled it(!), kept reminding me about subscribing so I can remote start our Pilot from the app, which is not possible. I think Honda's done a remarkably poor job of ensuring their apps are updated with accurate information and the correct features for each vehicle line.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HondaLink is awful. If I was just someone that didn't check forums, or the manual (or even pay attention to the print on the diff itself), or contacted the dealer (which I did for additional reassurance) I would have probably just pumped it full of VTM-4. I'm sure it's happened multiple times. Not a good look for Honda.

On a separate note, Subaru's online owner link is miserable as well. You can register your car, but you cannot see prior service that was done on the car. Subaru told me this was for "privacy" purposes. Ridiculous not knowing if the car you just purchased has been maintained. Thankfully, I found a good service advisor that provided me info on it. Additionally, CarFax had a lot of info out there on maintenance (at least more than what I had expected).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts