Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am needing advice. The dealership says their 50,000 mile transmission service entails a transmission fluid exchange with a special fluid and something to do with the programming. Has any one done this on their own? Where can I get the special transmission fluid and what does the programming that is done? Is there a specific programming equipment that I need? Any advice is helpful! I’d rather not spend the 500$ to have them do it.

·
Registered
439 Posts
The fluid exchange procedure is actually fairly complicated. No a straightforward drain and fill like most cars. Also I highly recommend you get the software update, as it will probably improve the smoothness of your shifts. The fluid is a new Honda formulation that doesn't have any generic equivalent available, unlike the DW-1 in the 6 speed. It's also fairly expensive.

9 speed procedure and discussion here:

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,571 Posts
$500 seems excessive, but this is not a procedure I would want to tackle on my own. I'd call around to other Honda dealers to see what they charge.

Also is this one drain and refill or is it a 100% fluid exchange. The fluid isn't particularly cheap either.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Not too many 9 speed transmission fluid exchange/drain/refills posted here doing it as DIY. There are a few posts and I am going to do what they have done.

Drain the transmission when it is cold and have the replacement 3.1 fluid also at the same temperature. Basically letting the car sit overnight with the new fluid bottles near it. Accurately measure what you remove, and then put in the exact amount that came out. If you have driven it this long, there are no leaks showing, and the transmission shifts fine then your fluid level should be OK refilling with the same amount.

No need to do the Honda temperature check nor the shifting and entering the mode that the factory service manual calls for if you do this DIY method. I think you will need a bit less than 4 quarts handy for the refill? Doing it like this you can do it 3 times yourself before the cost will probable equal what a one drain and fill from the dealer will cost.

Here is a YouTube video which during the first 4 or 5 minutes shows where the drain plug and fill plugs are. After that he starts talking about temperature and other things which I am not going to do. H
Just a drain and fill for me.

Honda 9 speed transmission fluid DIY change

Reactions: Smarkle3

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Hello,
I am needing advice. The dealership says their 50,000 mile transmission service entails a transmission fluid exchange with a special fluid and something to do with the programming. Has any one done this on their own? Where can I get the special transmission fluid and what does the programming that is done? Is there a specific programming equipment that I need? Any advice is helpful! I’d rather not spend the 500$ to have them do it.
If you DIY, will this affect your powertrain warranty from Honda? I would guess that you have the standard 60,000 mile factory powertrain warranty. If DIY service is recognized by Honda as adequate for warranty purposes, I am sure that you would need to document what you do and the ATF used. Perhaps someone here on the forum can shed some light on this issue?

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
If you DIY, will this affect your powertrain warranty from Honda? I would guess that you have the standard 60,000 mile factory powertrain warranty. If DIY service is recognized by Honda as adequate for warranty purposes, I am sure that you would need to document what you do and the ATF used. Perhaps someone here on the forum can shed some light on this issue?
I thought legally it had to be allowable for owners to perform their own maintenance?

Now with a procedure this complicated, I'd imagine it would not be hard for a dealer to say that the owner didn't follow this step or that step properly which led to over/under filling.

Personally, I hate ATF drain and fills and how convoluted they have become and how different the procedure is brand to brand. I know the fluid expands but there has to be a simpler way.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I recall a post where the owner had the dealership do the 9 speed transmission change. That dealer did nothing more than drain and refill without going through all of the Honda recommended steps. The owner asked about it and the dealer rep said that is all they do for the 9 speed.

Your dealer may vary!!!!

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
I recall a post where the owner had the dealership do the 9 speed transmission change. That dealer did nothing more than drain and refill without going through all of the Honda recommended steps. The owner asked about it and the dealer rep said that is all they do for the 9 speed.

Your dealer may vary!!!!
But did they still charge the owner the rate for the long and complicated process or the 30 minutes it took?

·
Registered
883 Posts
I have no idea but for some reason I think it was a very low price compared to the $300.00-$400.00 many dealers charge.

Reactions: cintocrunch
1 - 9 of 9 Posts