Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At our local dealer today for oil and filter change, as well as tire rotation. We have 36k miles on the vehicle. As is often the case, the service writer was looking to up sell me. He was RECOMMENDING that we do a 4 wheel alignment as the tech said the tires were showing some outer edge wearing.

I declined, and have since looked at all 4 tires carefully and see NO signs of unusual wear. The dealer said the cost was $129.

I have no pulling to either side, no vibration, and I don't see tire wear. Are you folks doing 4 wheel alignments ? If so, is there any typical mileage that most of you get this done? Does the $129 seem in line?

thanks !

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
It's possible the tech noticed some unusual tire wear and the recommended 4-wheel alignment may be needed. Mileage is one factor for tire and suspension wear but if your commute has plenty of road damage, debris, deep crevices, road construction, etc the cumulative impacts could upset the alignment. Price is not out of line but some dealers have alignment coupons or service specials.

·
Registered
11,463 Posts
Well since the Mrs thinks curbs are for bouncing off of.., the answer is no, not having any issues even with this occasionally happening.

Reactions: Strake

·
Registered
9,778 Posts
At our local dealer today for oil and filter change, as well as tire rotation. We have 36k miles on the vehicle. As is often the case, the service writer was looking to up sell me. He was RECOMMENDING that we do a 4 wheel alignment as the tech said the tires were showing some outer edge wearing.

I declined, and have since looked at all 4 tires carefully and see NO signs of unusual wear. The dealer said the cost was $129.

I have no pulling to either side, no vibration, and I don't see tire wear. Are you folks doing 4 wheel alignments ? If so, is there any typical mileage that most of you get this done? Does the $129 seem in line?
Did you ask the service writer (or the tech) to show you the "outer edge wear" about which they seemed concerned?

Unless I note a problem, or think some damage might have been done - due to a pothole. etc. - I only have an alignment done after purchasing new tires. However, the local Honda dealer includes a free alignment check with an oil change. There is then an extra charge if an adjustment needs to be made.

Regarding cost, see what a local tire shop charges for an alignment.
Also, look for discount coupon offers on dealer websites.
For example:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^^^ No, I didn't ask them to show me what they were talking about. I decided that I would do my do diligence first, then if I felt it was needed come back for the alignment. Have NOT hit any potholes that were noticeable. No curbs. Some of the roads here in south central PA aren't the greatest, but in the rural area where I am, they are not bad at all. Retired, so no commuting. No big city driving.

Prior to retiring, I had company cars for 35 years. Only once in all those many cars did I ever have an alignment done. The cars were usually kept 60 to 70k miles and I would rotate tires, but that was it. They were typically Buick's, Chevy Impala's, Ford Taurus' etc. No foreign cars. In fact, only a couple of times did I even have to replace a set of tires.

Thanks all for the replies. Great idea to seek coupons !

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you have a local tire shop you trust, take it in and let them have a quick look. Might not take them more than 5 minutes (so hopefully they wont charge you) and then you get input from someone who looks at tires all day every day. $129 seems excessive for alignment, I dont think I have ever paid over $80. I normally only have them done when I put on new tires, which I always do as full set.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts