Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all , I have a weird smell issue that the dealer cannot figure out .

When i drive and the car is warmed up and I come to a stop , a funny smell comes out of the vents . like burned coolant ( thats what my mechanic told me )

When i have to recycle air button pressed i dont smell it .

Its almost as i builds up under the hood and when I stop , I can really smell it . I do not smell it when im driving

·
Registered
425 Posts
The smell gets dispersed by air when driving. Recirc keeps the same air in the cabin so u wont smell it. If it's a sweet smell it's coolant and you should find out where it's coming from

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Not sure why the dealer couldn't replicate the odor you are smelling. Look for clues of dried coolant on or around the engine. It's possible the coolant loss is small but keep an eye on the coolant reservoir levels.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not sure why the dealer couldn't replicate the odor you are smelling. Look for clues of dried coolant on or around the engine. It's possible the coolant loss is small but keep an eye on the coolant reservoir levels.
we replicated the smell with the dealer but he does not know what it is , he stated that it does not smell like coolant like my mechanic told me

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The smell gets dispersed by air when driving. Recirc keeps the same air in the cabin so u wont smell it. If it's a sweet smell it's coolant and you should find out where it's coming from
yes i only smell it without the recirc , when i come to a stop

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Have you replaced the cabin filter lately? Perhaps try a charcoal fortified version. There was a recent post from a fellow piloteer that did a through external cleaning of the a/c system against molds and spores which is not a very common task.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have you replaced the cabin filter lately? Perhaps try a charcoal fortified version. There was a recent post from a fellow piloteer that did a through external cleaning of the a/c system against molds and spores which is not a very common task.
i changed both cabin and engine filters , it was recommended to clean the AC system ! how costly is it ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Any update on this? Just bought a used 2018 Honda Pilot a week ago and noticed this issue right after we drove it off the lot. Smell from vents when come to a stop after the vehicle is well warmed up (after 20-30m of driving or so). Then it dissipates and doesn’t return until the next stop. Smells a bit like transmission fluid to me but dealer inspected and couldn’t find any leaks. Doesn’t smell when recirculate is on.

thought maybe it was the transmission breather cap, but it still appears intact. The cabin filter is brand new and doesn’t smell at all. Transmission fluid seemed a little high when I checked it but dealer says it’s at the right level and supposed to check it when it’s hot and the engine is off.

Don’t know what to do. Been to dealer twice already.
Appreciate any insight.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,174 Posts
Regarding the A/C system cleaning mentioned above, the cleaning spray and foam costs about $25 and it takes about an hour of your time. You’ll get better results if the front blower is removed to allow the foam better access to the core.

I did this on my Tacoma last spring after the A/C smelled really musty.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts