Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, this is my first post here and just wanted to give a quick shoutout to the number of times this forum has helped me out in the past with all the Honda's I've owned over the years!

Anyways, I have a 2017 Pilot EXL AWD, just clocked in 10,000 miles on it and service B16 popped up just a short while ago. If I'm not mistaken, service B16 calls for an oil + filter change, tire rotation, and rear differential fluid change.

My questions are, how many of you guys have changed your rear differential fluid so far on your third gen pilots? Can it be done by myself, and if by doing so, will it void my warranty? What is the normal interval for changing it? Lastly, if I were to take it to Honda to have the rear differential fluid changed, how much would they charge?

Thank you!!!

·
Registered
128 Posts
I think few people on this board have down it by themselves. It won’t void any warranty. Unless your dealer gave you a lifetime power train warranty (not hondacare) then you really really need to follow the maintenance schedule at the dealer. If not dealer will void that warranty. It’s a way to have you spend money at the dealer.

Service interval is 10k first then every 30k I believe. If I remember correctly when changing the tranny oil you need to warm it up fully then check the fluid level. It’s more than just drain n fill. I m going to shop around and just take it to a dealer.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Hello all, this is my first post here and just wanted to give a quick shoutout to the number of times this forum has helped me out in the past with all the Honda's I've owned over the years!

Anyways, I have a 2017 Pilot EXL AWD, just clocked in 10,000 miles on it and service B16 popped up just a short while ago. If I'm not mistaken, service B16 calls for an oil + filter change, tire rotation, and rear differential fluid change.

My questions are, how many of you guys have changed your rear differential fluid so far on your third gen pilots? Can it be done by myself, and if by doing so, will it void my warranty? What is the normal interval for changing it? Lastly, if I were to take it to Honda to have the rear differential fluid changed, how much would they charge?

Thank you!!!
The rear differential fluid change procedure is almost same as the previous two generations except with a different fluid. Interval is almost same as well. Just follow the service reminder. Change it yourself certainly will not void the warranty. Keep the receipt of your fluid purchasing as a proof will certainly help in any event you need to dispute with the manufacturer.

·
Registered
5,051 Posts
Lastly, if I were to take it to Honda to have the rear differential fluid changed, how much would they charge?
Expect to pay on the order of $60 for the dealer to change the rear differential fluid versus about $20 for two quarts of the fluid if you diy.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Pick up 3 quarts even though it calls for 1.92

Here’s a thread.

https://www.piloteers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=142401
Follow the thread. You can do it yourself if you've done an oil chance before. Remove the spare tire for more space to work in.
Here's a tip if you're doing it on a driveway with an encline...
Park the vehicle facing the street. This way you can put a little more fluid instead of less than the recommended amount. Since you have to run the vehicle after pumping in new fluid, use this time to move it to a level spot and drain the excess to achieve proper level. If you're doing it on level ground then disregard. I did it this way to entirely avoid doing it on the street. Good luck.

·
Registered
136 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
I did it myself along with tire rotation on jack stands. Purchased fluids from honda dealer and a fluid pump from amazon. Make sure you can get the fill bolt off before the drain plug. My dealer wanted $100 which is a rip off especially if its already on the rack for an oil change and/or rotation.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Do it yourself including the B service of the brakes (very easy) and straight forward since you have the wheels off. My Stealership charges 176 for the B service and 180 for the differential hence, I did it myself and kept the receipts since its a rip off

·
Registered
137 Posts
Is the rear differential service interval the same for FWD and AWD?. I've had a lot of vehicles in my day and don't remember having to change the rear diff grease so often.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Is the rear differential service interval the same for FWD and AWD?. I've had a lot of vehicles in my day and don't remember having to change the rear diff grease so often.

Honda's AWD rear differential has more in common with an auto-transmission. It has a fluid pump and pressure clutch packs with thin fluid. Doesn't use the old thick gear oil that old conventional differentials used.

First service is around 15,000, then every 30,000 miles afterwards roughly with the maintenance minder.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts