Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I checked with Genuine Honda Parts to find a rear bumper sill protector and came up with this: Part number 08P48-TG7-101,.....Which replaces parts number 08P48-TG7-100.

I "Thought" that this would be a semi-rigid black material similar to the black body molding. After going to a Honda dealer to see one for myself it turns out that this is a black adhesive roll or tape-like material. Although I would be willing to give it a try, after reading the reviews, a fair number of people said that the tape began to unroll taking paint with it.

First off, has anyone tried this and can you please give your impressions?

My rear bumper sill on the horizontal surface, just under the hatch is beginning to get some slight unsightly scratches from loading and unloading and I would like to do something about it.
(My wife's RAV4 has a very nice part made of the hard plastic-like material that other exterior trim pieces such as fender flairs are made of and it works and looks good.)

Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hello,
I checked with Genuine Honda Parts to find a rear bumper sill protector and came up with this: Part number 08P48-TG7-101,.....Which replaces parts number 08P48-TG7-100.

I "Thought" that this would be a semi-rigid black material similar to the black body molding. After going to a Honda dealer to see one for myself it turns out that this is a black adhesive roll or tape-like material. Although I would be willing to give it a try, after reading the reviews, a fair number of people said that the tape began to unroll taking paint with it.

First off, has anyone tried this and can you please give your impressions?

My rear bumper sill on the horizontal surface, just under the hatch is beginning to get some slight unsightly scratches from loading and unloading and I would like to do something about it.
(My wife's RAV4 has a very nice part made of the hard plastic-like material that other exterior trim pieces such as fender flairs are made of and it works and looks good.)

Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance.
I bought the same part for my wife 2019 EX-L, but I have yet to install it. It’s like a nylon sticker that is hard to scratch and protect the bumper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do need something to protect the bumper but my concern is if the adhesive does fail, as a fair number sof reviews have indicated, it will be a mess if it peals and takes paint with it.

It is a common item for other hatch back vehicles,.....And I'd have thought that Honda would have come up with something a bit more substantial.

If anyone has any other suggestions I would appreciate them.

Regards,

·
Registered
3,516 Posts

Any suggestions?
Local auto parts stores sell wide protective body side molding that could do a better job of protecting the sill above the bumper. Cut to size and the 3M tape should hold it.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I installed mine almost 14 months ago. Almost daily and usually several times a day our German Shepard mix jumps into the rear of the vehicle. She usually lands with her hind feet on the top of the bumper where I have installed this protective strip. No damages, uncurling, loosening, etc yet. I don't anticipate any either. As a back up plan though I did purchase an extra NIB protector from a member on here who had sold his Pilot before installing his.

I installed the cover myself, just have to take your time and be careful. I ended up with a slight wrinkle for a few inches where it had to be bent over the edge of the bumper but it really doesn't show for what it is. I had checked with a few tint companies locally but they wanted a pretty high price to put some similar film protector on the area. Theirs would have been clear, the Honda one is black. I wanted black on my white bumper.

I wish they did offer a thicker rubber one but since they don't I went with this one. I had purchased a rubber generic one on eBay for around 6 or 7 dollars and put it on a different vehicle which I had leased. I had to use super glue to get it to stay on and not lift. The dealer knew what I was going to do and had no problem with me doing it. I didn't want to super glue anything to the Pilot since I own but it really never caused any problems on the other car.

Reactions: 2017EX-L

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Scotchgard 3m clear bra

·
Registered
261 Posts
Installed this on my '16 Pilot a couple of years ago. I think I wiped with alcohol as a final step to help make sure the bumpr was squeaky clean, but otherwise just followed Honda's installation instructions that came with it. Looks fine still and is wearing well.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had the dealer install one for free on my 2019 Touring before purchase. There was a slight nick in the bumper seam that I demanded be fixed, and this seemed to be the most viable solution. It is 2 years and 3 weeks old (one of first 2000 2019 Pilots made), and it has held up well. Still looks brand new.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EXL AWD
93 Posts
I do need something to protect the bumper but my concern is if the adhesive does fail, as a fair number sof reviews have indicated, it will be a mess if it peals and takes paint with it.

It is a common item for other hatch back vehicles,.....And I'd have thought that Honda would have come up with something a bit more substantial.

If anyone has any other suggestions I would appreciate them.

Regards,
I have this on my 2019 EXL and I can say this has saved me from scratching my bumper while loading and unloading equipments.

It is very tacky and I don't think you'll have issues of it peeling as long as you clean the surface per instructions.

There are some instructions at www.hondaautomotiveparts.com
that you can download the PDF.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's confounding, I've read about people who have had very bad luck with the Honda part. They've said that not only didn't the adhesive last but when it came off it took the paint with it!

And then hexenbeist65 couldn't be happier with it. I'll prep the sub-straight surface and apply it according to the manufacture's recommendations.

I do appreciate the helpful replies.

Best regards,

·
Registered
2020 Pilot EX-L
7 Posts
I bought the 3M PPF Pro from YelloPro on Amazon, they were responsive to a few of my questions. I also wrote an Amazon review with a photo of the film: Amazon.com: YelloPro Custom Fit Rear Trunk Bumper Edge 3M Scotchgard Paint Protector Film Anti Scratch Clear Bra Self Healing Guard Kit for 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Honda Pilot LX, EX, EX-L, Touring, Elite SUV: Automotive

I like it though take note of where it misses coverage near the edges. Not a huge deal though if it is look for the other eBay seller custom clear bras with the same 3M product it has little tabs that cover the entire flat part of the bumper. Easy to install watch a couple YouTube videos and take your time.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I bought the 3M PPF Pro from YelloPro on Amazon, they were responsive to a few of my questions. I also wrote an Amazon review with a photo of the film: Amazon.com: YelloPro Custom Fit Rear Trunk Bumper Edge 3M Scotchgard Paint Protector Film Anti Scratch Clear Bra Self Healing Guard Kit for 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Honda Pilot LX, EX, EX-L, Touring, Elite SUV: Automotive

I like it though take note of where it misses coverage near the edges. Not a huge deal though if it is look for the other eBay seller custom clear bras with the same 3M product it has little tabs that cover the entire flat part of the bumper. Easy to install watch a couple YouTube videos and take your time.

I read your review. It's given me more food for thought. I believe that I do want something that goes all the way across,......But I'm not sure that I want something that goes past the horizontal aspect of the bumper and onto the vertical aspect of the bumper.

The color of my Pilot is called "Modern Steel," not a charcoal grey but definitely a dark grey. I only have 20K miles and the paint is very close to new so I have an appointment to have the hood, front bumper, fenders, mirrors as well as the fog lights wrapped by a local guy that comes highly recommended.

When he does the wrap I believe I'll either have the factory black item installed or, if the factory item does not go all the way across I'll have him cut a piece of the Xpel wrap in black and install it along with the front clear wrap.

Thank you,

·
Registered
813 Posts
It's confounding, I've read about people who have had very bad luck with the Honda part. They've said that not only didn't the adhesive last but when it came off it took the paint with it!

And then hexenbeist65 couldn't be happier with it. I'll prep the sub-straight surface and apply it according to the manufacture's recommendations.

Best regards,
If I were you, I wouldn't get the Honda part since it peels the paint. You could try to go to a detailer and ask them to put a clear wrap on just that part of the bumper.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EXL AWD
93 Posts
I really don't understand where "it peels the paint" issue arise.
I have a 08 CivicSi prior to the Pilot and it also has the same bumper applique. Owned the car for 8 years and it never peeled off until the last day.
Just a question, if the applique is peeling the paint off with it, why are you peeling it off?

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EXL AWD
93 Posts

Best regards,
Be sure to follow the instructions and also use the alcohol pad that came with it. It will strip the paint of any wax on the paint. Use clean microfiber or any clean cloth to clean it afterwards.
Work your way from the middle going towards either left or right and do it slowly. You'll get good results. Good luck.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Have one installed on mine since new, January 2017. Still looks good with no signs of lifting.

Reactions: 2017EX-L
1 - 20 of 20 Posts