Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Honda Pilot, Touring, AWD
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While driving my 2017 Honda Pilot (Touring, AWD, about 54,500 miles on odometer) on the freeway at about 60-65 mph, when I press on the gas pedal and try to accelerate, the pedal goes limp and goes all the way to the floor, the rpm's go to zero and the car gas pedal is not responsive. The car coasts and there is no resistance to the pedal either. No warning lights are shown on the dashboard and I am not using cruise control, Lane Keeping Assist System, economy mode, or engine idle stop either. The dashboard backlighting remains on and there is no indication of any other failures. After pressing down repeatedly on the gas pedal for about 15-20 seconds, the gas pedal starts working again. This is a big safety issue, since the car gas pedal is completely unresponsive, so I cannot accelerate to change lanes, avoid another car, etc. and this occurs at random times on the freeway.

On May 5, 2021 I took my Honda Pilot to the dealer and on that same day the Honda service technician told me they drove my car and did duplicate the problem and obtained lots of error codes. He said my Pilot is “unsafe and unfit to drive” and that driving it could result in loss of vehicle control, injury to me / others, and possibly death, so they will not return it to me until they fix the problem. The dealer has had the car since May 5, 2021 and has not been able to fix it so far, despite working with the Honda "tech-line". The Honda dealer service person told me they have recorded many error codes, but some of the codes are “not current codes” and they don't know how to fix it so far.

On May 12, the dealer requested an "expert" from Honda in Torrance, CA (headquarters I'm told) to come to the dealer on-site (S. California), but the expert cannot arrive until May 21, 2021. I purchased the 8-year / 120,000 Honda extended warranty (from Honda) and have followed the recommended maintenance to-date with all services performed by Honda dealers only. They provided me with a low-end loaner car, but so far are clueless regarding how to fix my Honda Pilot. I filed a complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) too.

Also, when driving at low speeds, the gas pedal is often unresponsive and lags for about 3-5 seconds when I press on the pedal (it doesn't go limp to the floor, it just doesn't accelerate) making the car hesitate. And when the car changes gears at low speeds, it is often very jerky (not smooth) and this occurs randomly. The Honda dealer service person told me that is "normal" for my Honda Pilot due to the 9-speed transmission and is not associated with the gas pedal going limp / coasting on the freeway (as described above), but I wonder if the two issues are in fact related.

Any suggestions? How long is reasonable for them to attempt to fix it? Is it time for an attorney soon? Thank you!

·
Registered
11,507 Posts
While driving my 2017 Honda Pilot (Touring, AWD, about 54,500 miles on odometer) on the freeway at about 60-65 mph, when I press on the gas pedal and try to accelerate, the pedal goes limp and goes all the way to the floor, the rpm's go to zero and the car gas pedal is not responsive. The car coasts and there is no resistance to the pedal either. No warning lights are shown on the dashboard and I am not using cruise control, Lane Keeping Assist System, economy mode, or engine idle stop either. The dashboard backlighting remains on and there is no indication of any other failures. After pressing down repeatedly on the gas pedal for about 15-20 seconds, the gas pedal starts working again. This is a big safety issue, since the car gas pedal is completely unresponsive, so I cannot accelerate to change lanes, avoid another car, etc. and this occurs at random times on the freeway.

On May 5, 2021 I took my Honda Pilot to the dealer and on that same day the Honda service technician told me they drove my car and did duplicate the problem and obtained lots of error codes. He said my Pilot is “unsafe and unfit to drive” and that driving it could result in loss of vehicle control, injury to me / others, and possibly death, so they will not return it to me until they fix the problem. The dealer has had the car since May 5, 2021 and has not been able to fix it so far, despite working with the Honda "tech-line". The Honda dealer service person told me they have recorded many error codes, but some of the codes are “not current codes” and they don't know how to fix it so far.

On May 12, the dealer requested an "expert" from Honda in Torrance, CA (headquarters I'm told) to come to the dealer on-site (S. California), but the expert cannot arrive until May 21, 2021. I purchased the 8-year / 120,000 Honda extended warranty (from Honda) and have followed the recommended maintenance to-date with all services performed by Honda dealers only. They provided me with a low-end loaner car, but so far are clueless regarding how to fix my Honda Pilot. I filed a complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) too.

Also, when driving at low speeds, the gas pedal is often unresponsive and lags for about 3-5 seconds when I press on the pedal (it doesn't go limp to the floor, it just doesn't accelerate) making the car hesitate. And when the car changes gears at low speeds, it is often very jerky (not smooth) and this occurs randomly. The Honda dealer service person told me that is "normal" for my Honda Pilot due to the 9-speed transmission and is not associated with the gas pedal going limp / coasting on the freeway (as described above), but I wonder if the two issues are in fact related.

Any suggestions? How long is reasonable for them to attempt to fix it? Is it time for an attorney soon? Thank you!
Your putting miles on their loaner. Sounds like a good time for a long vacation/roadtrip. Yosemite National Park, maybe the Grand Canyon. 😁👍

Reactions: Pathfinder_actual

·
Registered
577 Posts
It's time to ask them for a better loaner, then take the road trip that @Nail Grease suggests.

Since you're still in your warranty and they've already declared your car "unsafe", CA lemon law protection applies. Now they have to either fix it in a "reasonable" number of attempts, or compensate you.

If you get an adequate substitute for your Pilot that you're driving for free, you can comfortably let them take as long as they like to work on yours. I would use this as a negotiating point - they're already 18 days into trying. At 30, you're getting into "lemon" territory.

I wouldn't engage a lawyer if you can get the better loaner yourself. That's just going to complicate things, and the lawyer will be primarily concerned with finding ways to get paid quickly. You can always push that button if it comes down to getting adequate compensation, or if time is dragging on.

·
Registered
886 Posts
It's time to ask them for a better loaner, then take the road trip that @Nail Grease suggests.

Since you're still in your warranty and they've already declared your car "unsafe", CA lemon law protection applies. Now they have to either fix it in a "reasonable" number of attempts, or compensate you.

If you get an adequate substitute for your Pilot that you're driving for free, you can comfortably let them take as long as they like to work on yours. I would use this as a negotiating point - they're already 18 days into trying. At 30, you're getting into "lemon" territory.

I wouldn't engage a lawyer if you can get the better loaner yourself. That's just going to complicate things, and the lawyer will be primarily concerned with finding ways to get paid quickly. You can always push that button if it comes down to getting adequate compensation, or if time is dragging on.
A 2017 model is 4 year old already. Each state is different when it comes to the "Lemon law" including how old the vehicle is, how many miles, how many times a repair has been attempted, etc.

Check with a qualified lemon law attorney for your specific state, or check on line for your state's guidelines. Many attorneys handle lemon law cases for no charge to the owner since the manufacturer pays their fees.

·
Registered
577 Posts
A 2017 model is 4 year old already. Each state is different when it comes to the "Lemon law" including how old the vehicle is, how many miles, how many times a repair has been attempted, etc.
OP stated that they purchased an 8-year extended warranty from Honda. CA lemon law is based on "breach of warranty" if the vehicle doesn't make it to the end of the warranty period. I'm speculating that the dealer's immediate designation as "unsafe to drive" suggests that they're thinking the same thing.

If nothing else, this is the first good reason I've come across to buy an extended warranty on a new car.

I hope that the OP will update this on what happens.

·
Registered
9,793 Posts
Your putting miles on their loaner. Sounds like a good time for a long vacation/roadtrip. Yosemite National Park, maybe the Grand Canyon. 😁👍
The OP is in SoCal. A trip to ME or FL might be more effective.

·
Registered
886 Posts
OP stated that they purchased an 8-year extended warranty from Honda. CA lemon law is based on "breach of warranty" if the vehicle doesn't make it to the end of the warranty period. I'm speculating that the dealer's immediate designation as "unsafe to drive" suggests that they're thinking the same thing.

If nothing else, this is the first good reason I've come across to buy an extended warranty on a new car.

I hope that the OP will update this on what happens.
I am not an attorney, and not sure if you are. Does an extended warranty count as "breach of warranty"? Not everyone purchases an extended warranty so not everyone would get the same "breach of warranty" that you are saying this owner is entitled to. Breach of warranty may apply to just the factory original warranty?

My original thought is still the same and that is for the owner to seek the advice of a legal professional who deals with these situations in that state, and not legal advice obtained by other non professional sources.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Just did a quick Google and found this regarding the California Lemon Law. This is why a professional legal representative should give legal advice.

The Warranty Act protects you during the entire period that the factory warranty is in effect. (Based on a 2002 court case, the Warranty Act doesn’t apply to autos with optional extended service contracts.)

Now if there is still some factory warranty left such as the powertrain warranty, and the problem is covered under that warranty, then "breach of warranty" may apply. There are other stipulations such as the vehicle had to have been purchased or leased originally in California.

Not going to debate something I am not familiar with with nor licensed to give legal advice about. Good luck to the OP and I also would like to hear any follow up or findings.

CA Lemon Law

·
Registered
1 Posts

We are having the same issue you describe in your post. Did they figure out what the issue was? Our car is at the dealer now. They first called and said they couldn't duplicate. We asked them to drive it more on the freeway.

·
Registered
2005 Honda pilot EX-L (Big Ronda)
168 Posts
My thoughts exactly! Road trip time on someone else's time and maintenance!

To me it sounds like a TPS or Drive-by-wire throttle pedal issue. But, I have zero experience with the ZF 9 speeds and anything newer then a 2015 tbh. They do alot of wierd things I've heard especially with around town driving. I mean 9 gears is alot. I remember the Lexus 10 speed autos and they love to "hunt" for gears while driving in town. Id assume the ZF's do something similar at low speeds.

·
Registered
2017 Honda Pilot EX-L
1 Posts

Its the Fuel Injector problem. I have the same problem. Your EMISSION SYSTEM PROBLEM light will eventually go on

1 - 11 of 11 Posts