Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
541 - 559 of 559 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think if I'm reading this correctly, you're asking if a 2017 unit will work in a 2016 Pilot to get Apple CarPlay? If that is what you're asking, then yes, it will work. I have a 2016 Touring and installed a 2017 headunit to get CarPlay. The only issue I have had with it is that the compass on the main gauge display does not work (I haven't figured out if it is an issue with the unit or if I screwed something up installing/updating it); however, I think that is just an isolated case and not a compatibility issue as no one else seems to be having the same problem from my research.
Thanks for the reply. What is the radio part number you ordered? I have 2017 LX with non touch screen radio and I want to order the correct radio with Car play.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Thanks for the reply. What is the radio part number you ordered? I have 2017 LX with non touch screen radio and I want to order the correct radio with Car play.
I bought a 2017 Touring radio from someone on here for my 2016 Touring; part number: 39540-TG7-A42 For what it's worth, the list of 2017 radio part numbers, and various install instructions, are contained in this thread.

Part numbers post:

One of many posts outlining installation experience:

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
2016 Honda Pilot Elite
68 Posts
Anyone know if a 2019 Elite radio is compatible with a 2016 Elite? Or will it be completely screwed up?

·
Registered
2016 Honda Pilot Elite
68 Posts
Oh. Thanks! So are you saying a touring or elite radio will work with the RES? It seems the model I have is so rare lol. I thought the higher end ones had more speakers and a different pin structure and assumed they wouldn’t work in mine.
Also. If anyone can answer this - I found a 2019 that matches my trim exactly. I know they took away the blinker cam in the 2019s but would the software still register it and it work in the 2016? Out of my depth here but I would think it may.
Were you able to get a 2019 to fit in your 2016? I found a 2019 elite to put in my 2016 elite but I don't know if it's going to be completely screwed up or not

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have a 2016 touring. Is it just me or do all the used sites only have 2016 touring black boxes available; no 2017 or 2018?

Will a 2019 touring radio work in a 2016 touring?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I also have the same situation. It is essential that your mobile app development team has the experience and expertise required to deliver high quality CRM solutions. Your company could save a great deal of money if you outsourced your CRM solutions to a company with proven CRM expertise mlsdev.com/blog/hire-app-developer . Your IT recruitment agency should have a well-developed portfolio of their own CRM solutions along with examples of their own successful CRM solutions that they successfully delivered. Your company could save a great deal of money if you chose an agency that already possesses the necessary expertise to design, develop, and implement your CRM solutions in house.

·
Registered
2016 Honda Pilot Elite
68 Posts
Just got a 2017 Pilot Elite radio installed into my 2016 Elite yesterday! I went to Car Toys and they were able to install the radio for me for $110 w/ tax.

They didn't go through the whole bypassing the anti-theft system for me but that was no big deal. I entered the secret menu, found the serial number for the radio, and was able to find the radio code on the website listed on page 17 I think using the donor vehicle's VIN. I got it right on the 6th code.

That said, anyone have any recommendations for a phone holder/cord combo or even a wireless Apple Carplay adapter so that I don't need to plug my phone in every time?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Just got a 2017 Pilot Elite radio installed into my 2016 Elite yesterday! I went to Car Toys and they were able to install the radio for me for $110 w/ tax.

They didn't go through the whole bypassing the anti-theft system for me but that was no big deal. I entered the secret menu, found the serial number for the radio, and was able to find the radio code on the website listed on page 17 I think using the donor vehicle's VIN. I got it right on the 6th code.

That said, anyone have any recommendations for a phone holder/cord combo or even a wireless Apple Carplay adapter so that I don't need to plug my phone in every time?
Sorry, I don't have an answer to your question; but, I was curious of another related topic. I put a 2017 Touring unit in my 2016 Touring to gain Apple CarPlay; however, mine seems to have an issue where the compass (on the main gauge cluster) does not work (it is locked at whatever heading the vehicle was facing at the time of power up, currently set to East, regardless of where I drive). I'm just curious if you're having the same issue with your unit (compass calibration in the Owners Manual does nothing to resolve this).

·
Registered
2016 Honda Pilot Elite
68 Posts
Sorry, I don't have an answer to your question; but, I was curious of another related topic. I put a 2017 Touring unit in my 2016 Touring to gain Apple CarPlay; however, mine seems to have an issue where the compass (on the main gauge cluster) does not work (it is locked at whatever heading the vehicle was facing at the time of power up, currently set to East, regardless of where I drive). I'm just curious if you're having the same issue with your unit (compass calibration in the Owners Manual does nothing to resolve this).
Yup, mine does have the same issue. I haven't read anything on how to fix it. However, I live in Colorado, so I don't really need a compass because we all know the mountains are to the west here haha. It is a little annoying that that the compass doesn't work, but it's no deal breaker to me.

·
Registered
40 Posts

This worked perfectly for me. $103 after coupon.

·
Registered
2016 Honda Pilot Elite
68 Posts
This worked perfectly for me. $103 after coupon.

Not too bad of a price! I'll have to see if I can justify saving 5 seconds every time I get in the car to just have my phone auto-connect through bluetooth or just plug the phone in myself :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yup, mine does have the same issue. I haven't read anything on how to fix it. However, I live in Colorado, so I don't really need a compass because we all know the mountains are to the west here haha. It is a little annoying that that the compass doesn't work, but it's no deal breaker to me.
Ok, so it is not just me. I don't really find that I "need" a compass, I just want things to work as they should (plus have CarPlay). With the factory 2016 unit, in addition to the compass, the navigation prompts would also be displayed when using the factory Nav system; with the 2017 unit, this feature is no longer working as well (it is the same screen as the compass so I'm thinking they're related). This has me wondering if there is a card or something in the 2016 unit that can be swapped to the 2017 unit to restore compass (and possibly navigation prompts) functionality; I just haven't disassembled my 2016 unit yet to look (I was hoping someone else would have figured this out by now to save me the time as I'm no expert).

Reactions: Coorio

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey folks! New 2016 EX-L owner here looking for a 2017/2018 headunit for the last month, zero luck so far. No RES, don't care about Navigation. Any tips? I called a few places listed on Car-Part.com but haven't had any luck.

·
Registered
2016 Honda Pilot Elite
68 Posts
Hey folks! New 2016 EX-L owner here looking for a 2017/2018 headunit for the last month, zero luck so far. No RES, don't care about Navigation. Any tips? I called a few places listed on Car-Part.com but haven't had any luck.
Huh, I'm surprised that you're having trouble with it. I thought that EX-L units were way more readily available than higher trims. It took me like 2 months of daily checking to find my 2017 Elite radio. Felt like trying to find a unicorn with.

Have you tried LKQOnline?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Huh, I'm surprised that you're having trouble with it. I thought that EX-L units were way more readily available than higher trims. It took me like 2 months of daily checking to find my 2017 Elite radio. Felt like trying to find a unicorn with.

Have you tried LKQOnline?
I have checked there, there was one listed (in California) and when I called, Mike told me essentially to get lost, he wouldn't sell it to me. 🤷

·
Registered
4 Posts
Maybe what we need to do is put out an Android coding bounty, as a community. Everyone throws in a pledge for $5, $20, whatever they can, and when the total amount pledged is enough to attract the attention of someone that knows what they're doing, they pull apart and export the Honda software in the OEM headunits, and publish it as an app you can install on any one of the Android-based aftermarket headunits that are far and above better than the Honda ones. Then we're free, we can buy any headunit and install the software to connect with the rest of the vehicles settings, resulting in no lost functionality. That's the pipedream, at least. Guess I'll go refresh car-part.com again...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Not too bad of a price! I'll have to see if I can justify saving 5 seconds every time I get in the car to just have my phone auto-connect through bluetooth or just plug the phone in myself :)
It's a really nice quality of life upgrade. My wife appreciates not having to dig the phone out of the bottom of her purse every time that she gets in the car.

My suggestion would be to just watch the prices over time. I got mine at a better price ($89 with 2 day prime shipping) because I ordered on Cyber Monday and the manufacturer offered an even better coupon on Amazon. It was the best price I saw and I knew that if it didn't work I could return it no questions asked.

·
Registered
2016 Honda Pilot Elite
68 Posts
It's a really nice quality of life upgrade. My wife appreciates not having to dig the phone out of the bottom of her purse every time that she gets in the car.

My suggestion would be to just watch the prices over time. I got mine at a better price ($89 with 2 day prime shipping) because I ordered on Cyber Monday and the manufacturer offered an even better coupon on Amazon. It was the best price I saw and I knew that if it didn't work I could return it no questions asked.
Definitely sounds like it. Kinda starting to get annoying having to pull my phone out of my pocket to connect it after I get off work lol.

I've read arguments about it being nice to have your phone charged all the time but man when does my iphone 12 pro max ever get close to dying haha

541 - 559 of 559 Posts