Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

521 - 540 of 545 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Question for the veterans that have done this swap, i have just installed a 18 ex radio(used) 39540-tg7-a04 on my 2016 exl, all good with the install thanks for the help on this thread. Now to my question i cant seem to get past the anti theft screen permanently every time i start the car. I mean i can get past it if i go to diagnostics and do the skip anti theft, everything works. Carplay included, but doing this everytime? There must be something i missed. I've also done the menu hold and put diagnostic to

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you have Nav now you will care about having Nav after the swap. If memory serves me correctly the Nav system on the 2016 and later also is where many functions are changed. You might want to start with page 344 in the Owners manual to see what all functions you will no longer have access to, to make changes. All accessed through the Nav unit.
Thanks! I could care less about the navigation. I want to retain the rear entertainment, amplifier, lane watch and 10 speakers. I couldn’t tell if any of those would go away or not. Anyone happen to know. I would look to get an exl unit with rear entertainment hookup.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,296 Posts
Thanks! I could care less about the navigation. I want to retain the rear entertainment, amplifier, lane watch and 10 speakers. I couldn’t tell if any of those would go away or not. Anyone happen to know. I would look to get an exl unit with rear entertainment hookup.
I will assume then that you realize without the Nav system working you can't make changes to the rear camera, color, contrast, tint and guidelines, make any adjustments/changes to the driver assist system, aka LKAS, CMBS, RDMS, and Blind Spot options, the keyless entry system options, interior lighting options, door lock and power tailgate options, reset the MM if you DIY, to name just a few.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I will assume then that you realize without the Nav system working you can't make changes to the rear camera, color, contrast, tint and guidelines, make any adjustments/changes to the driver assist system, aka LKAS, CMBS, RDMS, and Blind Spot options, the keyless entry system options, interior lighting options, door lock and power tailgate options, reset the MM if you DIY, to name just a few.
yep. Totally have to install the nav unit! Ugh! I just made the decision to buy a used touring nav unit and install it. I fear by the time I bring it to service to fix I’d be out more money. It boots up now, but then just goes blank after the Honda Connect screen. I’ve tried fuses and battery resets. The issue is I messed with a boot menu by accident after rooting the system and I screwed it up. Tough lesson to learn!

·
Super Moderator
4,296 Posts
yep. Totally have to install the nav unit! Ugh! I just made the decision to buy a used touring nav unit and install it. I fear by the time I bring it to service to fix I’d be out more money. It boots up now, but then just goes blank after the Honda Connect screen. I’ve tried fuses and battery resets. The issue is I messed with a boot menu by accident after rooting the system and I screwed it up. Tough lesson to learn!
Thats why I double checked with you. While you may not care for or need the Nav in the Nav unit, the Nav unit is the operational connection to the computer system to make changes too the settings too many of the electronic features in the vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
4,296 Posts
No problem, I did however forget to mention the "Secret Menu", service menu that is run through the head unit. Here is an example of just one screen for the service menu.

The most common use for owners it to re-aim the back up camera. If you do a thread search we talked about the "Secret Menu" a while back and it includes a PDF of how to enter it and if I remember correctly a PDF of the various functions that can be performed through the service menu.

·
Registered
1 Posts
*** Just wanted to thank all the posts in here that help me buy the right unit and install it pretty easy in my 2016 Honda Pilot EX. Bought a unit from car-parts.com ($320 with screen) from a 2017 pilot EX-L w/out nav or RES. PART# 39540-TG7-A12 replacing my original #39540-TG7-A01. I received the new unit with the screen detached and was worried that one of the ribbons was out at one end from the receiver and thought I wouldn't be able to connect it back when I'll put the screen back on the receiver, BUT I found answers in post #107, I took the screws out from the bottom of the receiver and the cover came off, and that's how you connect the ribbon back after you attach the screen. I hope I was clear in my description....

I'm also attaching some pics...

The only thing that I've noticed is that sometimes the phone S21+ didn't connect right away and I need to keep unplug it and replug it back and then it connects to Android Auto... Don't understand why...

In rest it just works fine 😁📱

I watched this video for the removal...

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Got mine from hondapartsnetwork. The dealership is in Illinois so no tax for me since I'm in Cali. Got it for $852. All EX and above non navi is the same unit with CarPlay/Android auto. The version with installed Honda navi is 1200. The Honda garmin does do a vin check so I'm not sure how to activate it.

That's an amazing deal you got. Right now I'm seeing them for $1300-$2000 which puts it out of my budget.
This is making me nuts though. I love my Pilot but I'm so mad about the infotainment system. It sucks!!

I think I'm going to have to get a 2017 and try to put it in...I called Honda, they don't care. Called a local dealership and they advised me (of course) not to do anything to it...that nothing would work and that no two years have the same parts and that something is different on the back end so it's not an option. They recommended going with a third party aftermarket radio, but then I lose the aux and the USB inputs.
I'm at a loss for what to do but I think this is the best option - what I'm seeing above.

Has anyone else attempted this?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Got mine from hondapartsnetwork. The dealership is in Illinois so no tax for me since I'm in Cali. Got it for $852. All EX and above non navi is the same unit with CarPlay/Android auto. The version with installed Honda navi is 1200. The Honda garmin does do a vin check so I'm not sure how to activate it.

That's an amazing deal you got. Right now I'm seeing them for $1300-$2000 which puts it out of my budget.
This is making me nuts though. I love my Pilot but I'm so mad about the infotainment system. It sucks!!

I think I'm going to have to get a 2017 and try to put it in...I called Honda, they don't care. Called a local dealership and they advised me (of course) not to do anything to it...that nothing would work and that no two years have the same parts and that something is different on the back end so it's not an option. They recommended going with a third party aftermarket radio, but then I lose the aux and the USB inputs.
I'm at a loss for what to do but I think this is the best option - what I'm seeing above.

Has anyone else attempted this?
Buy used from LCQ or ebay like the rest of the folks on this forum. The supply of totalled 2017+Pilots in junkyards with perfectly fine head units should be in decent supply.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have a 2016 touring. Is it just me or do all the used sites only have 2016 touring black boxes available; no 2017 or 2018?

Will a 2019 touring work in a 2016?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi All,

I have 2017 Pilot LX with non touch Radio. I want to swap the radio with the Airplay. Any suggestion which will fit in my Pilot

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hi All,

I have 2017 Pilot LX with non touch Radio. I want to swap the radio with the Airplay. Any suggestion which will fit in my Pilot
Go to Crutchfield and enter your vehicle. It will tell you which unit will fit.

·
Registered
2016 Honda Pilot Elite
46 Posts
Anyone know if a 2017 touring radio will be perfectly fine/compatible with a 2016 radio to get apple carplay?

I've been having trouble finding a 2017 elite edition.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Go to Crutchfield and enter your vehicle. It will tell you which unit will fit.
Thanks for your response. At Cruchfiled I am seeing only after Market Radios. I dont think I want to install that
I was asking the Honda OEM part numbers which will fit in my car

·
Registered
93 Posts
Anyone know if a 2017 touring radio will be perfectly fine/compatible with a 2016 radio to get apple carplay?

I've been having trouble finding a 2017 elite edition.
I think if I'm reading this correctly, you're asking if a 2017 unit will work in a 2016 Pilot to get Apple CarPlay? If that is what you're asking, then yes, it will work. I have a 2016 Touring and installed a 2017 headunit to get CarPlay. The only issue I have had with it is that the compass on the main gauge display does not work (I haven't figured out if it is an issue with the unit or if I screwed something up installing/updating it); however, I think that is just an isolated case and not a compatibility issue as no one else seems to be having the same problem from my research.

·
Registered
2016 Honda Pilot Elite
46 Posts
I think if I'm reading this correctly, you're asking if a 2017 unit will work in a 2016 Pilot to get Apple CarPlay? If that is what you're asking, then yes, it will work. I have a 2016 Touring and installed a 2017 headunit to get CarPlay. The only issue I have had with it is that the compass on the main gauge display does not work (I haven't figured out if it is an issue with the unit or if I screwed something up installing/updating it); however, I think that is just an isolated case and not a compatibility issue as no one else seems to be having the same problem from my research.
Well, more of what I'm asking is will a 2017 "touring" trim radio be compatible with a 2016 "elite" trim? What I understood was that if you have a 2016 EX-L trim, you need to have a 2017 EX-L. I didn't know if the same goes for a touring vs elite trim

·
Registered
2016 Honda Pilot Elite
46 Posts
Well, more of what I'm asking is will a 2017 "touring" trim radio be compatible with a 2016 "elite" trim? What I understood was that if you have a 2016 EX-L trim, you need to have a 2017 EX-L. I didn't know if the same goes for a touring vs elite trim for a 2017 radio going to a 2016

·
Registered
93 Posts
Well, more of what I'm asking is will a 2017 "touring" trim radio be compatible with a 2016 "elite" trim? What I understood was that if you have a 2016 EX-L trim, you need to have a 2017 EX-L. I didn't know if the same goes for a touring vs elite trim
It has been awhile since I looked (although, I believe the information is buried in this thread somewhere); but, I know that some have installed cross trim radios without issue. However, if memory serves me correctly, it was something to the equivalent of a 2017 Touring radio into a 2016 EX-L. I don't recall something like a 2017 Touring radio going into a 2016 Elite; I think the one issue you may run into is the blind spot monitoring difference as the Touring and below have the camera where the Elite does not; but, I'm speculating and can't actually say for any certainty if it would work without issue (I just remember reading the part numbers for the individual radios were different).

Reactions: Coorio
521 - 540 of 545 Posts