Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

501 - 520 of 545 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Correction: once/hour as long as headunit remains on. So this is why the trick of advancing time worked for me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi, I had a similar issue with my 2018 headunit.

It seems the unlock code has been entered wrong several times. When this happens, the screen will only turn on once/day.

What you need to do is go to the special menu, by pressing the three buttons. You should be able to press the three buttons to go to special menu even on black screen.

Then, go to advanced menu in Android as shown in other threads, and there reset the time to default.
After reset, go back to main screen with back button and then you will hear a loud beep and the screen will turn on. At this stage, you can enter the unlock code once. If you enter it right, it will work. If you enter it wrong, you have to turn off the car, then turn it on and repeat the above steps.

Thank you for the reply but I never get to this point. I turn the car on, you get the honda startup screen then the screen goes black, the backup camera and blind spot camera work but the screen is black with the buttons illuminated on the left side. I have tried the Developer Mode with the 3-button but nothing comes up. I have tried disconnecting the battery (BCR)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thank you for the reply but I never get to this point. I turn the car on, you get the honda startup screen then the screen goes black, the backup camera and blind spot camera work but the screen is black with the buttons illuminated on the left side. I have tried the Developer Mode with the 3-button but nothing comes up. I have tried disconnecting the battery (BCR)
Try pressing the three buttons as soon as you turn on car, i.e. before it gets black.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I read through this whole thread and wow. Great stuff! I have a question though that I'm not sure was answered. I have a 2016 EX-L with the Rear Entertainment package. I ordered a radio from a 2017 EX (it was all I could find that didn't cost $800). Does anyone know if the unit in the 2017 EX and EX-L with the RES are the same? I'm thinking it probably is and that the unit only shows the RES controls if it reads the wiring structure. Here's hoping anyway. If anyone can confirm or deny my suspicions though you'll save me a tear-out and fingers crossed test. I'd rather go back to the radio hunt now than get one in that doesn't do what it needs to (wife was over the moon about the DVD capabilities).

Any help here would be appreciated!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I read through this whole thread and wow. Great stuff! I have a question though that I'm not sure was answered. I have a 2016 EX-L with the Rear Entertainment package. I ordered a radio from a 2017 EX (it was all I could find that didn't cost $800). Does anyone know if the unit in the 2017 EX and EX-L with the RES are the same? I'm thinking it probably is and that the unit only shows the RES controls if it reads the wiring structure. Here's hoping anyway. If anyone can confirm or deny my suspicions though you'll save me a tear-out and fingers crossed test. I'd rather go back to the radio hunt now than get one in that doesn't do what it needs to (wife was over the moon about the DVD capabilities).

Any help here would be appreciated!
Well, I've answered my own question. Another order to cancel. Goodness. Does anyone know where I might find a 2017 or 2018 radio for the EX-L that supports RES? The usual sites listed throughout here are coming up dry. I found one from a 2019 but I don't want to lose the blinker camera.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well, I've answered my own question. Another order to cancel. Goodness. Does anyone know where I might find a 2017 or 2018 radio for the EX-L that supports RES? The usual sites listed throughout here are coming up dry. I found one from a 2019 but I don't want to lose the blinker camera.
Yes. Check car-part.com

Search for the model and year and you'll get scrapyards willing to ship. That's how I got mine. Your RES unit will need the light blue and white housing in addition to the regular inputs. With an EX-L or higher would have those as the Touring and Elite come standard with RES. I'd def search for an exact trim match tho. Aside from the Navi arrows acting funny somtimes above the wheel, everything else including bluetooth calls and CarPlay/android auto works perfectly.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yes. Check car-part.com

Search for the model and year and you'll get scrapyards willing to ship. That's how I got mine. Your RES unit will need the light blue and white housing in addition to the regular inputs. With an EX-L or higher would have those as the Touring and Elite come standard with RES. I'd def search for an exact trim match tho. Aside from the Navi arrows acting funny somtimes above the wheel, everything else including bluetooth calls and CarPlay/android auto works perfectly.
Oh. Thanks! So are you saying a touring or elite radio will work with the RES? It seems the model I have is so rare lol. I thought the higher end ones had more speakers and a different pin structure and assumed they wouldn’t work in mine.
Also. If anyone can answer this - I found a 2019 that matches my trim exactly. I know they took away the blinker cam in the 2019s but would the software still register it and it work in the 2016? Out of my depth here but I would think it may.

·
Registered
22 Posts
One more - asking for a friend: Will a radio from a 2017 EX enable full touchscreen functionality if it's installed into a 2016 EX? The factory radio doesn't have touch but I"m assuming that tech is in the box, not the car.

I'm the resident "do it all tech guy" in my hood so once my buddy with a pilot heard I was doing mine he hit me up lol.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Cross Posting from a thread I started as I think I might get better traction here:

I have a 2016 EX-L w/o nav but w/RES. I’ve read all the posts about swapping radios for CarPlay but that seems crazy.
I’ve seen someone take the software from a 2017 CR-V and load it onto their 2016 unit to get CarPlay functionality. I’m assuming we can do this!

What I need to test it is simple. usb.honda.com will let you download an update file for your vehicle in the event an over the air update is not an option. To do this you have to provide a file downloaded from your vehicle. The instructions to get it are on the website.

I’m fairly confident that if I can get the 2017 update file I can load it onto my unit and viola, CarPlay will work like it did in the cr-v video. If this works I will outline the process in detail and be happy to share.

I just need someone with the 2017 EX-L w/out navigation AND with the rear entertainment system to get me the appropriate file (through Drive or whatever)

·
Registered
774 Posts
Did any progress get made using this method? A rooted 2017 can be backed up? Then can it be restored on a 2016 through Nandroid? I'm surprised this didn't get more traction.
curious to know this answer as well. would definitely prefer this over buying a new black box

·
Registered
10 Posts
Did you ever find a fix?

·
Registered
10 Posts
If I buy an oem EXL receiver with rear entertainment hookup, will it power the amplifier and the 10 speakers in the a Touring? The back hookups look exactly the same and I could care less about having the navigation. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,296 Posts
If I buy an oem EXL receiver with rear entertainment hookup, will it power the amplifier and the 10 speakers in the a Touring? The back hookups look exactly the same and I could care less about having the navigation. Thanks!
If you have Nav now you will care about having Nav after the swap. If memory serves me correctly the Nav system on the 2016 and later also is where many functions are changed. You might want to start with page 344 in the Owners manual to see what all functions you will no longer have access to, to make changes. All accessed through the Nav unit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Question for the veterans that have done this swap, i have just installed a 18 exl radio(used) on my 2016 exl, all good with the install thanks for the help on this thread. Now to my question i cant seem to get past the anti theft screen permanently every time i start the car. I mean i can get past it if i go to diagnostics and do the skip anti theft, everything works. Carplay included, but doing this everytime? There must be something i missed. I've also done the menu hold and put diagnostic to completion but still everytime i start the car it pops to the antitheft please any help will be appreciated. The power hold for more than 2 second ls just does 3 beeps but then nothing or screen goes blank

when in diagnostic this is how it looks anything i'm missing?

501 - 520 of 545 Posts