Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

481 - 500 of 545 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I tried that solution, but don't see any visible response from the unit. Had that been the solution I would have definitely needed to 🤦‍♂️. Thanks for the suggestion nonetheless.

·
Registered
228 Posts
What's the difference between. Black-Box Assembly (Clarion) - Honda (39542-TG7-A14) and Display Audio (RMD) (Clarion) - Honda (39540-TG7-A14RM)

·
Registered
93 Posts
What's the difference between. Black-Box Assembly (Clarion) - Honda (39542-TG7-A14) and Display Audio (RMD) (Clarion) - Honda (39540-TG7-A14RM)

By my guess looking at things online, 39540-TG7-A14RM is the screen assembly for the black box unit 39542-TG7-A14. I don't think the RM unit includes the black box assembly assembly.

Reactions: Manguman

·
Registered
8 Posts
Quinn,

Did you get this fixed? I replaced my 2016 head unit with a 2017, which worked great...until the battery died. After replacing the battery, the screen is blank except when the rear or side camera are activated.
So, now I'm in the same boat! I had to replace my battery, and the 2017 headunit will not load to the Code Entry screen. It just boots up to the Honda splash screen and then goes blank. Were you (or anyone else) able to figure out how to enter a code after replacing the battery? Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I joined this forum to thank all those that provided input on this thread. I was able to successfully replace my '16 honda touring with a '17 unit from LKQ Online. The radio cost me $180. The screen had a couple of scratches; my original screen was in slightly better shape. But I didn't think it was worth the hassle to do a screen replacement.. I'm extremely happy to have come across this thread. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
2016 Pilot EX AWD.
27 Posts
I joined this forum to thank all those that provided input on this thread. I was able to successfully replace my '16 honda touring with a '17 unit from LKQ Online. The radio cost me $180. The screen had a couple of scratches; my original screen was in slightly better shape. But I didn't think it was worth the hassle to do a screen replacement.. I'm extremely happy to have come across this thread. Thanks everyone.
I am assuming that you did this to get CarPlay or Android Auto functionality. If so, are you happy with that functionality? I went to LKQ and put in the vehicle info, 2017 Pilot. When I clicked on the more info button the picture did not show the correct unit. All choices said the source was a 2016 Pilot. Can you provide any additional info like the part # you purchased.

·
Registered
228 Posts
is $700 a good price for a used 2018 EXL with a screen and receiver. The salvage place wants the sell both together or separately. I found a place listing like 5 2018 EX radio if anyone interested. I am posting because i am curious if it's just best to get the complete unit and not mess with having to remove the screen from my 2016 pilot

·
Registered
38 Posts
I tried that solution, but don't see any visible response from the unit. Had that been the solution I would have definitely needed to 🤦‍♂️. Thanks for the suggestion nonetheless.
Hi, did you get your head unit working? If so, how? Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Onomatos, would you give more background for your situation? Do you know the PIN already? Are you trying to re-establish the connection after replacing the car battery?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am assuming that you did this to get CarPlay or Android Auto functionality. If so, are you happy with that functionality? I went to LKQ and put in the vehicle info, 2017 Pilot. When I clicked on the more info button the picture did not show the correct unit. All choices said the source was a 2016 Pilot. Can you provide any additional info like the part # you purchased.
The part I bought also showed a generic radio in the picture and the part number didn't match up. The one thing I made sure of was that the donor vehicle was a 2017. If you order a 2017 radio with a donor vehicle of 2016, you probably won't get the radio that you're looking for. I'm pretty sure a 2018 vehicle will also work. My radio is still working perfectly and I'm very happy with the upgrade. I did decide to take it out and do the screen replacement. The scratches were far worse in direct sunlight.

Radio Audio
Radio - Audio Video Equipment TOURING ,5DR,B RECEIVER, US MARKET, TOURING
YMM Fits: 2017 HONDA PILOT​
1 EA​
$169.90​
Item Subtotal​
$169.90​
Sub Total:​
1​
$169.90​

·
Registered
38 Posts
Onomatos, would you give more background for your situation? Do you know the PIN already? Are you trying to re-establish the connection after replacing the car battery?
I haven't started the upgrade on my 2016 touring unit. I am gathering info before I start so I know if it will be successful. I'm also wondering if to keep lanewatch I have to get a 2017 touring unit or will elite unit work as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2016 Touring and swapped out the headunit from a 2017 Touring to get CarPlay. It takes patience, but it will work. My advice is to buy from an online junkyard where you know the donor car's VIN. Make sure that it's a 2017 donor. You then need to get the radio code from Honda (Corporate) if your seller does not have it. I don't know about your Elite question. I just don't know if the Elite added anything different in the headunit over a Touring - maybe it did - maybe it didn't?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Found this on ebay in case you're still looking:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wow, this thread has been active for quite some time, now.

I have a 2016 Pilot EX-L. From what I can tell the 2016 and 2017 Pilots share the exact same part number on their nav radios: 39540-TG7-A11. And, yet, the one from the 2016 model cannot do CarPlay, while the one from 2017 can. Should it not be possible, then, to image all the files from a 2017 unit onto the 2016 unit and enable CarPlay on it that way, without having to swap the whole unit?

I am not an Android hacker, but it seems like it should be possible in principle. Perhaps it could be done using the Honda Hack.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Note if u want navigation here are the model numbers
EX-L W NAVIGATION
39540 TG7 A21 RMD (REMANUFACTURED)
39542 TG7 A21 (ORIGINAL)
39541 TG7 A12 DISPLAY SCREEN AND VENTS

TOURING
39542 TG7 A41 BLACK BOX
39541 TG7 A12 SCREEN
ELITE
39542 TG7 A51 BLACK BOX
39541 TG7 A12 SCREEN

EX L W NAVIGATION
39542 TG7 A22 BLACK BOX
39541 TG7 A12 SCREEN
TOURING
39542 TG7 A 42 BLACK BOX
39541 TG7 A12 SCREEN
ELITE
39542 TG7 A52 BLACK BOX
39541 TG7 A12 SCREEN
EX L W NAVIGATION
39542 TG7 A24 BLACK BOX
39541 TG7 A12 SCREEN
TOURING
39542 TG7 A44 BLACK BOX
39541 TG7 A12 SCREEN
ELITE
39542 TG7 A54 BLACK BOX
39541 TG7 A12 SCREEN

RMD IS THROUGH DEALERSHIP OR WHEN UR CAR IS UNDER WARRANTY AND IT WAS REPLACED WITH A REMANUFACTURED ONE SO IF U SEE RMD AT THE END IT MEAN IT WAS REPLACED UNIT
THE DISPLAY SCREEN IS THE SAME FROM 2016 AND THE UNITS COMES WITH VENTS
HOPE THAT KINDA CLEAR THINGS UP
Woul they all fit any 2016 trim? I wonder if the 39540-TG7-A21 will fit exl 2016 sensing?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2016 Touring and swapped out the headunit from a 2017 Touring to get CarPlay. It takes patience, but it will work. My advice is to buy from an online junkyard where you know the donor car's VIN. Make sure that it's a 2017 donor. You then need to get the radio code from Honda (Corporate) if your seller does not have it. I don't know about your Elite question. I just don't know if the Elite added anything different in the headunit over a Touring - maybe it did - maybe it didn't?
The Elite has the RES plugs, white and blue and rear camera cross traffic enabled. I just did a swap from a donor 18 to my 16. Everything works flawlessly. Always suggest you match the exact trim across years tho.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I haven't started the upgrade on my 2016 touring unit. I am gathering info before I start so I know if it will be successful. I'm also wondering if to keep lanewatch I have to get a 2017 touring unit or will elite unit work as well.
Also the Elites have blindspot monitoring vs lane watch.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sounds like I do have a different problem. I did try the Power/Menu/Dimmer button combo on startup, with no success. In the hope someone may have an answer, here are a few more details on what I see:

• on startup the "HondaLink" logo shows, then disappears and the screen remains blank
  • the "buttons" on the screen are backlit
  • when I hold down the power button I hear 3 beeps after a few seconds
  • when I hold down power/menu/dimmer I hear 3 beeps after a few seconds (I did try power/menu/back as well with the same result)
  • video from the backup camera and side camera display normally when in reverse/turning
  • immediately on startup when I activate the side camera by switching on the turn indicator I see just the video, then the time pops up and a few seconds later I see my iphone name pop up, as if the unit has connected to my phone via bluetooth
  • I have checked the radio fuse, it is fine
  • I disconnected the new head unit and reconnected the original head unit, which works fine, which leads me to believe the new unit is unable to fully boot

Any suggestions anyone might have are appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Has anyone figured out how to fix this issue? I am in the same spot as jeremy1435 and I could use your guys knowledge to help me out. One other thing I noticed is that the power button does not light up green like on the working factory unit. It is the same white/grey color as the other side buttons. idk if that means anything but I thought I would put that out there. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi, I had a similar issue with my 2018 headunit.

It seems the unlock code has been entered wrong several times. When this happens, the screen will only turn on once/hour.

What you need to do is go to the special menu, by pressing the three buttons. You should be able to press the three buttons to go to special menu even on black screen.

Then, go to advanced menu in Android as shown in other threads, and there advance the system time by one hour.

After time advance, go back to main screen with back button and then you will hear a loud beep and the screen will turn on. At this stage, you can enter the unlock code once. If you enter it right, it will work. If you enter it wrong, you have to turn off the car, then turn it on and repeat the above steps.

481 - 500 of 545 Posts