Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

441 - 451 of 451 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I successfully completed the swap this past weekend for my 2016 EX-L w/ RES. I was lucky enough to find one from a 2018 Pilot EX-L w/ RES on car-part.com. The 2018 part number is 39540-TG7-A33, model number PH-3701. The unit was listed for $375, but the screen was scratched up so I got them to knock off $100 and I used my existing screen.

• There is a significant difference between a regular EX-L unit and the unit for EX-L w/ RES. I'm posting a picture below that compares the back of them and you can see the RES unit has two extra connections.
Are you saying that if we have The 2016 RES we need the same to have my dvd work ?

thanks

hector

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone used a unit w/ RES to replace one without? I found a 39540-TG7-A33 headunit, but I have a 2016 EX-L w/o RES. It looks like the connections are the same based on Daytripper64's post with the exception of the 2 extra connections.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just wanted to add an experience that I had today in hopes that it will help somebody else out in the same situation. My original battery finally died today and I had to replace it. In the process, the Anti-Theft system kicked in and locked me out of the head unit. I immediately went into a panic because I realized that I had thrown out the paper that the junk yard had sent me with the donor VIN number. I thought it was going to be a slim chance that I would be able to get the junk yard office to be able to track down the VIN from my order. I never had to get that far because I realized that the unlock codes were sent to my email address 10 months ago by the automated website that Honda used to generate the unlock code. Man, was I happy to find that in my email archive. I'll be saving that email with the codes in my Dropbox for when I will need it again after I inevitably change the battery again in hopefully 2025 or later...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Does anyone here have a 2016 Touring/Elite headunit that they have upgraded to 2017 and don't need/want? I have a background in electronics design and would like to tear one down to see how it ticks.

Please send me a private message; I will pay for shipping. I will take an LX/EX/EX-L unit as well but I'm less interested in those since I have an Elite and have a feeling they're a different animal. Will still take a look though :)

EDIT: If you happen to have a broken/unwanted headunit (for whatever reason) from 2017-2020 let me know as well. I've torn down the external amp (located in passenger foot well) from the 2016-2018 touring/elite and am looking to complete the story of how this infotainment system works.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Has anyone put a 2019 or 2020 unit into the 2016? Is that even possible? I have an EX-L and looking to upgrade the radio unit for Apple and Android functionality, and if I can find it, navigation as well. Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Has anyone put a 2019 or 2020 unit into the 2016? Is that even possible? I have an EX-L and looking to upgrade the radio unit for Apple and Android functionality, and if I can find it, navigation as well. Thanks
Look at my post #362 for all I found out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Folks, just joined the forum after reading all of the 446 posts and after just trading my 2006 Pilot EXL with Nav and purchasing a 2016 EXL with Sensing but w/o Nav.

Now I am looking to add the Nav option via Android Auto/Car Play and perhaps Honda Nav, if it makes economic sense.

Am I correct in that I can replace my radio with either the

2017 EXL unit part # 39542 TG& A22 (w/Nav) or A12 (w/o Nav)
2018 EXL unit part # 39542 TG7 A24 (w/Nav) or A13/14 (w/o Nav).

It seems that adding the Honda Nav unit will activate the Nav since the GPS antenna is already installed but not active in the 2016 EXL, as per one post saying that it works.

Would appreciate any thoughts if I should look to do a like upgrade with an EXL unit w/o Nav or go for the Nav built in?

Also, should I consider the EX units also from 2017 or 2018? Or stick to EXL units only even though posts indicate that they are the same!!

I do see some other part numbers floating around for the radio units but not sure if they are correct other than the ones I have mentioned above. If they are good, will appreciate knowing so.

Based on the forums feedback, I will definitely report back once I get around to locating a unit and installing it through someone else, not sure I want to take this on myself.

Thanks in advance and special thanks to all those who posted about their experience and how to's. I am sure if I had asked the Honda guys/gals, they would have given me the dead end road.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just found a place that has a 39540-TG7-A12 from a 2017 EX-L with sensing. From what I can tell, this doesn't have the navigation? If not, I'm happy to give someone the info for the salvage yard. They were asking $300.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I just found a place that has a 39540-TG7-A12 from a 2017 EX-L with sensing. From what I can tell, this doesn't have the navigation? If not, I'm happy to give someone the info for the salvage yard. They were asking $300.
If it is for sure from an EX-L with Sensing, no it doesn’t not have Nav. Prior to 2019, EX-L’s only had RES or NAV or Sensing or nothing, not multiple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sure I'll be interested. Can you pass the info? I'll PM you. Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Honda Canada just decided to replace the black box in my 2016 Pilot Touring under extended warranty. They say the 2016 part number has been superseded by part 39542-TG7-C52 which reading this forum I believe is a 2017 unit. The only difference is the models listed in this forum are “A52”. Is it possible that A stands for “American” and C stands for “Canadian”? Can someone confirm this?

441 - 451 of 451 Posts