Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

401 - 420 of 438 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks but i was wondering because hondapartsnetwork shows this:
View attachment 132547
Updating that this model ended up working great from a 2017 EXL: 39540-TG7-A12.
Just installed and the youtube video was all that was needed for steps for removal.
In my experience, the trim tools were hardly useful and the bendy extension adapter was absolutely useless. There just wasn't enough room for it to fit. I just ended up using a socket wrench with extension and a lot of patience.

Thanks everyone for the help.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've been looking for a week and can't seem to find anyone with a unit for an EX-L that has navigation. I may need to do the upgrade without the navi.
have you found one for an EX-L without Navigation? My searching this weekend didn’t yield anything.
Check ebay. I know I saw one from a 2018 EXL that's cheaper than the 2017 one i got just a few days ago!!
Lucky dog that ends up with the steal.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've been looking for a week and can't seem to find anyone with a unit for an EX-L that has navigation. I may need to do the upgrade without the navi.
I did it that way and to be honest I don't miss the Garmin maps at all. The only other thing missing is Compass in instrument cluster. Waze via CarPlay for the win.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I did it that way and to be honest I don't miss the Garmin maps at all. The only other thing missing is Compass in instrument cluster. Waze via CarPlay for the win.
You can save a lot of cash. I’ve got waze on the dash for $20 using HondaHack and a USB dongle just sitting unused in the glove compartment.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think I found one on eBay, but no navigation. Came from a 2018 EX-L. He was asking $260 and after some back and forth, for it for $220 with free shipping. I'll report back when it comes and I get it set up.

·
Registered
27 Posts
That's great. I'm having a lot of trouble finding a unit. Good luck with your install.
Did the install last night, had no issues at all. Trim pieces came off easy. Hardest thing was pulling the radio out of the dash, those clips were pretty solid. Unscrewing the two screws underneath was easy with a small 1/4" ratchet.
The 2017 radio came with the screen and vents, but one of the silver vent trim pieces had a noticeable scratch so I had to figure out how to remove and swap that (three tiny screws and use a tiny straight screwdriver to pop three very small clips loose that lie between the vent and the radio).

Got the security code from the website, set the radio up, everything was just fine. Now have ACP and AA, wife is super happy.

As far as finding a unit, I suggest just camping out on Ebay. Seems like all of the parts websites cross post to Ebay, and Ebay is a lot easier to search than all the parts websites I looked at. One will pop up.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Updating that this model ended up working great from a 2017 EXL: 39540-TG7-A12.
Just installed and the youtube video was all that was needed for steps for removal.
In my experience, the trim tools were hardly useful and the bendy extension adapter was absolutely useless. There just wasn't enough room for it to fit. I just ended up using a socket wrench with extension and a lot of patience.

Thanks everyone for the help.
Just saw this. Glad it worked out! I agree, trim tools weren't really useful at all.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You can save a lot of cash. I’ve got waze on the dash for $20 using HondaHack and a USB dongle just sitting unused in the glove compartment.
As far as I know, HondaHack does not route navigation directions to the display behind the steering wheel for Pilots, just Civic and CR-V. I think you were mixing up instrument cluster and dash.

I used the dongle for about 6 months and while it visually worked, it was not "wife-proof" in my opinion. The multiple USB device popups upon startup got old, the audio quality (microphone, not output) was spotty at times, and the USB port could barely charge the phone due to the current required to run the dongle first in the chain. I could have just been unlucky to have gotten a faulty dongle, but I was really looking for a better solution as a fix the popups seemed unlikely. We plan to keep our Pilot for a long time so having a rock solid solution was well worth the price I paid.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
As far as I know, HondaHack does not route navigation directions to the display behind the steering wheel for Pilots, just Civic and CR-V. I think you were mixing up instrument cluster and dash.

I used the dongle for about 6 months and while it visually worked, it was not "wife-proof" in my opinion. The multiple USB device popups upon startup got old, the audio quality (microphone, not output) was spotty at times, and the USB port could barely charge the phone due to the current required to run the dongle first in the chain. I could have just been unlucky to have gotten a faulty dongle, but I was really looking for a better solution as a fix the popups seemed unlikely. We plan to keep our Pilot for a long time so having a rock solid solution was well worth the price I paid.
True it is not on the dash - it's on the big screen (I was referring to that as dash) I don't use the dongle anymore - just installed the .apk on the head unit. Definitely not as good as swapping the black box - in fact it's not even close to as good with all of the bugs it has but certainly more cost effective as an alternative for anyone who is just looking for a decent navigation on the big screen. Prices has seriously dropped for the black boxes - I recall other forum members paying around $600-$700 for it. Now at under $300 or so it's way more reasonable.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yeah, I decided it was the right time after an Ohio to Florida trip. The Waze APK worked most of the time, but would sometimes just freeze out of nowhere and would have to restart the Pilot to be able to use the head unit for anything. If somehow the APK could have been forked to fix all of the issues (audio controls and stutters/freezing, constant zooming in and out, etc) I would have stayed with that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So, I have been following this thread for a while since I got my 2016 Honda Pilot EX-L. However, I have tried the tips recommended to find a 2017/2018 black box. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to find one on LKQ, everyone on there seems like the source vehicle is a 2016, what am I doing wrong? Same goes for on Ebay. Do I just have to pay the full price of $700 for just the black box on one of those HondaParts websites?
Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
True it is not on the dash - it's on the big screen (I was referring to that as dash) I don't use the dongle anymore - just installed the .apk on the head unit. Definitely not as good as swapping the black box - in fact it's not even close to as good with all of the bugs it has but certainly more cost effective as an alternative for anyone who is just looking for a decent navigation on the big screen. Prices has seriously dropped for the black boxes - I recall other forum members paying around $600-$700 for it. Now at under $300 or so it's way more reasonable.
Where have you found a black box for $300? Do you have a link by chance? Thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
So, I have been following this thread for a while since I got my 2016 Honda Pilot EX-L. However, I have tried the tips recommended to find a 2017/2018 black box. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to find one on LKQ, everyone on there seems like the source vehicle is a 2016, what am I doing wrong? Same goes for on Ebay. Do I just have to pay the full price of $700 for just the black box on one of those HondaParts websites?
Thanks
Ebay seems to be one of the best places for recycled parts. A lot of these salvage yards post them there. I paid 350 for one from 2017 exl.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I just got 2017 touring radio but when I connect it to my 2016 it just shows the honda link screen and then a blank screen. anyone else had this issue. Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Finally happened upon one after weeks of searching through the tons of 2016 radios for sale on the internet. They wanted $560 for it. Offered half and got it for $350 shipped as some of you paid for yours. Coming from a 2018 EX-L with part number 39540-TG7-A14

Looked through the whole thread and I think I’m ready for install for this thing. Also, got the VIN from the seller for the code. Can’t wait to have CarPlay in this Pilot like my Accord.

401 - 420 of 438 Posts