Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

381 - 400 of 439 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
I finally took the plunge. After months of searching for a used unit, I finally got one from Benzeen Auto Parts in Rancho Cordova, CA. I bought the 39540-TG7-A13 from a 2018 Pilot EX-L. Got the headunit 2 days after I ordered it. Last night was the perfect night for the install.

With the help of postings from this forum, I was able to remove my old HU in about 15 minutes. Unluckily or luckily, while i was removing the 2 8mm bolts, my socket fell so I had to remove the lower trim with the USB ports - 4 screws. This actually created more space for me to use an extension ratchet to remove the 2 8 mm.

The only drawback was the unit I bought had scratches on the screen so I had to swap out the screens. Just a friendly tip when replacing screens, remove the bottom plate of the radio unit and remove the ribbon wires (2) from the bottom before you detach the screen. This will make swapping the screens easier and clipping the ribbons back in place. Putting the HU and all the trims back was manageable. If not for the display swap, install would have been a lot easier.

After powering the unit on, it immediately asked for the security code. I did go to https://radio-navicode.honda.com/ and put in the VIN supplied by Benzeen as well as the serial number. Based on a tip from another user in this forum, the serial number to input is the digits without the first digit and the alpha characters. 3 possible codes were generated. After 2 tries, my HU unlocked and my $ 449 investment was all worth it.

All my previous settings were back. I just needed to add my phone to get CarPlay. I did not replace the mic. Everything went well. Postings in this forum really helped a lot.

Thank you to all the contributors.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks for this thread. I’m a 3 day old of my first Pilot. A fresh off lease 2016. I was able to locate a salvage yard with a 2017 EX and scored
The head unit for $150 plus $25 for shipping. Quite a bargain if I end up with CarPlay on my 2016!! Thanks guys!
Thats an amazing price. Did that yard have any more? If you could share their contact details, I'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi everyone!

My head is spinning with all the information in this thread. Could someone give me a quick summary?

I have a 2016 Pilot EX-L WITH Sensing. Would any 8” unit from any 2017 or 2018 pilot maintain all the features (esp. backup camera and LaneWatch) while also adding CarPlay?

If there’s a specific part number I need to be looking for, can someone help me narrow that down?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Note if u want navigation here are the model numbers
EX-L W NAVIGATION
39540 TG7 A21 RMD (REMANUFACTURED)
39542 TG7 A21 (ORIGINAL)
39541 TG7 A12 DISPLAY SCREEN AND VENTS

TOURING
39542 TG7 A41 BLACK BOX
39541 TG7 A12 SCREEN
ELITE
39542 TG7 A51 BLACK BOX
39541 TG7 A12 SCREEN

EX L W NAVIGATION
39542 TG7 A22 BLACK BOX
39541 TG7 A12 SCREEN
TOURING
39542 TG7 A 42 BLACK BOX
39541 TG7 A12 SCREEN
ELITE
39542 TG7 A52 BLACK BOX
39541 TG7 A12 SCREEN
EX L W NAVIGATION
39542 TG7 A24 BLACK BOX
39541 TG7 A12 SCREEN
TOURING
39542 TG7 A44 BLACK BOX
39541 TG7 A12 SCREEN
ELITE
39542 TG7 A54 BLACK BOX
39541 TG7 A12 SCREEN

RMD IS THROUGH DEALERSHIP OR WHEN UR CAR IS UNDER WARRANTY AND IT WAS REPLACED WITH A REMANUFACTURED ONE SO IF U SEE RMD AT THE END IT MEAN IT WAS REPLACED UNIT
THE DISPLAY SCREEN IS THE SAME FROM 2016 AND THE UNITS COMES WITH VENTS
HOPE THAT KINDA CLEAR THINGS UP

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi everyone!

My head is spinning with all the information in this thread. Could someone give me a quick summary?

I have a 2016 Pilot EX-L WITH Sensing. Would any 8” unit from any 2017 or 2018 pilot maintain all the features (esp. backup camera and LaneWatch) while also adding CarPlay?

If there’s a specific part number I need to be looking for, can someone help me narrow that down?

Thanks!
That was very kind of oa1583 to summarize the part numbers you should be looking for. Any other summary would be a disservice to you. You really need to invest in reading up on any and all information in this thread to make sure that you are prepared and fully understand how to perform this swap. The benefit vs the cost is huge considering being able to get CP/AA for a fraction of the price of getting a new(er) vehicle and/or aftermarket head unit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a 2016 Touring. I'm hoping to do same exact thing you did. However I want to use Android Auto. Have you noticed any functions that no longer work the same? You can control functions from steering wheel etc? Did you get this new? I see it is $671 from the Honda Parts store.

I just finished installing an used unit from a 2017 Pilot Touring into my 2016 Pilot Touring. The new model is 39540-TG7-A42 and I can confirm it works great. Now I need to get used to Carplay which, so far it is fun.
I now have a 2016 unit in perfect condition for sale LOL. By the way, the microphone also works great.
Thank you ALL who participated in this educational chain.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Snagged a radio from a wrecked 2017 with only 9000 miles on it today on Ebay for $500. Looking forward to swapping it into the 2016 EX-L I picked up last week. Only thing it needs to be perfect!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I just finished upgrading of my 2016 Elite with the 2017 Head unit. In my experience it is not as complex as it looks from the descriptions, but still needs concentration and care. To point 3) : I used my offset ring wrench (M8), it is very simple...
Apple Carplay works well! Thank you guys all for your support!
Next step is to replace the front mic. I keep you updated.
Hi Zoltans
I also have a 2016 pilot elite and am desperate to for AA and or AP.
Did you change just the headunit, or the "black box"? (or are these the same thing?)
how did the VIN number verification work?
Did you loose any functionally of the radio?

thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
When you swap in a 2017 or 2018 unit into a 2016, does it increase the electricity output of the USB port at all?

I'm using the carlinkplay dongle thing right now and it's obnoxious for a few reasons, but part of it is the anemic charging out of the port (you have to use the 1.5A port on the left-hand side of the under-console USB ports). Part of that would be solved simply by not having the dongle in the USB pathway sucking its own power, but if the 2017 or 2018 radios pumped 2.4A into the CarPlay USB port, that would be even better.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've been looking for a week and can't seem to find anyone with a unit for an EX-L that has navigation. I may need to do the upgrade without the navi.

381 - 400 of 439 Posts