Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hi, I've read through all 21 pages (appreciate all the work involved!) and still have a question. I have a 2016 Touring and have received a salvaged 2017 Touring black box from LKQ. It showed up with scratches on the screen despite supposedly being "condition A". A clip and metal part are misaligned on the unit itself probably from sloppy work of it being taken out. My question is: can I use the 8" screen from my 2016 that isn't scratched and adhere it to the 2017 unit? I thought I was going to find that info in the OP but never came across instructions or a longer video of the install. Maybe I missed something. Otherwise, I'll just send the unit back and wait for another to show up online if I can't do this workaround to the scratched screen. Thank you!
I think you missed something; I remember reading that was how one of the original 17 -> 16 swaps went (16 screen had to be swapped onto the 17 unit). I have the 17 unit now (without the screen) but haven't had the chance to make the swap; I'll let you know how it goes if I get to it first.

Reactions: brandon77

·
Registered
104 Posts
Install Success

So, I bought a used 39540-TG7-A42 (2017 Touring blackbox) from a member here and a new microphone (from Honda) a few months back but only just got around to installing them in my 2016 Touring today. As with the others here, I wanted to thank those of you who have gone before me to provide the detailed write-ups, instructions, and videos. BlueBass99's detailed consolidation post was very helpful in going over things before conducting the install and it all went smoothly as a result.

Although, I will admit my experience was slightly different from most in the fact that my blackbox did not get into the self-diagnostic loop even after several restarts (including updating the maps and XM signal to my account). I suspect this may be because I had the unlock codes for the unit provided to me by the seller. Have others who have done the swap had the unlock codes? I even went into the diagnostic mode and verified the "Inline Diag Setting" and it already showed complete.

If it helps, here are the codes provided to me; I'm not sure where the seller for my unit got them but they may help others (the circled one is the one that worked for my unit; I started at the top of the list and worked my way down until it worked):

Attachments

Reactions: EFICTION

·
Registered
104 Posts
Another question for those that have done the swap on their 2016. I did some driving around today using the factory Navigation and I noticed that the navigation instructions are no longer appearing in the main cluster compass display. Has any one else noticed this or had this issue? I poked around in the settings a bit and couldn't find a setting to restore this feature; did I miss what I was looking for?

·
Registered
104 Posts
You can do it either way. Usually, getting a black box without the screen is cheaper. Swapping the screen is not hard, but you have to be careful with the ribbon cables is all. From what most have said, buying a black box with the screen and vents (say from LKQ or eBay) usually end up being broken either by poor technique during removal, mishandling, or poor shipping. Most just opt to do the screen swap even though it does complicate the install a little bit.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Ok, new issue I had today.

First, the infotainment system reboot itself 3 times over the course of a 5 minute drive. Then, on the drive home, it did it 2 more times for no reason as far as I could tell. It didn't matter what was displayed, Audio, Map, Right Turn Camera, or backup camera, it reboot with one of those showing for some unknown reason.

Second, on the way home, towards the last couple of miles or so, I noticed the compass is locked in at South East for some unknown reason. There are plenty of turns and changes in direction that I could not be in the same 30degree course envelope for the whole drive. Now, I'm thinking this is the reason for the reboots on the stereo but I'm not sure.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Will a 2017 touring receiver fit in 2017 EX-L w/RES?
I do remember reading in this thread earlier where another owner installed a higher trim blackbox into a lower trim model in order to gain the navigation function; the install was successful from what I recall; however, I don't remember if the RES interface was specifically mentioned. Although, since the Touring has RES standard; adding the unit to an EX-L with RES should be plug and play from what I can tell without doing this myself. Anyhow, I think the short answer to your question is yes, it will work (I think).

·
Registered
104 Posts
Second, on the way home, towards the last couple of miles or so, I noticed the compass is locked in at South East for some unknown reason. There are plenty of turns and changes in direction that I could not be in the same 30degree course envelope for the whole drive. Now, I'm thinking this is the reason for the reboots on the stereo but I'm not sure.

Any ideas?
I’m still having this issue where my compass is locked on SE; regardless of whether or not my drive is long or short.

I did some research on resetting the compass but the procedure is only for non-Navi Pilots. The manual states that for a Pilot with Navi that the MID compass is supposed to update with GPS and that if there is an issue to take it to Honda. Hardly seems worth a trip to the dealer if I can help it; any ideas on how to calibrate the compass on a Navi Pilot?

Procedure I found:
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1230067/Honda-Pilot-2017.html?page=450#manual

·
Registered
104 Posts
So am I still the only one who's had the compass stuck at one heading since the swap?

I've asked the question 3 times now (including this post), don't necessarily think it requires its own thread but I would like to know if it is just me having this issue or if there is a common fix for this.

First time asking said question. Second time.

Any help here would be appreciated.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I usually don't comment unless I have real information to add, but since no one else is answering.... I have yet to see anyone else share this problem with you. Is it possible you have a mismatch of trim levels and that your car is not fully compatible? Assuming it's the same, I would think a reset should do the trick. What steps have you tried in order to fix this problem?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
2016 Touring with 2017 Touring headunit; so, I'm pretty sure compatibility is not the issue (at least, not as far as I can tell).

I've tried researching the issue online to try and reset it, I've tried playing around in the diagnostic and hidden settings in the unit (you know, when you hold power, menu, and brightness down for like 2 secs), and maybe a few other things with no luck. Basically, I've tried what I can think of short of taking it to the dealer (as, I have my doubts they're going to do anything about it once they realize it is not standard equipment).

·
Registered
104 Posts
Screen swap isn't bad. Just make sure to lay down a nice towel or something. I ended up scratching mine as I wasn't paying attention and as I turned the unit and what not, I didn't notice I had come off of my shop towel (basically a small rag, it was clean though) and onto a piece of paper with a staple.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I got the new black box installed but non of USB port is not recognizing the device for Android Auto I'm using Galaxy Note 9 but Apple Car Play works. Also everytime I turn the car off and turn on it goes into the diagnostic menu how do I disable that screen on startup? Do I need some sort of code?
Sorry I can't help with the Android Auto piece as I have iPhone; but I can help with the second part of your question.

In the diagnostic menu, you need to switch the Inline Diagnostic Setting to be Complete to prevent it from starting in the diagnostic system every time. Here's how you do it:

YouTube

·
Registered
104 Posts
If memory serves me correctly; there was a 2018 attempt without issue. However, I'm not 100% sure about that so some digging would be required to verify. I don't recall any 2019 attempts, yet.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I found a couple parts from a 2017 on a salvage... but what parts do you need? Can the screen on a 16 be placed on the receiver of a 17? Would that work?
Yes, you can swap the screen over from a 2016 onto the Clarion unit of a 2017. There are details in this thread to get the specific matching model you need from the 2017 (they are different with the trim levels, just like the 2016) and specifics on how to remove the unit, swap the screens, and clear the self test prompt on startup.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I cannot say for certain about the Elite to Touring swap as I did not perform that one myself and I don't remember the reading about that swap. Although, I would recommend trying to stick to the Touring version since the Elite does not have the Lane Watch system, it has the blind spot monitor. It may be an issue, I'm not sure, but it is the biggest thing I'd consider as a potential issue if you swap an Elite unit into a Touring model.

·
Registered
104 Posts
What's the difference between. Black-Box Assembly (Clarion) - Honda (39542-TG7-A14) and Display Audio (RMD) (Clarion) - Honda (39540-TG7-A14RM)

By my guess looking at things online, 39540-TG7-A14RM is the screen assembly for the black box unit 39542-TG7-A14. I don't think the RM unit includes the black box assembly assembly.

Reactions: Manguman

·
Registered
104 Posts
Anyone know if a 2017 touring radio will be perfectly fine/compatible with a 2016 radio to get apple carplay?

I've been having trouble finding a 2017 elite edition.
I think if I'm reading this correctly, you're asking if a 2017 unit will work in a 2016 Pilot to get Apple CarPlay? If that is what you're asking, then yes, it will work. I have a 2016 Touring and installed a 2017 headunit to get CarPlay. The only issue I have had with it is that the compass on the main gauge display does not work (I haven't figured out if it is an issue with the unit or if I screwed something up installing/updating it); however, I think that is just an isolated case and not a compatibility issue as no one else seems to be having the same problem from my research.

Reactions: OurPilot5

·
Registered
104 Posts
Well, more of what I'm asking is will a 2017 "touring" trim radio be compatible with a 2016 "elite" trim? What I understood was that if you have a 2016 EX-L trim, you need to have a 2017 EX-L. I didn't know if the same goes for a touring vs elite trim
It has been awhile since I looked (although, I believe the information is buried in this thread somewhere); but, I know that some have installed cross trim radios without issue. However, if memory serves me correctly, it was something to the equivalent of a 2017 Touring radio into a 2016 EX-L. I don't recall something like a 2017 Touring radio going into a 2016 Elite; I think the one issue you may run into is the blind spot monitoring difference as the Touring and below have the camera where the Elite does not; but, I'm speculating and can't actually say for any certainty if it would work without issue (I just remember reading the part numbers for the individual radios were different).

Reactions: Coorio

·
Registered
104 Posts
Thanks for the reply. What is the radio part number you ordered? I have 2017 LX with non touch screen radio and I want to order the correct radio with Car play.
I bought a 2017 Touring radio from someone on here for my 2016 Touring; part number: 39540-TG7-A42 For what it's worth, the list of 2017 radio part numbers, and various install instructions, are contained in this thread.

Part numbers post:

One of many posts outlining installation experience:

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Just got a 2017 Pilot Elite radio installed into my 2016 Elite yesterday! I went to Car Toys and they were able to install the radio for me for $110 w/ tax.

They didn't go through the whole bypassing the anti-theft system for me but that was no big deal. I entered the secret menu, found the serial number for the radio, and was able to find the radio code on the website listed on page 17 I think using the donor vehicle's VIN. I got it right on the 6th code.

That said, anyone have any recommendations for a phone holder/cord combo or even a wireless Apple Carplay adapter so that I don't need to plug my phone in every time?
Sorry, I don't have an answer to your question; but, I was curious of another related topic. I put a 2017 Touring unit in my 2016 Touring to gain Apple CarPlay; however, mine seems to have an issue where the compass (on the main gauge cluster) does not work (it is locked at whatever heading the vehicle was facing at the time of power up, currently set to East, regardless of where I drive). I'm just curious if you're having the same issue with your unit (compass calibration in the Owners Manual does nothing to resolve this).

1 - 20 of 26 Posts