Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
I read through this whole thread and wow. Great stuff! I have a question though that I'm not sure was answered. I have a 2016 EX-L with the Rear Entertainment package. I ordered a radio from a 2017 EX (it was all I could find that didn't cost $800). Does anyone know if the unit in the 2017 EX and EX-L with the RES are the same? I'm thinking it probably is and that the unit only shows the RES controls if it reads the wiring structure. Here's hoping anyway. If anyone can confirm or deny my suspicions though you'll save me a tear-out and fingers crossed test. I'd rather go back to the radio hunt now than get one in that doesn't do what it needs to (wife was over the moon about the DVD capabilities).

Any help here would be appreciated!
Did you end up finding the solution for your 2016 EX-L with RES? I have the same model and not sure if LKQ websites radio for 2017 EX-L only w/o RES will work with the 2016 EX-L with RES? If not, will the 2017 Touring work with the EX-L with RES then? Thanks!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I believe the answer to that question is buried in this thread somewhere and if memory serves me correctly, it does work. I think I remember reading that you could go up in trim levels (a Touring unit in an EX) without issue but not down trim levels (an EX unit in a Touring). However, I would recommend confirming my account of the details (it should be in this one; and if not, a different thread on the same basic topic).
Thanks for the reply! I have read most if not all of the posts on this thread and what I gather is if I have 2016 EX-L with RES, then I have to replace it with 2017 or 2018 EX-L with RES radio, since they have the same connectors. I believe ThaNatrix was also having similar issue to find this particular unit, but instead using the dongle temporarily. I found his thread here with some info: CarPlay on 2016 Pilot IDEA. Let’s Collaborate! | Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums (piloteers.org)
I believe the Touring or Elite radio uses external amp so it won't work for EX-L models, which has different speaker/amp built-in. I have checked LKQ and various other online Honda parts sites but with no avail. The part number is 39540-TG7-A33 or A34 for 2018. I'm not sure what the part number is for 2017 though.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts