Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3 days ago I purchased a 2017 Honda Pilot ex that only has 32,000 miles on it. After driving it home from the supermarket, the emissions system failure popped up on my dash. Luckily I was only down the street from my home so I made it there safely. It was late in the evening but I texted the dealership who sold it to me and they said they would call me this morning. They did and told me that I could take into the Honda dealership closest to me (they offered to even schedule the appt for me) I declined since I called to set one up before I even contacted them. They stated Honda should fix it free of charge since it’s 3 years with only 32,000 miles. After reading all the issues w the 2016 model emissions failure problems I’m wondering if I made a horrible decision in purchasing my pilot. It’s such a beautiful car and before buying I had a 2003 pilot which did me sooo good. Never any issues! I’m hoping everything works out tomorrow at the dealership and I get my car back quickly. I’m pissed because I’ve only had it for THREE days! Only 3! Pshh. Ya’ll wish my luck that it works out! I’m heart broken!

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,277 Posts
Welcome and thanks for registering at piloteers.org. We are glad you have chosen to be part of the community and we hope you enjoy your stay.

Please take a moment to look over the FAQ section. If you need assistance please use the “message” function to contact any staff member.

If you haven’t already, don’t forget to register at the Honda Owners web site. It is full of information you may find useful about your particular Honda vehicle(s).

Enjoy and all the best,

Daltongang

·
Registered
402 Posts
I feel your pain! I had the same issue with my 2016 but fortunately it was CPO from a Honda dealer. If it is the fuel injector issue (confirmed by check engine code) then many people have had luck getting Honda to cover the repair. There is a TSB out for that particular repair that states debris from the injectors or pump causes the code. On this site, many have concerns of carbon buildup (due to the Direct Injection system) or other damage from the VCM system. Again, this must be confirmed by the engine trouble code, as the "Emission System" warning can be tripped by a number of different sensors.

Highly recommend you pick up a VCM-disabler like the S-VCM or VCM Tuner II Advanced to permanently disable the VCM system. That may not fix your issue, but will help prevent long term damage to engine mounts and torque converter caused by the VCM system.

·
Registered
259 Posts
3 days ago I purchased a 2017 Honda Pilot ex that only has 32,000 miles on it. After driving it home from the supermarket, the emissions system failure popped up on my dash. Luckily I was only down the street from my home so I made it there safely. It was late in the evening but I texted the dealership who sold it to me and they said they would call me this morning. They did and told me that I could take into the Honda dealership closest to me (they offered to even schedule the appt for me) I declined since I called to set one up before I even contacted them. They stated Honda should fix it free of charge since it’s 3 years with only 32,000 miles. After reading all the issues w the 2016 model emissions failure problems I’m wondering if I made a horrible decision in purchasing my pilot. It’s such a beautiful car and before buying I had a 2003 pilot which did me sooo good. Never any issues! I’m hoping everything works out tomorrow at the dealership and I get my car back quickly. I’m pissed because I’ve only had it for THREE days! Only 3! Pshh. Ya’ll wish my luck that it works out! I’m heart broken!
I would be annoyed too, but I would give the dealership a chance to fix the problem before getting heart broken. It's likely they'll repair whatever is wrong and then you can go on with your life.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would be annoyed too, but I would give the dealership a chance to fix the problem before getting heart broken. It's likely they'll repair whatever is wrong and then you can go on with your life.
Thank you! The dealership just called me and told me it was my injectors and something about a code for my transmission..? They said my car is still under warranty they Honda so there fixing it free of charge! Yaaas! I pick it up this evening. I’m just hoping I don’t have continued issues with my
Pilot like I have read with many other posts on the website! ❤🙃

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,277 Posts
Glad that Honda is taking care of the problem that the repairs are only costing you some time. Every generation of vehicle has its's issued. My 2013 Touring gave me 7 years of flawless performance with just the recommended maintenance being done. Hopefully you will have no other major issues.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Well I may jinx myself but we have had 3 Honda Odyssey vans (Remember the pilot is essentially an odyssey minivan with doors) and now with the kids older and wanting awd we bought a 2017 pilot new. We did have to replace a sensor on the pilot and the head unit on a odyssey but otherwise all vehicles have been flawless, vcm and all. So I think your vehicle will serve you well. You can always get an extended warranty if you choose and you can search this site for very competitively priced sellers.

best of luck and congrats

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Omg yes. My 2003 Pilot never had any issues besides the normal maintenance Work. I loved it so much and that’s why I purchased a newer Honda Pilot. Thanks for
Well I may jinx myself but we have had 3 Honda Odyssey vans (Remember the pilot is essentially an odyssey minivan with doors) and now with the kids older and wanting awd we bought a 2017 pilot new. We did have to replace a sensor on the pilot and the head unit on a odyssey but otherwise all vehicles have been flawless, vcm and all. So I think your vehicle will serve you well. You can always get an extended warranty if you choose and you can search this site for very competitively priced sellers.

best of luck and congrats
Thank you! I have a two year warranty on my pilot and can choose to extend if after if needed! Since I received the car back from the dealership it has been running beautifully! Hoping things stay like this❤

1 - 8 of 8 Posts