Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
My 2017 Pilot Elite with about 6000 miles had transmission problems about 3 weeks ago on a Saturday night when I was driving around 65-70mph with the ECO on. As soon as I turned off the ECO the Pilot started to loose speed quickly, Pushing on the gas pedal didn't work, at the same time a warning came on the dash saying "Stop Driving When Safe Transmission Problem". It seemed like the transmission had slipped into neutral when I was driving. After I stopped the P indicator on the dash was flashing on and off. The transmission wouldn't come out of park. none of the other gear selector would work. I called Honda Roadside service (that is another crazy story) that had a towing company that was scheduled to show up cancel for no reason after waiting for over an hour with the police. Honda roadside could have gotten me another tow truck but that would be another 90 minute wait. The police officer was able to get me a tow truck in about 10 minutes (city contract). Not using Honda roadside service.

My Pilot has been at the dealer now for over 3 weeks trying to figure out what to do to fix the problem. They were able to get the transmission code but since they haven't been able to duplicate the problem they haven't done anything. They have been waiting for Honda Tech support to tell them what to try because my Pilot is a 2017. The area Honda Rep told the dealer to release the Pilot back to me since the problem can't be duplicated.

My wife doesn't want to drive it knowing that nothing was fixed especially with my kids. They were all in the Pilot with the problem happen. Wanted to see if anybody has had any transmission problems with their 2017 Honda Pilot Elite or Touring. Thanks
Same issue, in Canada
2016 Honda Pilot Touring
Honda says transmission is gone and it cost $12,000 to fix. Good times, warranty up at 100k, currently at 107, parked at Honda, collecting dust.
Next time Mercedes AMG, make Honda great again

·
Registered
10,326 Posts
Same issue, in Canada
2016 Honda Pilot Touring
Honda says transmission is gone and it cost $12,000 to fix. Good times, warranty up at 100k, currently at 107, parked at Honda, collecting dust.
Were you having any signs/symptoms that the transmission was failing?

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,476 Posts
Same issue, in Canada
2016 Honda Pilot Touring
Wow! That is insane. One would think Honda would offer some sort of goodwill gesture and at least partially cover it.

What are you planning to do? I love Honda but if I had to go through something like that I'd probably switch to a different brand. Definitely a bad taste left in my mouth.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Same issue, in Canada
2016 Honda Pilot Touring
Sorry to hear that. Have you considered having a private transmission shop replace the transmission for probably a third that price?

If you have service records and have serviced the transmission according to requirements, it may be worth a call to Honda corporate to see if they can do anything for you. My guess is a discounted bill will still cost more than having a private mechanic handle the repair.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes. Left the car wash one night, when the car had 96xxxkm, and the P was flashing saying to put in Park when safe. I restarted the car, amd it was fine, and once in a while after that the engine light would come on for a few hours and go away.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2017 Pilot Elite with about 6000 miles had transmission problems about 3 weeks ago on a Saturday night when I was driving around 65-70mph with the ECO on. As soon as I turned off the ECO the Pilot started to loose speed quickly, Pushing on the gas pedal didn't work, at the same time a warning came on the dash saying "Stop Driving When Safe Transmission Problem". It seemed like the transmission had slipped into neutral when I was driving. After I stopped the P indicator on the dash was flashing on and off. The transmission wouldn't come out of park. none of the other gear selector would work. I called Honda Roadside service (that is another crazy story) that had a towing company that was scheduled to show up cancel for no reason after waiting for over an hour with the police. Honda roadside could have gotten me another tow truck but that would be another 90 minute wait. The police officer was able to get me a tow truck in about 10 minutes (city contract). Not using Honda roadside service.

My Pilot has been at the dealer now for over 3 weeks trying to figure out what to do to fix the problem. They were able to get the transmission code but since they haven't been able to duplicate the problem they haven't done anything. They have been waiting for Honda Tech support to tell them what to try because my Pilot is a 2017. The area Honda Rep told the dealer to release the Pilot back to me since the problem can't be duplicated.

My wife doesn't want to drive it knowing that nothing was fixed especially with my kids. They were all in the Pilot with the problem happen. Wanted to see if anybody has had any transmission problems with their 2017 Honda Pilot Elite or Touring. Thanks

I have a 2017 Honda Pilot EX that had the transmission replaced at 17k miles.
Transmission failed/overheated on mountain headed to Lake Tahoe, lost power and had little accelearyion as gears were not shifting up hill till.
was replaced with rebuilt as New are not protocol I was told.

Started having "Transmission to hot light" turn on at 45k and dealer said it was a transmission flush needed.
Flushed and around 75k light turns on again and taken back to dealer and 2nd unit will now need to be installed.

Dealer has no timefrmae on replacement and has said may take up to 3 months and provided a Civic as a loaner.

$40K and this happens twice in 3 years .....

·
Registered
10,326 Posts
I have a 2017 Honda Pilot EX that had the transmission replaced at 17k miles.
Transmission failed/overheated on mountain headed to Lake Tahoe, lost power and had little accelearyion as gears were not shifting up hill till.
was replaced with rebuilt as New are not protocol I was told.

Started having "Transmission to hot light" turn on at 45k and dealer said it was a transmission flush needed.
Flushed and around 75k light turns on again and taken back to dealer and 2nd unit will now need to be installed.

Dealer has no timefrmae on replacement and has said may take up to 3 months and provided a Civic as a loaner.

$40K and this happens twice in 3 years .....
Hopefully you have something in writing that keeps them on the hook for as long as you own the vehicle.
I know it's only a Civic but keep asking for a larger loaner and drive drive drive. I hear it's a great time of year to see Niagara Falls.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts