Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2017 Pilot Elite with about 6000 miles had transmission problems about 3 weeks ago on a Saturday night when I was driving around 65-70mph with the ECO on. As soon as I turned off the ECO the Pilot started to loose speed quickly, Pushing on the gas pedal didn't work, at the same time a warning came on the dash saying "Stop Driving When Safe Transmission Problem". It seemed like the transmission had slipped into neutral when I was driving. After I stopped the P indicator on the dash was flashing on and off. The transmission wouldn't come out of park. none of the other gear selector would work. I called Honda Roadside service (that is another crazy story) that had a towing company that was scheduled to show up cancel for no reason after waiting for over an hour with the police. Honda roadside could have gotten me another tow truck but that would be another 90 minute wait. The police officer was able to get me a tow truck in about 10 minutes (city contract). Not using Honda roadside service.

My Pilot has been at the dealer now for over 3 weeks trying to figure out what to do to fix the problem. They were able to get the transmission code but since they haven't been able to duplicate the problem they haven't done anything. They have been waiting for Honda Tech support to tell them what to try because my Pilot is a 2017. The area Honda Rep told the dealer to release the Pilot back to me since the problem can't be duplicated.

My wife doesn't want to drive it knowing that nothing was fixed especially with my kids. They were all in the Pilot with the problem happen. Wanted to see if anybody has had any transmission problems with their 2017 Honda Pilot Elite or Touring. Thanks

·
Registered
263 Posts
So the transmission became normal after the car was towed to dealer or it returned to normal after power-cycling the car?

Sounds like turning ECO mode off while driving in certain mechanical conditions triggered some bug(?) or false condition in control system. Debugging would be extremely hard for dealers as they don't know the logic behind transmission control and I doubt Honda's software team will find anything wrong with their code. Kind of like Toyota's automatic accelerations.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Wanted to see if anybody has had any transmission problems with their 2017 Honda Pilot Elite or Touring. Thanks
Mine is a 2016 but its the exact same transmission, and no, I haven't had any problems with it at all.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,148 Posts
Three weeks is way too long to figure things out.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Mine is a 2016 but its the exact same transmission, and no, I haven't had any problems with it at all.

It may be the exact same mechanical transmission, but that says nothing about the computerized transmission controller or engine controller and their associated software. It is known that there have been multiple "updates" for early production 2016s, and it is suspected that there were running changes during production.
Also, flakey wiring connections can manifest themselves in strange and unpredictable ways. Same with any computing system.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2017 Honda Pilot

I had the same problem a week ago. Honda roadside assistance wanted me to pay for extra miles. I called my insurance roadside and they towed it to the dealer where I bought it from. Honda called me the next day and told me there was a malfunction with the transmission so they replaced the transmission. I have to go pick up my truck today. 11 different lights came on the dashboard and I took pictures of all of them and showed it to Honda.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Thought Honda would improve the reliability on the 2017 Pilots. Anyone waiting for the Honda 10-speed transmission?

·
Registered
2 Posts
tugging when down shifting

i just bought the 2017 honda pilot ex l and when i slow down to about 20-23mph and about to stop i feel a tug as the transmission is down shifting from 2nd to 1st gear. is that normal? have you noticed that in the elite model.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2017 Honda Touring Transmission Problem

I had the same thing happen last month. I was driving with eco/cruise control on the freeway and it switched into Neutral and would not switch back to drive until I stopped the car. I had to get across 3 lanes of traffic with to get to the shoulder and it shook me up pretty good. It has been at the dealer for 1 week, but they said they can't duplicate the problem and want me to come and pick it up. They are unwilling to contact the factory about the issue (who might actually be able to help diagnose it). I'm worried about driving it. I also had an issue with it backing out of a driveway.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Has anybody had their 2017 Pilot shift into 'D-4' while driving between 40 and 55 mph. Mine has done this twice. I've had to shut down the engine and restart to get the trans to reset. I had not change any settings and the speed was consistent.
Don

·
Registered
2 Posts
tugging when down shifting

i just bought the 2017 honda pilot ex l and when i slow down to about 20-23mph and about to stop i feel a tug as the transmission is down shifting from 2nd to 1st gear. is that normal? have you noticed that in the elite model.

1. tugging when down shifting

Yes i have noticed a weird tugging and lagging in very low gears, like from 1st to 2nd..I thought it was me getting used to a bigger car, but I am not liking the feel of this Honda....2017 Pilot EX...

·
Registered
2 Posts
So my boyfriend thinks nothing is wrong with my Pilot EXl, but I literally get nauseated while driving due to the gears shifting, both up and down. I absolutely hate driving it. It doesn't rev RPMs while shifting, but to me there is a movement that is jerky and NOT pleasant. I have 7 days to return the car to Carmax. Am I being to sensitive to the movement if it annoys me and makes me nauseous?

·
Registered
855 Posts
I absolutely hate driving it. It doesn't rev RPMs while shifting, but to me there is a movement that is jerky and NOT pleasant. I have 7 days to return the car to Carmax. Am I being to sensitive to the movement if it annoys me and makes me nauseous?

That is a decision only you can make. However, if you really dislike the car now you will absolutely continue to find fault with it as time goes on.. you will hate writing that check for the payment every month!

Since Carmax has the return policy, it sounds like you might want to cut your loses and move on without this vehicle.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2017 Pilot Elite with about 6000 miles had transmission problems about 3 weeks ago on a Saturday night when I was driving around 65-70mph with the ECO on. As soon as I turned off the ECO the Pilot started to loose speed quickly, Pushing on the gas pedal didn't work, at the same time a warning came on the dash saying "Stop Driving When Safe Transmission Problem". It seemed like the transmission had slipped into neutral when I was driving. After I stopped the P indicator on the dash was flashing on and off. The transmission wouldn't come out of park. none of the other gear selector would work. I called Honda Roadside service (that is another crazy story) that had a towing company that was scheduled to show up cancel for no reason after waiting for over an hour with the police. Honda roadside could have gotten me another tow truck but that would be another 90 minute wait. The police officer was able to get me a tow truck in about 10 minutes (city contract). Not using Honda roadside service.

My Pilot has been at the dealer now for over 3 weeks trying to figure out what to do to fix the problem. They were able to get the transmission code but since they haven't been able to duplicate the problem they haven't done anything. They have been waiting for Honda Tech support to tell them what to try because my Pilot is a 2017. The area Honda Rep told the dealer to release the Pilot back to me since the problem can't be duplicated.

My wife doesn't want to drive it knowing that nothing was fixed especially with my kids. They were all in the Pilot with the problem happen. Wanted to see if anybody has had any transmission problems with their 2017 Honda Pilot Elite or Touring. Thanks
I have 2019 touring awd i noticed when eco is off mine does the same thing flashes on dash to stop pull over transmission problem and throws it into neutral its done this alot dealership saids they can't duplicate it. Sometimes putting it into drive it tells me to put it back into park and want let me drive but im also lost on this issue

·
Registered
9 Posts
I can't agree with you guys more. My 2017 Honda Pilot shifts into D-4 while driving at various speeds. The dealer wanted me to post $140.00 for them to investigate the problem. I am now looking at Toyota as a replacement. Still under warranty but my wife says "get rid of it".

·
Registered
3 Posts
While trying to pass another car in my 2016 Pilot Elite there was a noticeable clunk in the car and then the RPM's dropped to zero and the warnings for transmission, emissions and blind spot came on. The screen told me to stop and put on the parking brake. I was unable to shift into any gear until I put on the parking brake and restarted the car. Once I did I only saw the emission warning. I was able to get it the dealer and they are saying it's the transmission control module that needs to be replaced. Fingers crossed because I am only 500 miles from my 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty expiring.?

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I have the 2017 ELX 4 wheel drive tow Honda Pilot. I was totally in love with it well still am but having major problems. Honda tells me nothing is wrong. Started at 50,000 miles now at 120,000. 1-3 gears super hard shifts where you and the whole care is moving. Lunges between spades 20 to 60 where again you and the whole car is moving. The gas power isn’t great at all anymore. Like so much wrong and it’s very scary. Any advice ??? It’s not transmission I’ve had it checked by 3 different shops. I’m being told it could be computer and Honda has to fix it. HELP

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2016 Elite had a bad transmission control module at 99,XXX. Once it was replaced it shifted better. Hope you figure out what's wrong.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts