Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday afternoon after picking up my kid from school we were on the way home when my 2017 Honda Pilot Elite suddenly, and unexpectedly, left me stranded on the side of the road. (My vehicle doesn’t even have 65k miles yet and I have it serviced regularly).
It gave me the error code that is was transmission and emissions failure (along with error messages regarding motion sensors) and immediately began cutting out as if it was going to stall. When this happened I was at a very dangerous intersection. Thankfully I was able to limp into a gas station parking lot. As I turned in it was doing the hurky jerks, as if it was having a problem shifting. But that’s not the scary part. Let me remind you I have my children in the car, bc what happened next really frightened me to have happen while they were in the vehicle. As I came to a stop to park the car, it would not allow me to shift it into park. It then sounded like it was going to stall again and then the throttle red lined and stuck. I think I was literally standing in the brake as it tried to shoot to the moon. Of course all I could do at this point was to quickly cut the engine. Upon trying to restart, it continued so I quickly cut the engine again and had it towed to the dealership. The tow truck driver thankfully knew of a trick to get it into neutral so he could get it on his truck- bc, of course, everything is electronic and computerized.
When the service agent at the dealership started it up he was baffled, He and their most experienced mechanic had never encountered this particular problem.
I have also had issues with the idle stop feature on this vehicle- to the point I turn it off every time I drive it. If the idle stop is engaged, when you remove your foot from the brake, the entire electrical system fails and the car cuts off. So I have had incidents of my vehicle stalling out at lights, and even once as I was making a turn. This is a very dangerous thing to have happen, and I was nearly rear ended because of it. I have taken it to the dealership for this problem, as well as the FOB issue and they could not replicate the issue issues at the time. BUT, as some of you may know, Honda just issued a recall on the FOB issue a couple of months ago and, as of last month, extended the warranty for 10yrs/ 150k miles bc of the emissions issue.
I’ve been really disappointed in the quality and reliability of this vehicle, not to mention the long lag time on Honda’s part to just acknowledge that their vehicles are having issues and submit recalls. Meanwhile, putting their customers in harms way.
Furthermore, I was further disappointed in the lack of concern and overall helpfulness on the part of my local dealership. They know this is a recall issue, yet I had to be a little pushy about getting a loaner...sorry a rental at $98/day. There were no loaners available at 5pm on a Tuesday afternoon. And when I asked if they were going to waive the rental fees if this was part of the recall issue, it was stated to me that they would “try to help us out on that” but they couldn’t waive it. Something I’ll be following up on as this is still active and ongoing. So much so that I doubt they have yet to put it into a bay to run a diagnostic on it yet. I was a work in appt. for today.

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
It be nice to know what engine codes are stored. Just speculation, but the cutting out and stalling, possibly in limp mode could indicate an oil pressure switch failed. Add that possible problem with the other tech issues an elite can have would make for a bad experience. Please let us know the diagnosis. Hope things get worked out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was told that they “received all of the codes”. In order to move the vehicle into a bay, they reset the computer. After doing so they could not replicate the problem. I was told that maybe there was debris in my throttle body. They reprogrammed the computer and turned me loose.

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
I was told that they “received all of the codes”. In order to move the vehicle into a bay, they reset the computer. After doing so they could not replicate the problem. I was told that maybe there was debris in my throttle body. They reprogrammed the computer and turned me loose.
Lol on the throttle body debris. Tell them it's got an air filter on it, is it trash coming from the other direction? smirk
Hopefully someone else here will comment, but I would not use the idle stop start feature.

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
53 Posts
OMG,, that would drive me to drink if it happened to me.
Trouble is, I already drink. Not sure if more would settle my nerves or not.

Throttle is all by wire and for the engine to rev like that is some failure of sensor or related input the computer got.
They isolated nothing. Did they list the codes in your work order??
You should have a record of them and see if they reappear even without the exact symptoms occuring.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I turn off the idle stop feature every time I drive bc I’ve had issues with the entire electrical system cutting out and I’ve had to restart the vehicle a few times bc of if. Which isn’t cool to have happen at a light. It’s a great way to get yourself rear ended.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I turn off the idle stop feature every time I drive bc I’ve had issues with the entire electrical system cutting out and I’ve had to restart the vehicle a few times bc of if. Which isn’t cool to have happen at a light. It’s a great way to get yourself rear ended.
Is that the type where at every stop in traffic the engine shuts off?
I have discused that with friends thinking of a new vehicle. It would be maddening for me especially in Winter. No Engine running, No Heat and you can be sitting for a while. What do you do in your hot states with 90+ temps and AC also goes off.

Is there a permanent setting for OFF, or do you have to do it each time you start the vehicle?

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
This feature has stranded several. If you should release brake and suddenly apply it again, it can cause a glitch. The computer thinks the vehicle is running, but it's not. So with the electronic shifting, pressing the brake, hitting the start button, these make for a puzzle to figure out, while in the middle of the road. Scary dangerous. You might be interested in this link.
Monitoring your charging system and battery is a high priority on an elite. It is very important that the battery terminals are secured tight to each post. A loose terminal can cause a glitch. Elites requires an AGM battery. If this is ever purchased aftermarket, get the highest cranking amps you can find. It also would be important to check fitment closely. There is a box the battery sits in with a lid. If the battery is a little short, it can be difficult to secure the terminals to the battery properly. If you check your terminals and they're loose, with the tightening nut turned all the way, with no way to push it down over the terminal any further, a set if battery post shims can solve this.

Reactions: whoa

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,328 Posts
If the electrical system (Battery and alternator) check out good, your weird combination of symptoms going from limp home to wide open throttle is enough to mystify the best mechanic. The best mechanics don't like to quit neither do they want to start throwing parts at a car in the vain hope that it solves the problem.

Did they reset the car back to factory spec with all the latest and greatest updates? Please ask them to report your issues to Honda for their assistance, just in case the mother ship has ever had anyone else report a similar sequence of events with their early third gen nine speed cars.

I'm going to go all out on this one.....I know of one instance with another brand of car that started to act weird shortly before a family went on vacation. None of the codes really clearly pointed to the problem that was causing the car to limp along until it was shut off. He never had a WOT event. Once loaded (six people, two dogs roof rack filled plus bike rack, and 500 miles from home, the problems got worse. It had several intermittent failures before their destination leaving him limping along at 30mph on a highway until he turned the car off. Of course it behaved perfectly on the way to the dealership. They dug into it and determined that the accelerator assembly's throttle sensors were failing. Once replaced the car functioned perfectly and that was a year ago.

In your scenario, I wouldn't blame you one bit if you replaced the car. I have a low tolerance for breakdowns and failures myself. Intermittent faults are the worst type because they don't stick around long enough. Whatever you do, please don't get mad at the dealership. Do your best despite your frustration to maintain a good relationship with the people who are trying to helping you. Sometimes cars are like kids, they can't always tell you directly what's wrong with them.

Please keep us updated with your progress.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is that the type where at every stop in traffic the engine shuts off?
I have discused that with friends thinking of a new vehicle. It would be maddening for me especially in Winter. No Engine running, No Heat and you can be sitting for a while. What do you do in your hot states with 90+ temps and AC also goes off.

Is there a permanent setting for OFF, or do you have to do it each time you start the vehicle?
The feature is often referred to as the idle stop. So when you come to a stop the engine shuts off. As you remove your foot from the brake it turns back on. All of the electrical and the ac/heat does not shut off- unless you have the electrical/computer issues my Pilot seems to be experiencing. In fact, the vehicle will also restart if it needs to in order to accommodate everything that may be on in the cockpit. This feature can be turned off in the Pilot, as well as all of the other models I have recently test driven (Mercedes, Lincoln, Toyota, Kia, Subaru).

·
Registered
53 Posts
I see, well it would have to be off for my wife and myself. You pull into your driveway and stop, it goes off and then what you got to now figure out whether it need to be double offed to be off. Or you forget and get out like that and again then what.
That type of system is truely hard on the battery as well as the alternator as well as starter. Their lives will not be long. I doubt the engine is happy with it either. I had already read of someone having to do a hack to force it off for 2017 at least and maybe 2018 years.

This is a huge learning curve for me as I am trying decide if I want to buy one as per my first post and posted here and in other comments while hunting. It took days to figure out myself both 6 & 9 speed transmissions are available as well. Depends on trim/build level on what you get. Tow package is a must have but rare to see that in any, yet !!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If the electrical system (Battery and alternator) check out good, your weird combination of symptoms going from limp home to wide open throttle is enough to mystify the best mechanic. The best mechanics don't like to quit neither do they want to start throwing parts at a car in the vain hope that it solves the problem.

Did they reset the car back to factory spec with all the latest and greatest updates? Please ask them to report your issues to Honda for their assistance, just in case the mother ship has ever had anyone else report a similar sequence of events with their early third gen nine speed cars.

I'm going to go all out on this one.....I know of one instance with another brand of car that started to act weird shortly before a family went on vacation. None of the codes really clearly pointed to the problem that was causing the car to limp along until it was shut off. He never had a WOT event. Once loaded (six people, two dogs roof rack filled plus bike rack, and 500 miles from home, the problems got worse. It had several intermittent failures before their destination leaving him limping along at 30mph on a highway until he turned the car off. Of course it behaved perfectly on the way to the dealership. They dug into it and determined that the accelerator assembly's throttle sensors were failing. Once replaced the car functioned perfectly and that was a year ago.

In your scenario, I wouldn't blame you one bit if you replaced the car. I have a low tolerance for breakdowns and failures myself. Intermittent faults are the worst type because they don't stick around long enough. Whatever you do, please don't get mad at the dealership. Do your best despite your frustration to maintain a good relationship with the people who are trying to helping you. Sometimes cars are like kids, they can't always tell you directly what's wrong with them.

Please keep us updated with your progress.
They did reset and reprogram the engine and transmission. Someone else asked if they listed the codes, they did not. But they stated multiple times that bc all codes were given they weren’t able to pinpoint any one thing. And I get that.
I was also told by the service dept. at this dealership that they did contact an engineer at Honda. The most experienced mechanic at the dealership had never encountered the issue, and neither had the engineers at Honda.
We are looking around to replace our Pilot. Which is really a bummer bc I really enjoy it- you know, aside from its issues. But I’ve had issues with the gasket at the roof seams coming off, FOB issues, electrical/idle stop issues, and now this. And this last thing is a pretty big safety issue for me. I don’t want to drive my kids around in something that could potentially put us in harms way. That’s the opposite reason as to why I chose this vehicle in the first place.
As for the particular dealership I deal with, they haven’t exactly given me the warm fuzzies for the past 4yrs. All of the issues I listed above were issues they were aware their Pilots were having, yet I’ve repeatedly received subpar service and often leave with the issues unresolved. The roof gaskets, for instance, they applied with what appeared to be 3M dbl sided tape in order to fix that issue. Not only were they cockeyed bc of it, I could just rip them right off without any effort. It took multiple calls and finally speaking to the service manager just to have it properly repaired. I’m perfectly courteous but I will be firm about things if necessary. Dealerships and their service departments treat women differently. All my life, every dealership/service dept I’ve ever dealt with, that has been the case. When I take my husband with me, even if I do all the talking, I have a completely different experience than if I were alone.

·
Registered
53 Posts
TURN OFF the Auto start mode. Someone posted it can be disabled, turned off. I wouldn't trust it. That in itself may resolve the biggest issue as it performs as any other SUV then, always running until YOU TURN IT OFF. You're the brains and the ECU of what it does and its not going to out smart you. I am certain you can be the boss of it that way!!
Cheers

·
Registered
53 Posts
should maybe report it to the safety regulator in the USA. More cases the more attention as they occur.
Dealer reps typically say to any well know problem on forums. They never heard of it before. LOL
Its their standard cop out, excuse to justify it. Thats the thing about auto issues, the 2nd biggest purchase (if new) to a house and when things aren't right. You're not treated right. I tend to buy used myself. Few new vehicles had a ton of problems. I can assess feedback and info on a used one with lots of life left.

Good luck there.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts