Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Did anyone have a similar issue they were able to fix? We have an issue with our 2017 Honda Pilot AWD having a shimmy only when towing. It occurs from 60 to 80 MPH (that is the fastest speed I tried) but that is as fast as I have tried. It does not appear to be speed dependent as it occurs every 1 to 1.5 seconds as a slight shudder through the vehicle and does not change in period from 60 to 80. If it were speed dependent, going 33% faster should increase the frequency. I towed my trailer that is about 3000 pounds and also tried a friends trailer of similar weight to rule out a trailer/tire issue. Since it occurs with both trailers and the Pilot is the common denominator, that seems to be the issue.
I read this thread, but it does appear to be the Pilot, not trailer. Major vibration in Dash and steerign wheel while towing

• Road surfaces do have an impact too. Some, though very, few highways cause no vibration.
  • The trailer fully loaded weighs about 3000 lbs, so under the towing capacity
  • Can feel vibration in steering wheel and seat.
  • Uphill and flats worse than downhill.
  • Pilot tires balanced and alignment done a few weeks ago. Still occurs
  • Drive shaft has an odd shiny metal area like it is rubbing, but that would seem to throw the shaft off the vehicle if it was that out of balance.

2017 Honda Pilot with tires balanced and alignment done.
Travel Trailer - approx 3000 pounds.
Goodyear Marathon tires
Jingu steel rims

·
Registered
121 Posts
Is your Pilot AWD or FWD? I tow a 4000-4200lb 19ft single axle travel trailer (loaded) and do not have any vibrations at all. Considering all things, how many miles do you have on you Pilot?

Sounds like it could be a couple things. Maybe bushings in the suspension, motor mounts, early signs of an axle starting to go out or possibly a wheel bearing that is wearing are things that come to mind. I would get the Pilot in the air and check for play at each axle with the tires still on so check the bearings. Check for cracked bushings and such. Unfortunately the axle's kinda need to be removed for inspection but if you grip the axle, you should not be able to wiggle it. I had a bad axle and that was something I noticed before it was replaced. The shiny part might be from your sway bar links rubbing it, I have that but my Pilot is lifted too. Depends on how deep you want to dive in before handing it off to the dealer/repair shop....

Good luck on isolating the issue.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is your Pilot AWD or FWD? I tow a 4000-4200lb 19ft single axle travel trailer (loaded) and do not have any vibrations at all. Considering all things, how many miles do you have on you Pilot?
I updated the post, it is AWD. I will check those things out. I know it will be a PITA to figure out but the bearings and shaft I can check. Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Have you disabled VCM? I know a lot of weird vibrations have been reported and disabling VCM helped with them. Also, how old is your trans fluid?

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
3,983 Posts
Did anyone have a similar issue they were able to fix? We have an issue with our 2017 Honda Pilot AWD having a shimmy only when towing. It occurs from 60 to 80 MPH (that is the fastest speed I tried) but that is as fast as I have tried. It does not appear to be speed dependent as it occurs every 1 to 1.5 seconds as a slight shudder through the vehicle and does not change in period from 60 to 80. If it were speed dependent, going 33% faster should increase the frequency. I towed my trailer that is about 3000 pounds and also tried a friends trailer of similar weight to rule out a trailer/tire issue. Since it occurs with both trailers and the Pilot is the common denominator, that seems to be the issue.
I read this thread, but it does appear to be the Pilot, not trailer. Major vibration in Dash and steerign wheel while towing

• Road surfaces do have an impact too. Some, though very, few highways cause no vibration.
  • The trailer fully loaded weighs about 3000 lbs, so under the towing capacity
  • Can feel vibration in steering wheel and seat.
  • Uphill and flats worse than downhill.
  • Pilot tires balanced and alignment done a few weeks ago. Still occurs
  • Drive shaft has an odd shiny metal area like it is rubbing, but that would seem to throw the shaft off the vehicle if it was that out of balance.

2017 Honda Pilot with tires balanced and alignment done.
Travel Trailer - approx 3000 pounds.
Goodyear Marathon tires
Jingu steel rims
Simple Fix.... SLOW DOWN.

Trailers are not designed to be towed at high speed. In fact most trailers have a recommended top towing speed of 55 mph.

You symptoms are classic symptoms of too much speed and or improperly balanced loads. Also how are you checking tongue weight, trailer weight and GVW? Have you checked your weights on a CAT scale? Is you load balanced in the trailer?

A weight distribution hitch is on possible solution. I am not a fan of weigh distribution hitches as they just shift the problem to somewhere else. Usually to the trailer axel or axels which end up wearing out quicker.

Good resource: RV Speed Limits For All 50 States | Outdoorsy.com

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Simple Fix.... SLOW DOWN.
There is an underlying issue that may need to be addressed no matter what speed I am traveling. If it is still present when not towing or going less than 60 with a trailer and I just don't feel it because it is only very slight, that doesn't make me feel any better if a mechanical failure somewhere down the road when I could have fixed it early on.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
A weight distribution hitch is on possible solution. I am not a fan of weigh distribution hitches as they just shift the problem to somewhere else. Usually to the trailer axel or axels which end up wearing out quicker.

Good resource: RV Speed Limits For All 50 States | Outdoorsy.com
It's easy to not like WDH when you have an HD that is never near the limits of towing. I wouldn't tow a 6,000 lb trailer behind When set up properly they provide real safety and loading benefits to the tow vehicle and the driver.

Reactions: awd.nv

·
Registered
121 Posts
There is an underlying issue that may need to be addressed no matter what speed I am traveling. If it is still present when not towing or going less than 60 with a trailer and I just don't feel it because it is only very slight, that doesn't make me feel any better if a mechanical failure somewhere down the road when I could have fixed it early on.
I agree there is an underlying issue. Just this weekend I was towing our 19' travel trailer at 75mph to pass a slow vehicle....yes 75mph speed limit and 75mph rated tires. I usually cruise at 65mph unless the headwinds are bad or crosswinds so I reduce to 55mph. I still get about 10-11mpg when there are no winds at 65mph.

While I have the S-VCM module installed, it is a new addition and I had no issues prior to installing so the cylinder deactivation is not the issue. I have seen the VCM function kick on when towing though. Usually seems to be when the engine load is about 30-35% or less even if towing.

It's easy to not like WDH when you have an HD that is never near the limits of towing. I wouldn't tow a 6,000 lb trailer behind When set up properly they provide real safety and loading benefits to the tow vehicle and the driver.
Totally, at the very least, I would not tow a single axle trailer without a WDH.

We had to rent an F250 when the shop did not finish our Pilot in time to tow our tiny Nobo 10.6 toy hauler style travel trailer. Sure it towed like a beast EXCEPT ONE HORRIBLE freeway, I was at 65mph and the trailer started bouncing around and swaying pretty bad. All the heavy items were over the axles, well balanced load. Same portion is super stable with the Pilot and WDH but since I did not have it on, I had to slow down slowly as I did not want to be on a YouTube video. Thank goodness I had my eye on the trailer knowing that road, otherwise the F-250 gave me no indication what was going on since it was such a light trailer.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
We had to rent an F250 when the shop did not finish our Pilot in time to tow our tiny Nobo 10.6 toy hauler style travel trailer. Sure it towed like a beast EXCEPT ONE HORRIBLE freeway, I was at 65mph and the trailer started bouncing around and swaying pretty bad. All the heavy items were over the axles, well balanced load. Same portion is super stable with the Pilot and WDH but since I did not have it on, I had to slow down slowly as I did not want to be on a YouTube video. Thank goodness I had my eye on the trailer knowing that road, otherwise the F-250 gave me no indication what was going on since it was such a light trailer.
It is almost eerie how nonchalant some tow vehicles can be. Call me crazy, but I like a little feedback to keep me sharp. My dad's '11 Yukon XL Denali has air suspension, automatically adjusting shocks and a 400hp/tq V8. Towing the 5,000lb travel trailer or a car trailer is completely unnoticeable. We blew a tire (dual axle trailer) and the only reason I noticed was because I was constantly looking out my mirror as the passenger checking on the trailer and saw a chunk of tire.

Reactions: awd.nv

·
Registered
121 Posts
It is almost eerie how nonchalant some tow vehicles can be. Call me crazy, but I like a little feedback to keep me sharp. My dad's '11 Yukon XL Denali has air suspension, automatically adjusting shocks and a 400hp/tq V8. Towing the 5,000lb travel trailer or a car trailer is completely unnoticeable. We blew a tire (dual axle trailer) and the only reason I noticed was because I was constantly looking out my mirror as the passenger checking on the trailer and saw a chunk of tire.
For sure, I totally agree. It was such a beast of a tow vehicle but the lack of feedback kept me checking the mirrors way more often. I can't wait to try towing our trailer with the 2021 Ford Ranger. Same 10speed as the F150 and the 310tq will be nice. If I think I want more power the Ford Performance 91 octane tune doesn't void warranty, is towing approved and adds another 60tq at 2500rpm. Basically makes it a 320hp/355tq setup.

Considering Vegas summers, I want to avoid it but so nice to have it as an option. I run 91 octane anyways in all our vehicles.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
For sure, I totally agree. It was such a beast of a tow vehicle but the lack of feedback kept me checking the mirrors way more often. I can't wait to try towing our trailer with the 2021 Ford Ranger. Same 10speed as the F150 and the 310tq will be nice. If I think I want more power the Ford Performance 91 octane tune doesn't void warranty, is towing approved and adds another 60tq at 2500rpm. Basically makes it a 320hp/355tq setup.

Considering Vegas summers, I want to avoid it but so nice to have it as an option. I run 91 octane anyways in all our vehicles.
Yea you do need to watch the heat and turbo 4's love to produce heat.

My dad's Sierra has the 10 speed. I always figured the temps would be high due to all of the shifts but I rarely see it get to 180-185. We have not towed with it yet though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts