Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if I just have bad luck or if the aero dynamics attract more rocks to hit my windshield? 3rd gen 2017 pilot touring. This car has 95K miles and the windshield just cracked for the 5TH TIME! My previous 2nd gen pilot went 170K miles and I kept the original windshield crack free. I have a buddy with two 3rd gen pilots and they both have 2 chips ea.. Are the 3rd gens more susceptible to rocks? Should I try a bug deflector ?

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Wondering if I just have bad luck or if the aero dynamics attract more rocks to hit my windshield? 3rd gen 2017 pilot touring. This car has 95K miles and the windshield just cracked for the 5TH TIME! My previous 2nd gen pilot went 170K miles and I kept the original windshield crack free. I have a buddy with two 3rd gen pilots and they both have 2 chips ea.. Are the 3rd gens more susceptible to rocks? Should I try a bug deflector ?
I don't believe the replacement windshields are as resilient as factory. A small pebble can make a chip. I"m sure doing 75 mph is probably a factor.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Mine was just replaced 2 months ago. Got another crack and needs reached again. Stupid construction everywhere. Made another appointment to get the tint strip and have to re ceramic coat the window again

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,845 Posts
There are a few things that you can do to reduce the need to replace the windshield. First thing to do is if you hear something strike the windshield locate the place it hit as soon as possible. If there is any damage what so ever immediately have it repaired. Do not wash the vehicle as this can force dirt into the chip making it easier to further crack. To keep dirt out you can even cover the chipped area with a small piece of clear packing tape. But only use clear packing tape, no other kind. The important thing is to get he chip fixed as soon as possible before dirt or moisture can get into the chip.

The second way to minimize chipping to a windshield is less popular. Chips can be avoided by maintaining a safe distance from dump trucks or other similar vehicles which haul dirt and debris. Observing a proper space cushion behind other cars can also help drivers to avoid rocks and objects which are flung into the air by tires.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have no idea how much is the aero of the Pilot vs bad luck but I have never had a windshield get a crack and our '16 had one windshield replaced and the aftermarket one got a chip too that thankfully never spread, going on 2yrs I think with it that way.

·
Registered
2021 EX-L
24 Posts
We only have 7k miles on a Pilot but I did notice something I haven't experienced with other cars. The amount of bugs that accumulate on the front of this vehicle is insane. My wife's last car was also a pearlescent white like the Pilot, but we never noticed a bug issue. But the Pilot - it looks like we're on the hunt for every flying insect in Tennessee. All over the windshield and front bumper. Not sure if it's the increased frontal area or something about the aero on this car but I can't help but laugh every time I see it. I started giving my wife a hard time about destroying the ecosystem by taking out all the insects LOL

·
Registered
48 Posts
Ive put about 15 K miles on mine with no chips or cracks. I will go out of my way to avoid getting behind dump trucks, open trailers, and any vehicle that may cause crap to fly up behind it. I have the Sensing package and I dont need to have to deal with calibration of the camera due to some idiot dropping crap from there vehicle. In that case. I also DO NOT let anyone else drive mine either.

·
Registered
128 Posts
We only have 7k miles on a Pilot but I did notice something I haven't experienced with other cars. The amount of bugs that accumulate on the front of this vehicle is insane. My wife's last car was also a pearlescent white like the Pilot, but we never noticed a bug issue. But the Pilot - it looks like we're on the hunt for every flying insect in Tennessee. All over the windshield and front bumper. Not sure if it's the increased frontal area or something about the aero on this car but I can't help but laugh every time I see it. I started giving my wife a hard time about destroying the ecosystem by taking out all the insects LOL
Sounds like you have the Starship Troopers Edition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts