Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
21 - 40 of 79 Posts
The emission system light alone doesn't mean your getting free injectors. The veh. MUST have approved conditions AND the extension listed on the vin stat. If either one of those conditions are not met, then it's not covered.
This is a good reason why you should get yourself a code reader to check specific error codes before visiting a dealership. Just scan for them but don't reset them prior to your visit.

I'm still dodging the bullet on this one with the VCM deactivated.
They won't fix mine for free. 😬
Hopefully you won't have this issue but you can DIY for less than $500 in parts and it doesn't seem like a difficult job. I was certainly going that way if Honda Canada didn't cover it.

Hopefully you won't have this issue but you can DIY for less than $500 in parts and it doesn't seem like a difficult job. I was certainly going that way if Honda Canada didn't cover it.
Your not going to believe this 🤦‍♂️, we just discussed this a few hours ago. The Mrs just called me and said the emission light came on searching for a parking spot at the grocery store. She said she smelled fuel when she turned the vehicle off. I am not the least bit superstitious. But it looks like I'm going to be doing a DIY injector job on a 2017 EX-L.

Reactions: kamandor
Ok, my wife said she floored it today to pass on a narrow stretch of road today. Might a had something to do with it. 🤦‍♂️

Glad everything worked out for you. The Service bulletin does cover the 16-19 Pilot and the warranty is extended for 10yrs or 200K kms
Just curious where you saw the 10yr, 200k kms extended warranty for Canada for this problem? I just had my 2017 Pilot fuel injectors replaced for free due to this issue a few weeks ago and it was totally covered, but I feel like the service manager said the extension was for something like 6-7 years (maybe I misheard - was just happy my bill was $0).

Just curious where you saw the 10yr, 200k kms extended warranty for Canada for this problem? I just had my 2017 Pilot fuel injectors replaced for free due to this issue a few weeks ago and it was totally covered, but I feel like the service manager said the extension was for something like 6-7 years (maybe I misheard - was just happy my bill was $0).
One of our Piloteers is a Honda Tech at a dealership in the GTA and he mentioned the 10yr 200k warranty for the injectors. Can't remember who, but he posted it on one of the emissions/injectors threads a few months back.

That really sucks but it seems early for injectors to fail. Have you had a chance to check codes yet? Might just be a fluke, I would just clear it and see if it comes back.
I have my doubts it's a fluke. She said she smelled fuel when she turned the engine off?

Just plugged in the scanner. It has the P219A code.
P219A - BANK 1 AIR/FUEL RATIO IMBALANCE
Repair Importance Level: 3/3
Repair Difficulty Level: 3/3

POSSIBLE CAUSES
  • Leaking or contaminated fuel injectors
  • Low fuel pressure or running out of fuel
  • Leaking evaporative emission (EVAP) canister purge valve
  • Exhaust or intake air system leaks
  • Exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) system
  • Positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) system is leaking or the valve is stuck open
  • Ignition system
  • Incorrectly seated engine oil dipstick, tube or oil fill cap
If the Bank 1 fuel trim numbers weren't whack, I'd look at these other possibilities. I believe that search would be a waste of time.

So I guess my question would be...
Do I replace just the injectors...

or the kits with the fuel rails too?

Just plugged in the scanner. It has the P219A code.
P219A - BANK 1 AIR/FUEL RATIO IMBALANCE
Repair Importance Level: 3/3
Repair Difficulty Level: 3/3

POSSIBLE CAUSES
  • Leaking or contaminated fuel injectors
  • Low fuel pressure or running out of fuel
  • Leaking evaporative emission (EVAP) canister purge valve
  • Exhaust or intake air system leaks
  • Exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) system
  • Positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) system is leaking or the valve is stuck open
  • Ignition system
  • Incorrectly seated engine oil dipstick, tube or oil fill cap
If the Bank 1 fuel trim numbers weren't whack, I'd look at these other possibilities. I believe that search would be a waste of time.
View attachment 146691
The negative rich fuel trims and out of balance air/fuel ratio on bank1 do point to carboned injector nozzles or faulty injectors. That would also explain the smell of fuel. It sure is a bummer though.

So I guess my question would be...
Do I replace just the injectors...
View attachment 146695
or the kits with the fuel rails too?
View attachment 146697
There is a post somewhere of a guy who reused the fuel joint pipe. I think if you are careful removing it you will be able to reuse it and save quite a bit of money. That's crazy $900 for a pair of fuel pipes. You do reuse the fuel rails so as long as they are connected back up the same way they shouldn't leak. You may also need 6 intake gaskets for the manifold . I think that $900 is the price for 2 fuel rails which you don't need. What you may need is the fuel joint pipe , #3 in that parts diagram but like I said you may be able to reuse that too. The injectors come as a complete set with all seals and clips to fasten them up to the fuel rails. Hope this helps.

One of our Piloteers is a Honda Tech at a dealership in the GTA and he mentioned the 10yr 200k warranty for the injectors. Can't remember who, but he posted it on one of the emissions/injectors threads a few months back.
interesting, thanks. I’m not too worried because it was taken care of for free on my Pilot. Hopefully once they fix it once with new injectors plus software update, it won’t happen again.

There is a post somewhere of a guy who reused the fuel joint pipe. I think if you are careful removing it you will be able to reuse it and save quite a bit of money. That's crazy $900 for a pair of fuel pipes. You do reuse the fuel rails so as long as they are connected back up the same way they shouldn't leak. You may also need 6 intake gaskets for the manifold
Kit #2 and #4 is $660 more 🤦‍♂️. So ya, gonna go with just kit #1, unless someone tells me why I shouldn't.
Will replace intake gaskets.
I don't see that there is a gasket that I could replace in the fuel line conection to the fuel rail?

Kit #2 and #4 is $660 more 🤦‍♂️. So ya, gonna go with just kit #1, unless someone tells me why I shouldn't.
Will replace intake gaskets.
I don't see that there is a gasket that I could replace in the fuel line conection to the fuel rail?
That's exactly what I was going to do. The fuel line connection to the fuel rails shouldn't be an issue as long it isn't damaged when you disconnect it and it is connected back up the same way. If it leaks afterwards then you will probably have to replace the fuel joint pipe as well. It looks like the seals are part of the fittings on the fuel joint pipe and can't be replaced.

Here's what I ordered. Any thoughts on this is appreciated.

Going to follow this video....

Part 2

21 - 40 of 79 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.