Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen this story many times in this forum, I will share my version.
I bought a 2017 Pilot through a dealer at auction. I previously had a Honda Odyssey and put on 150K miles with no major repairs needed, so I declined getting an extended warranty. 45 days later at 50K miles an engine emissions light came on. Error codes pointed to the fuel injectors needing to be replaced. Projected cost of $1,600. I worked with a Honda dealer who told me to call Honda America and try to get reimbursement. I had my case escalated twice. I talked about Honda Good Will. The woman I was working with determined that my VIN did not qualify for warranty work. I live in WI which covers emissions 3/36,000, no go there. Referencing TSB 18-025 I stated all 2016 models were covered to have the fuel injectors and rails replaced. Some 2017 VINs were included but not mine. That's ridiculous. Honda identified faulty or dirty injectors but would not help me. 3 factors were needed to help me with the cost. 1. Buy the car from a certified Honda dealer. 2. Have a warranty 3. Have proof of loyalty to Honda. via service records. I had the car for 45 days, never had service done. She even found my Odyssey record of ownership. Yet I never had that maintained by a dealer or certified Honda tech. She told me this is my problem and that I should have bought a warranty, or bought it from a Honda dealer or had my previous vehicle serviced better. They know the fuel injectors that were installed are faulty. She said I should get the work done by HONDA and wait to see if the rest of the 2017 VINs will be added to an extended warranty. I write this to forewarn others. Get the warranty, check if it even covers this. I'm really put off by this experience with Honda America and after this I think I'm done with Honda. This she said was my choice. I even considered buying a warranty and waiting 90 days to report this issue, as the light was off. In the end the service manager found me a way to get the price down to $980. I had offers from friends to do it but I had it done there in hopes of future reimbursement. I've seen over 10 similar VINs on the NHTSA website with identical issues.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
868 Posts
Honda has just issued a new SB covering injectors on 17 and later model years so you should go back to the dealership for reimbursement

Attachments

·
Registered
Traded Pilot for Highlander
265 Posts
I've seen this story many times in this forum, I will share my version.
I bought a 2017 Pilot through a dealer at auction. I previously had a Honda Odyssey and put on 150K miles with no major repairs needed, so I declined getting an extended warranty. 45 days later at 50K miles an engine emissions light came on. Error codes pointed to the fuel injectors needing to be replaced. Projected cost of $1,600. I worked with a Honda dealer who told me to call Honda America and try to get reimbursement. I had my case escalated twice. I talked about Honda Good Will. The woman I was working with determined that my VIN did not qualify for warranty work. I live in WI which covers emissions 3/36,000, no go there. Referencing TSB 18-025 I stated all 2016 models were covered to have the fuel injectors and rails replaced. Some 2017 VINs were included but not mine. That's ridiculous. Honda identified faulty or dirty injectors but would not help me. 3 factors were needed to help me with the cost. 1. Buy the car from a certified Honda dealer. 2. Have a warranty 3. Have proof of loyalty to Honda. via service records. I had the car for 45 days, never had service done. She even found my Odyssey record of ownership. Yet I never had that maintained by a dealer or certified Honda tech. She told me this is my problem and that I should have bought a warranty, or bought it from a Honda dealer or had my previous vehicle serviced better. They know the fuel injectors that were installed are faulty. She said I should get the work done by HONDA and wait to see if the rest of the 2017 VINs will be added to an extended warranty. I write this to forewarn others. Get the warranty, check if it even covers this. I'm really put off by this experience with Honda America and after this I think I'm done with Honda. This she said was my choice. I even considered buying a warranty and waiting 90 days to report this issue, as the light was off. In the end the service manager found me a way to get the price down to $980. I had offers from friends to do it but I had it done there in hopes of future reimbursement. I've seen over 10 similar VINs on the NHTSA website with identical issues.
As of yesterday a new TSB came out covering 2017-2019 Pilots. Hondamon shared the TSB, so I would work with Honda to get reimbursed.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Thank you Hondamon. I got fully reimbursed. Your post made me call them and get it. I owe you a few beers.
I was not notified either but fortunately my local dealership was already aware of the SB and told me that it was covered. Glad everything worked out and I hope that everyone who had their injectors replaced before the SB came out goes back for reimbursement.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just got the Emission light come up on my 2016 EX-L RES. 90,000km. I'm in Canada. Would my Pilot qualify for the fuel injector fix? I didn't get any extended warranty. :(

·
Registered
868 Posts
I just got the Emission light come up on my 2016 EX-L RES. 90,000km. I'm in Canada. Would my Pilot qualify for the fuel injector fix? I didn't get any extended warranty. :(
Just contact a dealership of your choice and they will run the VIN and they will tell you over the phone if your Pilot qualifies. You mileage is in line with mine when I started to get the warning. You may also want to check with a code reader to verify what codes are registered. Just don't reset them as they need to be confirmed for the warranty to apply.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just contact a dealership of your choice and they will run the VIN and they will tell you over the phone if your Pilot qualifies. You mileage is in line with mine when I started to get the warning. You may also want to check with a code reader to verify what codes are registered. Just don't reset them as they need to be confirmed for the warranty to apply.
Thanks fire the advice. I'll contact them this week to find out. It's good to hear that you're situation is similar to mine. Wish me luck.

I wouldn't know how to check my codes or clear the codes myself. :)

Thanks.

Reactions: Hondamon

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks everyone for your due diligence and caring. Without the folks on this forum most of us would never know what's going on.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I own a 2019 Pilot EXL with 78,000km that I bought last Wednesday with the Certified Honda extended powertrain warranty. On my first full day of ownership (Thurs) the “Emission system problem” check engine light came on while I was on the highway. Lucky me.

Needless to say I was not impressed and knew enough from reading these forums that it could be the fuel injectors. The vehicle was driving fine, but I nonetheless called the dealership right away and booked a service appointment.

I brought it in to the dealer this morning (Monday) at 8 AM and within three hours I had had all six fuel injectors and fuel pipes replaced. Before I left the dealership at 8am, I made it known to the service manager that I was well aware of the fuel injectors being an issue with the engine. He advised that he didn’t think my VIN was covered under the warranty. To my luck, it was.

In the end, all repairs were covered under the Honda service bulletin warranty, so I did not pay a cent for the repair. I also have the extended powertrain warranty which I assume would have covered it, but the dealership said this repair was not done under that warranty. Rather it was repaired under service bulletin A-2-18.

For reference this is at Whitby Oshawa Honda just outside of Toronto. So far they have done me well with both my Pilot and Odyssey.

2019 Pilot EX-L Navi (Black)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
868 Posts
I own a 2019 Pilot EXL with 78,000km that I bought last Wednesday with the Certified Honda extended powertrain warranty. On my first full day of ownership (Thurs) the “Emission system problem” check engine light came on while I was on the highway. Lucky me.

Needless to say I was not impressed and knew enough from reading these forums that it could be the fuel injectors. The vehicle was driving fine, but I nonetheless called the dealership right away and booked a service appointment.

I brought it in to the dealer this morning (Monday) at 8 AM and within three hours I had had all six fuel injectors and fuel pipes replaced. Before I left the dealership I made it known to the service manager that I was well aware of the fuel injectors being an issue with the engine. He advised that he didn’t think my VIN was covered under the warranty.

In the end, all repairs were covered under the Honda service bulletin warranty so I did not pay a cent. I also have the extended powertrain warranty, but the dealership said this repair was not part of that warranty repair. It was repaired under service bulletin A-2-18.

For reference this is at Whitby Oshawa Honda just outside of Toronto.

Glad everything worked out for you. The Service bulletin does cover the 16-19 Pilot and the warranty is extended for 10yrs or 200K kms

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks fire the advice. I'll contact them this week to find out. It's good to hear that you're situation is similar to mine. Wish me luck.

I wouldn't know how to check my codes or clear the codes myself. :)

Thanks.
I call my dealer about the Emissions Problem and asked whether the replacement of my fuel injectors would be covered under any service bulletin. They did and check and he said no. There were no campaigns for my vehicle. I referenced the Service Bulletin that was posted on these forums but he said that they're just Technical Bulletins for the technicians to reference when doing the work. Honda doesn't pay for them. He said I would have to pay for the job myself. :mad:

I'm disappointed with them and now I'm not sure what to do. I'm not willing to dish out $1000+ for this work. :(

·
Registered
868 Posts
I call my dealer about the Emissions Problem and asked whether the replacement of my fuel injectors would be covered under any service bulletin. They did and check and he said no. There were no campaigns for my vehicle. I referenced the Service Bulletin that was posted on these forums but he said that they're just Technical Bulletins for the technicians to reference when doing the work. Honda doesn't pay for them. He said I would have to pay for the job myself. :mad:

I'm disappointed with them and now I'm not sure what to do. I'm not willing to dish out $1000+ for this work. :(
Your 16EXL should be covered for 10 years or 200K kms unless it was an imported vehicle or a salvage rebuild. If that is not the case, I would go to another dealership. Did they run the VIN number to check?
My 16EXL with 90K kms was covered for the same issue and I did not have to pay for anything.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Your 16EXL should be covered for 10 years or 200K kms unless it was an imported vehicle or a salvage rebuild. If that is not the case, I would go to another dealership. Did they run the VIN number to check?
My 16EXL with 90K kms was covered for the same issue and I did not have to pay for anything.
I bought the Pilot new in 2016. Based on the VIN, don't think it is an import. I'm assuming that they did a search using my VIN since they looked up my account that has my Pilot on it. I do my service at their dealership. That's what I find frustrating.

I'll try another dealership.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I bought the Pilot new in 2016. Based on the VIN, don't think it is an import. I'm assuming that they did a search using my VIN since they looked up my account that has my Pilot on it. I do my service at their dealership. That's what I find frustrating.

I'll try another dealership.
AFAIK all 2016 Pilots are covered under the initial SB that came out last year and this year the new SB came out to cover 2017 to 2019 models. Here is the original SB covering the 2016 models if that helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 Pilot EX AWD.
27 Posts
Last summer I was told by a dealer that my 2016 Pilot with 88k miles would be covered under warranty as long as the “Emissions System Failure” error was being displayed. I got the vehicle with 82k and now am at 94k. The error has come on twice but went away after a couple of hundred miles each time. Next time it comes on I am going straight to a dealer to get it taken care of. Even know they can tell the code was displayed at one time, it has to be showing.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Last summer I was told by a dealer that my 2016 Pilot with 88k miles would be covered under warranty as long as the “Emissions System Failure” error was being displayed. I got the vehicle with 82k and now am at 94k. The error has come on twice but went away after a couple of hundred miles each time. Next time it comes on I am going straight to a dealer to get it taken care of. Even know they can tell the code was displayed at one time, it has to be showing.
When I took my 2019 in on Monday, the check engine light was not showing, but the OBD reader showed that the “Emissions System Problem” error code P219B occurred the day before. That was enough for the dealer to replace all the fuel injectors. It’s worth arguing / explaining it to them.

·
Registered
868 Posts
The emissions error will eventually set a permanent code in the PCM module that will register when the dealership scans it. The car will still drive ok so don't worry about it until it comes in again. In my case, the emissions warning came in several times then went away for 6 months then it came back when the weather got colder so I took it in for injector replacement then.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
I'm still dodging the bullet on this one with the VCM deactivated.
They won't fix mine for free. 😬

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm still dodging the bullet on this one with the VCM deactivated.
They won't fix mine for free.
Hey if it’s driving fine and not misfiring, that’s a good call.

I just installed the SVCM on my 2019 EXL tonight. Installed without any issues or dash lights. Hoping the SVCM plus new fuel injectors = lots of smooth years of driving.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts