Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the factory tow package installed on my 2017 Pilot. I've read that one of the wires might not be hot from the factory. The wire I'm referring to would be the one that would charge the battery in my popup while towing. From what I understand in some vehicles you have to run a separate wire directly to battery to achieve this. So what I'm asking basically is if I turn my popup refrigerator on to pre cool on 12v while towing to destination will the factory wire harness provide the power needed to charge the popup battery in the camper? I have a power lift roof on my popup and don't wanna end up with a dead camper battery when I arrive to setup.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
If nobody who has the tow package answers your question buy a volt meter. Measure the voltage between chassis (equivalent to battery negative) and the the pin on the trailer connector (Pilot’s side) which feeds ~12v to the trailer’s battery.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If nobody who has the tow package answers your question buy a volt meter. Measure the voltage between chassis (equivalent to battery negative) and the the pin on the trailer connector (Pilot’s side) which feeds ~12v to the trailer’s battery.
Ok sorry but I only slightly understand this. What do you mean by pilots side connector and is this something I do while vehicle is running?

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
You’ll want to measure at the 4-pin or 7-pin trailer connector at the Pilot (the port you’d connect the trailer’s harness into). You should be able to make this measurement with the key in the first or second position (Pilot’s engine not running).

·
Registered
146 Posts
The 4 pins don't have battery connection. The factory wire harness that I added had all the hookups for the 12V and gave a separate I think 30A fuse to plug in at the under hood fuse box on firewall iirc. For the multi meter to check if its working here is the diagram of what should be at the receptacle on the Pilot. https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiek9Cb9IblAhXpYd8KHaJlCakQjhx6BAgBEAI&url=https://www.ajtnt.com/Info/7-Way-Diagram&psig=AOvVaw14nmff_fz6yasG5YG3goxM&ust=1570426349798840 meter between a good ground and the 12V tab on top right with car running.

Side note: Happened to a couple people already on here that got wrong info from dealer. Confirm that the dealer installed the tranny cooler as part of tow package. Also if you are AWD or FWD depends how much you can tow with and without the cooler.

Also does your trailer have electric brakes pending how heavy it is? there is a harness all set up for electric brake controller.

On the collegehills honda site you can download the wiring install directions and shows where the fuse goes. You can see if it is there. I didn't install my fuse as the trailers I tow currently don't have a battery. Typing this just gave me an idea though for getting a plug and using that for my VIAIR compressor for beach instead of lifting hood and clamps to battery.

http://www.hosuv.com/honot-731.html has the location of fuse #17 is trailer charge it's a 20A. The 30A Block main one powers all the relays etc for the trailer harness.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts