Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
New on the forum!
looking to purchase either one of the two. Reading some horror stories should I keep away from the Pilot?
I have always loved the handling Honda vehicles. My Odyssey have been great.
Thoughts?
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
813 Posts
How much is your budget and what features are most important to you? Either one are great options but I'd probably go for a Touring if the price is good. You just have to watch out if that car has issues obviously. The Touring is more upscale but the EX-L offers the more necessary items at a lower cost.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Welcome!

IMO the Pilot fills a nice niche in the market. I also have an Odyssey as the main family hauler and it's a good compliment. Honda's aren't as bulletproof reliability-wise as they used to be...I've had far more problems with my Pilot in 2 years of ownership than I've had in 5 with the Odyssey. The only vehicle I could find comparable price and features-wise to the Pilot was the Dodge Durango (I bought mine used as well).

As for issues, the 9-speed transmission in the Touring had some teething problems early, but has had some software updates and no one complains about it now. The 6-speed in the EXL is the same as in the 4th-gen Odyssey and is fine as long as you change the fluid regularly. There is no standalone tranny cooler standard and the lines don't even run through the radiator like they do on the Odyssey for mild cooling; as a result the tranny fluid overheats and causes problems if not changed regularly. The Pilot also has the same cylinder deactivation system (Variable Cylinder Management) that causes problems on all their V-6s...easy to deactivate with a $100 aftermarket part though.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
868 Posts
Prior to purchasing our 16 EXL, we test drove a nice 17 Touring model with about 50k kilometers. I did not like the 9 speed transmission as it seemed to be shifting all the time and did not feel as smooth. We ended up purchasing the 16 EXL with 80k kms and are happy so far. There are some issues with the fuel injectors and torque converter which Honda is acknowledging. Whichever model you decide to purchase, I would purchase a VCM disabler to reduce the wear and tear on the torque converter and we have one installed on the 16. The car is very quiet, drives really well and gets amazing fuel economy for a larger SUV but there are a few issues like I mentioned so you may want to consider an extended warranty if it is reasonable .

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
Disabling the VCM? You can go either way.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys for the quick responses. The price between the two is only over 2K difference with the obvious, Touring being more expensive. The touring too has the extended 160K- 7 year warranty.
So based on these you folks recommend still going ahead with the purchase?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Ooh, is that a certified Honda pre-owned vehicle extended warranty? Or a 3rd party? If Honda Care I would jump on that (assuming the price is reasonable).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So in essence there will still four years/120 K warranty left from the original.
The touring has 43k kilometres on it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought a certified 2017 ex-l about a month ago. Always respected Honda but never considered one until now. Drives like a minivan, but I like it. No complaints yet.

Hi!
New on the forum!
looking to purchase either one of the two. Reading some horror stories should I keep away from the Pilot?
Thoughts?
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks. The extended warranty is on the drivetrain only. Should I buy the extra bumper to bumper warranty?

·
Registered
813 Posts
I don't think there are issues with the electronics on that year Pilot. Just make sure that the warranty covers the fuel injectors. Fuel injector issues aren't common on this year but they do happen.

·
Registered
11,364 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Ooh, is that a certified Honda pre-owned vehicle extended warranty? Or a 3rd party? If Honda Care I would jump on that (assuming the price is reasonable).
The extended warranty is only good if it's honored. Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So i test drove the Touring and drove it hard. Accelerated from 0 to 60 in no time and slowed down to a grinding halt. The transmission responded quite well. It was exceptionally smooth.
The vehicle was a real pleasure to drive, a far cry from my 2011 Odyssey.
I didn’t end up making an offer due to some cosmetic issues.
There was a small damage on the leather seat on the driver side, and some minor scratches on the body that I’m sure could be buffed out.
I’ll be looking at the exl next.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi!
New on the forum!
Thoughts?
Thanks in advance!
The new generation Hondas, any model on or after 2016, are having lot of maintenance issues. I’ve 2016 Honda Pilot Ex. I got the Fuel injector issue($1250 from my pocket) exactly after owning 3.5 years at 52500 miles. A good number of 2016 Honda Pilots have this issue. Honda didn’t reimburse me. I checked in different forums and even car mechanics. Most people say that the fuel injector should work for the life of the car. Honda should issue a recall. For some reason, Honda focuses more on look and feel and bigger size of their cars rather than on quality.
Anyway, I immediately bought extended warranty from the Honda dealership for $1528. I can never rely on Hondas after 3yr/36000 miles as they are prone to have more maintenance issues than a comparable Toyota.
See the JD power 2020 reliability ratings. Honda and Acura are not in the top 10

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The new generation Hondas, any model on or after 2016, are having lot of maintenance issues. I’ve 2016 Honda Pilot Ex. I got the Fuel injector issue($1250 from my pocket) exactly after owning 3.5 years at 52500 miles. A good number of 2016 Honda Pilots have this issue. Honda didn’t reimburse me. I checked in different forums and even car mechanics. Most people say that the fuel injector should work for the life of the car. Honda should issue a recall. For some reason, Honda focuses more on look and feel and bigger size of their cars rather than on quality.
Anyway, I immediately bought extended warranty from the Honda dealership for $1528. I can never rely on Hondas after 3yr/36000 miles as they are prone to have more maintenance issues than a comparable Toyota.
See the JD power 2020 reliability ratings. Honda and Acura are not in the top 10

ended up going with the exl with extended warranty.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts