Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 EX with Honda Sensing. (6-speed auto transmission) 49,300 miles.

A few days ago I was driving on the interstate at 70mph, and got a "Transmission System Problem" warning. The Pilot was driving just fine. I got off of the interstate, and shut the engine off for a few minutes and re-started. Everything was fine. Since then I have gotten no more warnings.

To be prudent, I took the Pilot into my Honda dealer today for diagnostics, and they say the transmission needs to be replaced. The code they got indicated a "Tourque Converter" issue. They said it was internal to the transmission, and that they weren't going to tear it apart to get more info. Fortunately I am still under the power train warranty. Anyone else seeing or hearing of this issue?

BTW I also need to replace the "Keyless Entry" circuit board ($622) as it is indicating a failing state, although I have had no issues with the remote keyless entry or remote start systems.

I am considering bailing out of this vehicle........ This is too much to be going wrong on a 3 year-old SUV with 50k miles

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,587 Posts
What service have you done to the transmission? I seem to remember there was a TSB regarding the transmission acting up.

Also are you experiencing issues with the Keyless entry or are they just telling you it needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts

A few days ago I was driving on the interstate at 70mph, and got a "Transmission System Problem" warning. The Pilot was driving just fine. I got off of the interstate, and shut the engine off for a few minutes and re-started. Everything was fine. Since then I have gotten no more warnings.

To be prudent, I took the Pilot into my Honda dealer today for diagnostics, and they say the transmission needs to be replaced. The code they got indicated a "Tourque Converter" issue. They said it was internal to the transmission, and that they weren't going to tear it apart to get more info. Fortunately I am still under the power train warranty. Anyone else seeing or hearing of this issue?

BTW I also need to replace the "Keyless Entry" circuit board ($622) as it is indicating a failing state, although I have had no issues with the remote keyless entry or remote start systems.

I am considering bailing out of this vehicle........ This is too much to be going wrong on a 3 year-old SUV with 50k miles
My 2018 with 58,500 miles did the same thing. Dealer did 3x ATF change. Trouble code came back. Honda replaced the torque converter under warranty.

My opinion, this is caused by Gen 3 VCM system, which slips the torque converter lockup clutch to smooth out vibrations.

After you get a warranty repair on the transmission, I suggest that you install a VCM disabling device, to prevent additional damage.

·
Registered
813 Posts

Can you elaborate on the keyless entry issue a little more please? So is the car saying that there is a keyless entry issue?

About the transmission, there's no reason you shouldn't get a new transmission. Just know that after you get the transmission, you should disable the VCM.

·
Registered
9,775 Posts
If you did bail out, what would you get?

·
Registered
11,439 Posts

I wouldn't bail out now with a new transmission. That's like getting a new start. I'd disable the VCM and shoot for 200k miles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What service have you done to the transmission? I seem to remember there was a TSB regarding the transmission acting up
I did all of the scheduled maintenance, when recommended, and did it all at my dealer. Never had to do anything out of the ordinary. I was never told about any service bulletins of any kind.

Also are you experiencing issues with the Keyless entry or are they just telling you it needs to be replaced.
Can you elaborate on the keyless entry issue a little more please? So is the car saying that there is a keyless entry issue?

No issues at all. Keyless entry works fine. Remote start works fine. When they checked the codes in memory to see why I got the transmission warning, the keyless entry code was there also. I never got any kind of warning, other that the single instance of the "Transmission System Problem" that pushed me to taking the vehicle in for diagnostics.

I told them I would wait until something actually happed before replacing the Keyless Entry circuit board module. I am out of the standard 3 year 36k mile warranty, but still in the power train warranty. I have a 3rd party roadside assistance membership that will tow my vehicle if the keyless system decides to lock up and the vehicle refuses to start.

I wouldn't bail out now with a new transmission. That's like getting a new start. I'd disable the VCM and shoot for 200k miles.
Regarding disabling the VCM: What is involved in that? Is it a mechanical procedure? or a software procedure? Will the dealer do that? Or is that in rogue territory? Will disabling the VCM void any warranty on the new transmission?

If you did bail out, what would you get?
I don't know. I moved to the Honda Pilot after my 14 year-old 2003 Toyota Highlander head gasket failed at 80k miles. (Internet searches revealed a long time 'known issue' with that model.) So... Toyota=No Honda=?? I am not super confident with these issue occurring at 50k miles.
I am a Scoutmaster, and need a large SUV for hauling gear. At least this time I have time to do a lot more due diligence. When my Highlander failed. I had to get a new SUV in a few days.

·
Registered
11,439 Posts
Regarding disabling the VCM: What is involved in that? Is it a mechanical procedure? or a software procedure? Will the dealer do that? Or is that in rogue territory? Will disabling the VCM void any warranty on the new transmission?
There are aftermarket devices that clip onto the engine temp sensor that trick the ECU to a lower engine temp. The VCM will not activate at this lower temp. I've not heard of anyone having their warranty voided or a claim unpaid by using the device. Ultimately, it is the VCM that causes the torque converter clutch lock issue among other problems ot can cause.
I use S-VCM ($95). There are others.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts