Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I’m debating between the following two 2017 Pilots and I appreciate your opinions. I’ve read a lot about the problematic 9-speed ZF transmission in the Touring.

1. 2017 EX-L with RES with 54,000km - $30,500 (Canadian)

2. 2017 Touring (Honda Certified) with 86,000km AND extended powertrain warranty through 160,000km - $30,900 (Canadian)

I have 4 young kids so the RES is a must.
I’m really torn because I love the look of the touring but the higher mileage and the 9-speed scare me a bit, even with the extended warranty. Both are black on black leather.

Which would you pick and why? Thanks.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
871 Posts
We had a similar situation a year or so ago and after test driving a 17 Touring, we were not impressed with the 9speed as it always seemed to be shifting and it was really noticeable. We ended up purchasing a 16EXL and have been very happy with it and the one we found also had a factory hitch. We had some problems with the injectors and the start/stop button which were both covered by Honda under the Service Bulletins for those two issues. We also declined the 3rd party warranty offered by the dealership as it was almost $4K for a bumper to bumper 3yr. I would take them both for a long test drive before you make your decision. I do like the lower mileage on the EXL though.

·
Registered
Glorificatus Oleum Mutante
12,299 Posts
Sitting in my chair, not being able to test drive the vehicles, I'd likely lean towards the 9-speed Touring. But either or, I'd have a VCM disabling device in the mail. I use S-VCM from Canada. I wouldn't buy either one without it.

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
642 Posts
Have you checked what a new EXL with RES is selling for? Not sure if you can find a left over 2020 but I think you might be surprised by the lack of savings going used.

Either way that's not a lot of miles, how does the carfax look? Any issues with the 9 speed would be documented with dealer visits.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
871 Posts
Have you checked what a new EXL with RES is selling for? Not sure if you can find a left over 2020 but I think you might be surprised by the lack of savings going used.

Either way that's not a lot of miles, how does the carfax look? Any issues with the 9 speed would be documented with dealer visits.

Good luck!
When we purchased ours used a year or so ago the price up here in Canada was approaching $60K CDN for a new 2020 touring so $30K for those used ones is in the ballpark.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
5,092 Posts
Hi everyone,

I’m debating between the following two 2017 Pilots and I appreciate your opinions. I’ve read a lot about the problematic 9-speed ZF transmission in the Touring.

2. 2017 Touring (Honda Certified) with 86,000km AND extended powertrain warranty through 160,000km - $30,900 (Canadian)

I’m really torn because I love the look of the touring but the higher mileage and the 9-speed scare me a bit, even with the extended warranty. Both are black on black leather.

What does the service records and Car Fax reports tell you. I wold rather have a vehicle with 86Km's on the odometer if it has been well cared for withl all of the proper services done on time every time, than a vehicle with 54Km's that just had basic oil changes or minimal service.

·
Registered
10,183 Posts
I’m really torn because I love the look of the touring ...

Are both vehicles 4WD/AWD (or 2WD/FWD)?
Besides the "look" of the Touring version, does it have any features that you would consider essential?
https://www.honda.ca/Content/honda....18102_08_Pilot_brochure_2017_EN_v7_Online.pdf

·
Registered
503 Posts
The 9 speed has been significantly improved from the early years with software updates. I wouldn't be afraid of it; frankly I think it is the better transmission.
Either way I would want the extended HondaCare coverage from a CPO.

Also, since you have young kids, note that the EXL RES does not come with speakers in the third row. Seems like a minor thing but if you are using this as your primary family hauler it'll become really annoying really fast.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a 2016 Touring 2WD with 75.4K original miles. I never had any of the 9 speed issues mentioned; it does all 9 of them without hesitation. I did have the injectors replaced @ 68K. Acceleration is awesome with my K&N Filter and cruising is smoth.

I have a OEM hitch for transporting a lawn tractor and small items. The RES make me the coolest grandpa and long trips with movies & games are awesome. It may be prejudice on my part but if I had to pick again I wouldn't hesitate to go with the Touring.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'd go with the EXL. I bought one new and am happy with it. I considered the touring too, but I am not a fan of the 9 speeds. I'd also seriously reconsider your requirement for RES. I'd invest in 4 or 5 tablets with headphones and greatly expand the pool of candidates. Then the kids don't fight over the RES, and replacing a tablet is 100x cheaper than a RES.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
642 Posts
I'd go with the EXL. I bought one new and am happy with it. I considered the touring too, but I am not a fan of the 9 speeds. I'd also seriously reconsider your requirement for RES. I'd invest in 4 or 5 tablets with headphones and greatly expand the pool of candidates. Then the kids don't fight over the RES, and replacing a tablet is 100x cheaper than a RES.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
This is what I was thinking too.
Amazon tablets are pretty cheap especially when they go on sale.

And they will work well in restaurants depending on how old the kids are. With downloadable content you just need to make sure you renew any downloads before long trips.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I am happy with my decision to get the EXL in 2016. Loved the pano roof, upgraded stereo etc, the9 speed just didn’t drive right. Get extended warranty if you are able. Had a few issues - none left me stranded and all under warranty. 65k, check engine light on, cat converter replaced, injectors replaced after many trips to the dealer. 80k, rpm bounce, transmission flushed, reflash computer. 100k, ignition system error msg, replace push button. Still generally happy with it. Drives nicely, roomy, safe, decent on gas. We used the screen a lot on road trips when kids were little and we didn’t allow personal devices. Now they are on their devices and Res is never used.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
5,092 Posts
This is what I was thinking too.
Amazon tablets are pretty cheap especially when they go on sale.

And they will work well in restaurants depending on how old the kids are. With downloadable content you just need to make sure you renew any downloads before long trips.
Add a wifi hard drive to the mix and you can keep kids entertained for hours, each with their own movie.

In the 2013 Pilot touring had the RES. Great except for the "I wanna watch........."whining. With a wifi portable HD up to 8 different people can connect and watch what they choose.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi everyone,

I purchased new a 2017 Pilot Touring and I love it. The 9 speed did annoy me a bit but they have updated the software and it works great now. It gets great gas mileage. I drove from Calgary to Ottawa and got. 8.4 Litres/ 100KMS. I use AMSOIL Signature Series and the engine runs great. AMSOIL also reduces carbon buildup on the intake valves due to Direct injection. Inspect the intake valves with a borescope to make sure that there’s no problems. Once you buy one of them if you have any problems with any electronic insures the first thing you should do is have the software reinstalled. It solves all these problems. Good luck with your choice. 👍🇨🇦

·
Registered
2017 Pilot AWD EX-L RES w/tow package
1 Posts
Hi everyone,

Hey Kamandor,
I actually bought the 2017 EX-L last week! Pretty neat that I found this post and found the person who drove my car before I bought it 😎.
I actually live in Ottawa and bought it over the phone. I took the train and picked it up last week. It's amazing, I'm extremely happy with it. Can't believe the low milage. Was there anything other than the infotainment system that you didn't like about it?

Thanks!
DiSk0
2017 EX-L RES w/tow package

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That's funny! We did not end up even seeing your 2017, as they said it was being held for someone.

In the end I wanted the updated tech - I had to get the injectors replaced right away (which was a surprise) but was covered under warranty.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.