Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

2017 EX-L Transmission needs replacement at 39,000 miles (6 years old, so no warranty)

1310 Views 25 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  zroger73
My 2017 pilot would lunge / judder with RPM needle wiggling while at constant speed usually around 40 mph. I never got any dashboard indicator lights. I took it to Honda Service. They plugged in the transmission and it was giving them all sorts of error codes so they told me the transmission needs to be replaced. They can't tell me what is wrong with the transmission, just that it's bad. Only 39,000 miles but since the drive train warranty expired a year ago they submitted to Honda and they said I only have to pay $1,500 and they will replace the transmission with a rebuilt one (with 3 year warranty). He said it would normally be a $7,200 job. But it's still $1,500 for low mileage! I've seen the technical service bulletins posted on this site about the judder and torque converter problems. The service person said it wasn't related to my transmission problem ... but also said they had to order 3 transmissions form Honda this week. So doesn't it seem like Honda has a problem and this could be a Lemon law type thing? Should I try to call Honda Corp and see if they will cover this in full? This is my 3rd Honda, but it might be my last (I also still have warped brake rotors that started at low miles and 3 years old ... another defect that Honda would not cover). :rolleyes: Anyone experiencing this, any advice?
  • Angry
Reactions: JYOO
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
236 Posts
That sucks. I would still keep prodding Honda to foot the whole bill. It's worth a shot. If all else fails $1500 for a rebuilt tranny isn't bad at all. I guess my next question to them would be "Who rebuilt the tranny you're putting in?". I would think that if it was rebuilt by Honda you should be getting something like 5,7,10 years. Getting 3-5 years from a local transmission shop is about right, but only 3 from the manufacturer sounds a little weak.

· Registered
15 Posts
I had my tranmission replaced at 41k 2017 pilot. MY delearship covered the full cost. Honda actually provides you witha remanufactured transmission ( which is what i was told). $1500 isnt bad at all. I would also disable the vcm and do drain and fills every 20-30k miles.

· Registered
2019 Pilot EX-L AWD, 265-60-18 Defender LTX M/S
1,291 Posts
For the brakes you can search here or internet. Normally they are not warped as people say but actually a build up of brake pad material on the rotor from keeping brakes pressed hard while the rotors are hot. Read about how to bed new brakes re-bed brakes (a couple hard ALMOST stops with time to cool).

Transmission - try to fight if possible for full coverage. If not and it is Honda rebuilt then and covered for 3 years for that price, that is probably the best you will get. Many are getting MUCH higher prices for torque converter only and forget about full tranny. Different vehicle I had done many years back but the independent shops by me only offered 12 month/12k mile. The Factory rebuilds had 3 year / 36k.

As mentioned after they are done, seriously consider VCM disable, more frequent fluid changes and a transmission cooler if you don't have one already.

· Registered
Bolt - 2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
364 Posts
Is this the 6 speed or 9 speed? The torque converter judder issue was a 6 speed thing.

· Registered
608 Posts
My 2017 pilot would lunge / judder with RPM needle wiggling while at constant speed usually around 40 mph. I never got any dashboard indicator lights. I took it to Honda Service. They plugged in the transmission and it was giving them all sorts of error codes so they told me the transmission needs to be replaced. They can't tell me what is wrong with the transmission, just that it's bad. Only 39,000 miles but since the drive train warranty expired a year ago they submitted to Honda and they said I only have to pay $1,500 and they will replace the transmission with a rebuilt one (with 3 year warranty). He said it would normally be a $7,200 job. But it's still $1,500 for low mileage! I've seen the technical service bulletins posted on this site about the judder and torque converter problems. The service person said it wasn't related to my transmission problem ... but also said they had to order 3 transmissions form Honda this week. So doesn't it seem like Honda has a problem and this could be a Lemon law type thing? Should I try to call Honda Corp and see if they will cover this in full? This is my 3rd Honda, but it might be my last (I also still have warped brake rotors that started at low miles and 3 years old ... another defect that Honda would not cover). :rolleyes: Anyone experiencing this, any advice?
$1,500 is a steal for a remanufactured transmission with a three-year warranty. They're all remanufactured at this point since the 6-speed is no longer being made.

Most lemon laws apply to the first two years or 24,000 miles of ownership and for a problem that occurs multiple times, so there are many reasons why lemon law won't help you here. It sounds like you're basically paying for the dealer's labor (which is fair) while Honda is providing the transmission at no cost (which is generous).

We've seen lots of 6-speed transmission failures and several reports of brake judder on the Ridgeline Owners Club as well - these appear to be two trouble spots with Pilots and Ridgelines.

· Registered
1 Posts
My 2017 Pilot drives fine but I'm now getting the periodic "Transmission System Problem" alert when driving on the highway (sometimes). Had it at the dealer today and they want to replace the torque converter (for $4775) and I'm 6 months past warranty. Do you have any more details around it being "submitted to Honda" by your dealer? Definitely going to try that approach (they didn't offer) and would like as much info as I can get before doing so.

· Registered
Home of the 306k 2012 V6 Honda Crosstour
14,992 Posts
My 2017 Pilot drives fine but I'm now getting the periodic "Transmission System Problem" alert when driving on the highway (sometimes). Had it at the dealer today and they want to replace the torque converter (for $4775) and I'm 6 months past warranty. Do you have any more details around it being "submitted to Honda" by your dealer? Definitely going to try that approach (they didn't offer) and would like as much info as I can get before doing so.
It may be to late, but if it is still drivable, you may try to prevent an expensive repair by doing multiple drain and fills with Valvoline MaxLife ATF (drive a few miles in between) and disable the VCM to prevent the torque converter clutch lock issue. It’s working for me so far.

• Helpful
Reactions: ls973800

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I called American Honda (1-800-999-1009) and didn't get anywhere. I found two technical service bulletins on this Piloteers site (attached) and referenced them in my call. It clearly says "all VINs" in the affected models, but American Honda said it's VIN specific and my VIN isn't listed. And that I should be happy that I only have a $1500 copay for the $7200 job. IT ONLY HAS 39,000 MILES ON IT! <shakes fist in the air> Definitely have your dealer submit a claim to Honda, they should at least give you the $1500 copay deal. My next car will be a Toyota :-(

Attachments

· Registered
14,992 Posts
I called American Honda (1-800-999-1009) and didn't get anywhere. I found two technical service bulletins on this Piloteers site (attached) and referenced them in my call. It clearly says "all VINs" in the affected models, but American Honda said it's VIN specific and my VIN isn't listed. And that I should be happy that I only have a $1500 copay for the $7200 job. IT ONLY HAS 39,000 MILES ON IT! <shakes fist in the air> Definitely have your dealer submit a claim to Honda, they should at least give you the $1500 copay deal. My next car will be a Toyota :-(
Your 2017 EX-L would be included in the Torque Converter Clutch Lock TSB. What month and year was it made according to the door jam sticker?

· Registered
23 Posts
My next car will be a Toyota :-(
My next car will be the GX 460, I just have this unshakable feeling that my Pilot, thought brand new, is a grenade that I'm slowly pulling the pin on with every mile driven, as no matter how well you maintain it, it will just fail at a certain point. I'm really not mechanical but willing/can learn, however, at my age and my work, it's not something I want to deal with other than maintenance required. With that said, in hindsight, I would've got a GX 460....yes, compared to a Touring at 54K with tax vs starting at 56K for the GX, I would spend the extra money knowing it's built well and designed to be very durable / long lasting, without worrying about transmission issues and VCM issues, even with the disabler, esp. when you factor in your time and money and downtime in repairs. I don't care about 25 vs 16MPG, I care about long term durability and hardiness without wondering when will the ZF9 have this issue or the ECU fail, or that fail, etc...it just feels like Honda is living off their past reputation and that the brand is just one step better than Nissan which is not saying much.

· Registered
1,122 Posts
Your 2017 EX-L would be included in the Torque Converter Clutch Lock TSB. What month and year was it made according to the door jam sticker?
Not necessarily, veh are ONLY included when the vin stat says they are period, even if it says "all vins". All vins to Honda means, all vins that show it's included on the vin stat.
Door jam sticker aka build date means nothing for warranty/tsb, in-service date is when the timer starts for time specific events. The tq converter tsb is 8yrs/80k miles, so years from the day the veh was purchased by the original owner from the dealer.

· Registered
14,992 Posts
Not necessarily, veh are ONLY included when the vin stat says they are period, even if it says "all vins". All vins to Honda means, all vins that show it's included on the vin stat.
Door jam sticker aka build date means nothing for warranty/tsb, in-service date is when the timer starts for time specific events. The tq converter tsb is 8yrs/80k miles, so years from the days the veh was purchased by the original owner from the dealer.
Ok.
But… If this 2017 vehicle was made in 2016 or early 2017, I’d think this vehicle would be included. When did Pilots start rolling off the assembly line with new software updates? Or did dealerships go to their lots and update older 2016 and 2017 LX, EX and EX-Ls before they were sold?

Reactions: AVC

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok.
But… If this 2017 vehicle was made in 2016 or early 2017, I’d think this vehicle would be included. When did Pilots start rolling off the assembly line with new software updates? Or did dealerships go to their lots and update older 2016 and 2017 LX, EX and EX-Ls before they were sold?
I checked my Door sticker and my 2017 Pilot was manufactured in 11 / '16. I bought it Dec. 10th 2016 right after it arrived at the dealership.

· Registered
14,992 Posts
I checked my Door sticker and my 2017 Pilot was manufactured in 11 / '16. I bought it Dec. 10th 2016 right after it arrived at the dealership.
I’d ask the dealership prove that the TSB doesn’t apply to your vehicle. I believe you should be included If your torque converter is slipping.

Reactions: pilot__07

· Registered
1,122 Posts
I’d ask the dealership prove that the TSB doesn’t apply to your vehicle. I believe you should be included If your torque converter is slipping.
Dealership has to prove nothing. The op CLEARLY states they called Honda Corp and Honda Corp said this vin isn't included.
The op also stated there were dtc codes retrieved from the tcm. Do you know what they they were, have any idea if d&f the fluid will fix it? How long after the d&f will the trans last? If the op denies the replacement insists on the d&f tsb and the trans fails, will Honda still offer to still help? Bad advise is worse then no advice.
Honda didn't offer to participate in the replacement if they didn't have the data to support it. Vml can't fix everything.

· Registered
14,992 Posts
Dealership has to prove nothing. The op CLEARLY states they called Honda Corp and Honda Corp said this vin isn't included.
The op also stated there were dtc codes retrieved from the tcm. Do you know what they they were, have any idea if d&f the fluid will fix it? How long after the d&f will the trans last? If the op denies the replacement insists on the d&f tsb and the trans fails, will Honda still offer to still help? Bad advise is worse then no advice.
Honda didn't offer to participate in the replacement if they didn't have the data to support it. Vlm can't fix everything.
If $1500 got me a new transmission, yes, I’d probably take the deal.
So at what point would the judder have been covered by the TSB for a 6-speed Pilot made in late 2016? OP waited too long?

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So to close it all up ... I have a "new" (refurbished) transmission. I paid $1500. American Honda states my VIN isn't part of the TSB. The dealership service advisor told me that my transmission had a lot of error codes. When my husband called to ask what was specifically wrong with the transmission he was told they didn't know and don't investigate it because they don't fix them, just replace them. In my last conversation with America Honda I told them they need to look into this as a recall item because there are so many transmission issues for 2016-2017 Pilots. I'm sure they will not. Thank you for all the information and advice. I have a 3 year warranty on the transmission, after that I will sell my Pilot.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts