Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We purchased a 2017 Pilot EX-L new and have loved it. We’ve babied this thing (our first new car) and it’s been to the dealer every 7k for oil and checkup.

I hopped in our Pilot on Friday and within a minute of driving noticed the trans was slipping for 1-1.5 seconds and then shifting hard.

It didn’t matter how little or much gas I gave it, kept slipping for probably 20% of it’s shifts. I immediately called the dealer and headed in. It continued on the freeway on the way to the dealer.

Dropped it off, they flushed the trans and did software upgrades and the tech told me the fluid was black. Not a good thing at under 20k.

I was told to take it home and let them know if there were further problems. On my way home (under 5miles) the trans slipped worse than before, this time for up to three seconds and then banged very hard into gear (I let off the gas as soon as it started to slip).

It continued this the entire way home. It also threw a trans and emissions code error on the way home. Called the dealer, dropped it off this morning. They said they’d look at it.

Any advice for me? We’re not exactly wealthy and purchased a Pilot because we wanted something reliable, but this has been a terrible experience thus far. I’m worried that we’ll have major problems down the road and I’ll be faced with huge repairs. Thank you for any input you can provide.

·
Administrator
15,572 Posts
That's very unusual. Assume you are under warranty. So let the dealer handle

·
Registered
94 Posts
I had the transmission replaced in my previous '16 Pilot EX-L at 10,000 kms and it was completely fine after. It was actually replaced at the same time as the first oil change.

Reactions: Osb40000

·
Registered
22 Posts
We purchased a 2017 Pilot EX-L new and have loved it. We’ve babied this thing (our first new car) and it’s been to the dealer every 7k for oil and checkup.

I hopped in our Pilot on Friday and within a minute of driving noticed the trans was slipping for 1-1.5 seconds and then shifting hard.

It didn’t matter how little or much gas I gave it, kept slipping for probably 20% of it’s shifts. I immediately called the dealer and headed in. It continued on the freeway on the way to the dealer.

Dropped it off, they flushed the trans and did software upgrades and the tech told me the fluid was black. Not a good thing at under 20k.

I was told to take it home and let them know if there were further problems. On my way home (under 5miles) the trans slipped worse than before, this time for up to three seconds and then banged very hard into gear (I let off the gas as soon as it started to slip).

It continued this the entire way home. It also threw a trans and emissions code error on the way home. Called the dealer, dropped it off this morning. They said they’d look at it.

Any advice for me? We’re not exactly wealthy and purchased a Pilot because we wanted something reliable, but this has been a terrible experience thus far. I’m worried that we’ll have major problems down the road and I’ll be faced with huge repairs. Thank you for any input you can provide.
Tell them to change or check transmission fluid pressure sensor.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had the transmission replaced in my previous '16 Pilot EX-L at 10,000 kms and it was completely fine after. It was actually replaced at the same time as the first oil change.
Thanks for the info Puffin! That makes me feel better. How many KM have you driven it since?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tell them to change or check transmission fluid pressure sensor.
It sounds like they are replacing the entire transmission. I'll let them know to change the transmission fluid pressure sensor as well. Thank you for the info Alexz!

·
Registered
850 Posts

I assume this is the ZF 9 speed transmission?

·
Administrator
15,572 Posts
I assume this is the ZF 9 speed transmission?
Nope. ExL has the six speed. It's been Honda's go to for ten years now. They've probably built millions and millions of them and failures are very very rare.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I’m having some issues on my 18 EXL. Sometimes takes to long to switch gears when going from reverse to drive and if i don’t pay attention and hit the gas after switching it clucks when taking off. and I’m always very careful to wait a few seconds for it switch. lately gets a little clunky when taking off from a light or stop sign from a full stop or slips as your were experiencing and the new one that has started about 2 to 3 weeks ago when going up a hill or even small incline foot steady on the pedal and mph not changing the RPMs will fluctuate and I can feel the car bucking slightly as it does it. its only a small amount. If Im at 1500 RPM it will probably street doing it between 200 to 500 rpm up and down for a few seconds. And it did do it once on a level surface. How fast I’m going doesnt matter. and so far have noticed it between 1000 and 2500 RPM

Going to do a full flush this summer myself and see if that helps. haven’t checked the fluid yet going to do that today.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Give us an update on what happens.
They replaced the transmission. Problem is now there is a noise, and a corresponding vibration that was never there before and that I don't trust moving forward. It's extremely noticeable from 30mph on up. For the most part the noise gets drowned out by road noise on the freeway but the vibration is still present. It does appear to be rotational and potentially outside the trans itself. I haven't taken a look at schematics or how this car is laid out. The noise doesn't change with gear shifts, it just gets progressively louder the faster the car moves. I'd guess some sort of output bearing or joint from the trans to the hubs/wheels.

I'm not happy and won't accept this as a repair. I'm taking it back to the dealership today.
I don't want to, but if push comes to shove I'll look at using lemon laws and hopefully find some recourse there.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Turns out it was a wheel bearing, which means they destroyed it when removing the trans and didn't actually care when they took it for a test drive hoping we wouldn't notice. Pretty terrible of the tech that worked on it.

We'll see. Trans doesn't feel like it used to, but I can't say it's horrible either. I really just care about it lasting a long time.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Turns out it was a wheel bearing, which means they destroyed it when removing the trans and didn't actually care when they took it for a test drive hoping we wouldn't notice. Pretty terrible of the tech that worked on it.

We'll see. Trans doesn't feel like it used to, but I can't say it's horrible either. I really just care about it lasting a long time.
That is just a lazy Tech thats for sure. hopefully things are smooth from now on. I would look into Hondacare If you plan on keeping for awhile.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts