Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We purchased a 2017 Pilot EX-L new and have loved it. We’ve babied this thing (our first new car) and it’s been to the dealer every 7k for oil and checkup.

I hopped in our Pilot on Friday and within a minute of driving noticed the trans was slipping for 1-1.5 seconds and then shifting hard.

It didn’t matter how little or much gas I gave it, kept slipping for probably 20% of it’s shifts. I immediately called the dealer and headed in. It continued on the freeway on the way to the dealer.

Dropped it off, they flushed the trans and did software upgrades and the tech told me the fluid was black. Not a good thing at under 20k.

I was told to take it home and let them know if there were further problems. On my way home (under 5miles) the trans slipped worse than before, this time for up to three seconds and then banged very hard into gear (I let off the gas as soon as it started to slip).

It continued this the entire way home. It also threw a trans and emissions code error on the way home. Called the dealer, dropped it off this morning. They said they’d look at it.

Any advice for me? We’re not exactly wealthy and purchased a Pilot because we wanted something reliable, but this has been a terrible experience thus far. I’m worried that we’ll have major problems down the road and I’ll be faced with huge repairs. Thank you for any input you can provide.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We purchased a 2017 Pilot EX-L new and have loved it. We’ve babied this thing (our first new car) and it’s been to the dealer every 7k for oil and checkup.

I hopped in our Pilot on Friday and within a minute of driving noticed the trans was slipping for 1-1.5 seconds and then shifting hard.

It didn’t matter how little or much gas I gave it, kept slipping for probably 20% of it’s shifts. I immediately called the dealer and headed in. It continued on the freeway on the way to the dealer.

Dropped it off, they flushed the trans and did software upgrades and the tech told me the fluid was black. Not a good thing at under 20k.

I was told to take it home and let them know if there were further problems. On my way home (under 5miles) the trans slipped worse than before, this time for up to three seconds and then banged very hard into gear (I let off the gas as soon as it started to slip).

It continued this the entire way home. It also threw a trans and emissions code error on the way home. Called the dealer, dropped it off this morning. They said they’d look at it.

Any advice for me? We’re not exactly wealthy and purchased a Pilot because we wanted something reliable, but this has been a terrible experience thus far. I’m worried that we’ll have major problems down the road and I’ll be faced with huge repairs. Thank you for any input you can provide.
what was the outcome for you with regard to having the issue resolved?

·
Registered
1 Posts

I have a 2017 Pilot LX AWD with the 6 speed Trans I purchased new in Jan 18. It is my 3rd Honda, and both my wife and I agreed it was the best SUV we could have asked for up until November 2019. With 25K miles, the tranny just started slipping between 3rd and 4th, or 4th and 5th (can't exactly remember now). I immediately called the dealer and scheduled an appointment for following week. After dropping it off, they called and said it was gonna need a new transmission. 2 weeks later I got my Pilot back. I had planeed on keeping my Pilot for 3-4 more years, but with these problems I can't afford to take the chance so I'll be trading it next year for a Subaru or Toyota. This really left a bad taste in my mouth for Honda, and I really don't know if I will ever purchase again. I have never had to have anything done to the previous models but routine maintenance.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts