Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure it's a factory setting that can never be found or adjusted, but It seems to me that the indicator triggers only when an approaching vehicle is in VERY close proximity. I paced a car in an adjacent lane and looked over my shoulder as soon as the indicator light came on. Had I changed lanes I would have been right on the other cars bumper. I've looked at my proximity when approaching other vehicles (Mercedes, Audi, etc.) and their indicator seems to trigger much earlier, providing a better safety margin for lane changes.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Peter

·
Registered
518 Posts
Here is some info on the BSI system. If you feel it needs adjustments then the dealer will need to check the alignment.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm sure it's a factory setting that can never be found or adjusted, but It seems to me that the indicator triggers only when an approaching vehicle is in VERY close proximity. I paced a car in an adjacent lane and looked over my shoulder as soon as the indicator light came on. Had I changed lanes I would have been right on the other cars bumper. I've looked at my proximity when approaching other vehicles (Mercedes, Audi, etc.) and their indicator seems to trigger much earlier, providing a better safety margin for lane changes.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Peter
Thanks - I'll have them check it out next time the car is at the dealer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I took the car to the dealer for a normal service and explained my concern about the sensitivity of the BSI system.
Although they'd never encountered my situation, they said they'd look into it. The conclusion of their service tech was that there was a "bad connection" with one of the BSI connectors, which they re-plugged / reset. It seemed like a sketchy resolution, as I don't think a loose connector would consistently result in the same behavior. What I consider to be a problem still exists. When pacing a car (same speed) that's approaching on my left (the grey box below) the BSI system light doesn't activate until the approaching vehicle is in the "20 degree cone" (I'm not entirely sure what that denotes) Were I to change lanes (without looking carefully) prior to the light activating, I would hit the vehicle next to me. I've looked at Volvo, Mercedes, and other brands' BSI sideview mirrors on the freeway (when I'm not the driver) and they seem to activate MUCH sooner than Honda's. Maybe it's just the equipment, positioning or system design ?

Thanks.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I agree that the Alert Zone is very small. I brought up the same concern with my dealer regarding the function on my 2019 Touring. Suppossedly the mechanic and a Honda factory service tech who was there that day test drove it. They said it was "operating as designed". In other words, live with it!

The owner's manual says it is supposed to come on when a vehicle enters the zone about 10 feet from the rear. I think mine doesn't come on until 10 inches! I will be trying a different dealer soon for a few other services, and will have them check this out for me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the insight - please reply back if a different dealer tells you differently.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Honda dealer tech and Honda support people will always say it’s working as designed 99.99% of the time when customers complained about something. I asked a Honda customer service rep about my Pilot, after remote started, the seats not heated up, and he said it was the design, and someone had to sit on it before it will heat up. Think of this “feature” when there is -20 C outside, and what’s the point of this?

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,185 Posts
While I'm sure it's nice to have, and can help provide another measure of safety;

Once again, someone is having problems with something that allows their driving skills to be done for them.
Lane changes, checking blindspots, Slowing down for an object in front of you in their path,etc.

Remember when you actually had to drive a car? Get up to change the channels? Go to the library to research something?

I'm not saying I don't like technology, because I do, and use it extensively every day.

I'm just not ready to have a vehicles systems do the things I do and have been doing, like checking my mirrors and blind spots. As I've said, until ALL vehicles have this technology and interface with each other independently of the driver- I'm not having it. Those 2 requirements are still a long way away.

YMMV

·
Registered
2,185 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the sarcasm - much appreciated.
These safety tools are meant to provide a layer of added protection. Nothing can replace common sense old school methods of "look first". If a system isn't performing accurately, it can be a detriment / danger to the driver, that's all I'm saying.

Have a great day.

·
Registered
885 Posts
While I'm sure it's nice to have, and can help provide another measure of safety;

Once again, someone is having problems with something that allows their driving skills to be done for them.
Lane changes, checking blindspots, Slowing down for an object in front of you in their path,etc.

Remember when you actually had to drive a car? Get up to change the channels? Go to the library to research something?

I'm not saying I don't like technology, because I do, and use it extensively every day.

I'm just not ready to have a vehicles systems do the things I do and have been doing, like checking my mirrors and blind spots. As I've said, until ALL vehicles have this technology and interface with each other independently of the driver- I'm not having it. Those 2 requirements are still a long way away.

YMMV
You don't even appear to have a 3rd generation Honda Pilot so not sure why you are even commenting regarding a SAFETY device on our vehicles. NO where in any of these posts does any one mention they are using these items to allow driving skills to be done for them!!!

Do you use your turn signals? Or is that allowing the car to provide skills that you can't do by using the hand signals that were common years ago. How about brake lights? Do your cars have them or are they also too much of a driver skill assistance device?

No need to add unhelpful information or personal dislike or sarcasm in a post that was asking about the operation of a vehicle system in my opinion. Start another post about what you hate and dislke but try to keep these posts that are asking for information on topic. Or at least try and add something useful or meaningful regarding the problem or question.

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
You don't even appear to have a 3rd generation Honda Pilot so not sure why you are even commenting regarding a SAFETY device on our vehicles. NO where in any of these posts does any one mention they are using these items to allow driving skills to be done for them!!!

Do you use your turn signals? Or is that allowing the car to provide skills that you can't do by using the hand signals that were common years ago. How about brake lights? Do your cars have them or are they also too much of a driver skill assistance device?

No need to add unhelpful information or personal dislike or sarcasm in a post that was asking about the operation of a vehicle system in my opinion. Start another post about what you hate and dislke but try to keep these posts that are asking for information on topic. Or at least try and add something useful or meaningful regarding the problem or question.
Like I said in my later post.

OP found a work around. Look more carefully.
I understand that OP would like the system to work better. OK.

I'll probably end up owning a 3rd Gen also. We bought out 1st Gen in 08- new.
I like to read things, learn things, as I'm sure you do too.

Sorry if I offended you, the OP, or anyone else for that matter.
I re read my post you replied to. I didn't see it as being that bad.
Obviously it was to some.

Have a good day

·
Registered
885 Posts

Perhaps I misunderstood your remark? "Problems with something that allows their driving skills to be done for them" I have nor do I bet others have used these safety features to allow driving skills to be eliminated. Supplemented, yes. Additional resources to use for safer driving, yes.

At least these aren't self driving vehicles like some other makes (Tesla for instance). Driver's have actually been killed or killed others because they DID allow the vehicle to make all decisions and handed over all controls to the vehicle!

Have a good day in return, all's good.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts