Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I have a serious problem with my Pilot. So worried and upset. When I purchased last year brand new, within the first month had a tailgate leak. Honda repaired. Then leak came back with a vengeance and water pouring into rear of car as well as you could hear water sloshing around. Honda repaired, said bad seals at the tail lights.
For the past year, I have been progressively getting headaches out of the blue. Never really thought about it being related to my car. Last few months, in our rainy season, we have been smelling mold in the car. At first, thought it was the AC, which it wasn't. The smell is coming from the sunroof and the panoramic sunroof areas. When I close the shades to these, the smell is minimal. When I open them to let in light, it is enveloping the vehicle with mold smell. My child also gets nauseated and head hurts when in car. After rain it smells, driving with windows down its present, even taking turns you get waves of mold smell. I am terrified at what this means to health long term especially for my child.
Honda did an Ozone treatment for four hours. This was a very intoxicating smell for a week! Could not drive in car without the windows down. Mold smell still present at the roof. NEVER found a wet spot.
Took to another dealer and have a Honda rep present for inspection, all who have claimed to not smell this smell at all! They are nice but I just cannot believe this.
Anyone who drives in my car that is not affiliated with Honda smell this and no one at Honda says they smell this. They removed the headliner, carpet and said no mold found. I am without a doubt concerned and believe I will need a lawyer, get a mold test to my car, contact the State Attorneys office and find someone independent of Honda to smell and see what I can do. I just do not know what else to do. Anyone with any experience or guidance I welcome your feedback. I am absolutely devastated and so worried.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
While I do not smell any mold/mildew in my Pilot I am 150% sympathetic to your situation. I am a person who is very sensitive to molds, exhaust fumes, and certain floral scents. I get the migraine headaches to the smell of Lilac air fresheners. I hope you get this resolved asap or at minimum look into getting out of that car. Black mold can have serious consequences over a long period of time. Please keep us posted and good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Get a few mold test kits for the home and leave them in the car for the instructed time. Send them off and they will tell you if it is a health concern.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you very much for your responses. I will try the kit.
I picked it up yesterday from the second dealer, who says they do not smell this.
I did as did five other people after I left. My fear is this is an issue, they do not want to admit to in fear of future liability.
So I will get the air quality tested, and I guess find a consumer protection attorney to assist me with this.
I am deeply saddened, as I am a 20+ years loyal Honda owner. Have had (2) Civics (2) Odysseys and now (1) Pilot.
If there is anyone else in the Forum that has had issues similar, please let me know.
Will post when I have anymore information as well.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had mold in the rear cargo area of my vehicle. It was from how the rear hatch leaks a little into the back. Weather stripping and lift gate motor and all carpet in the back had to be replaced.

·
Registered
105 Posts
My 2017 Pilot Touring AWD has also succumbed to the faulty seal in the taillight, causing the water to pool in the trunk area of the vehicle. As a result, a very bad mold smell has made my whole family sick and ruined a lot of our belongings in the car. I commiserate with, yet thank the people in this forum that have endured the same issue. I emailed Honda Corporate and got a very boilerplate non-response (see below). And while they fixed the seal and replaced the carpet under warranty, the smell still remains and we are at a loss of what to do.

We'll go with the mold test kit, and I've also reached out to my auto insurance to see what options they can provide.

Thank you for contacting us in regard of odor and leakage concerns with your 2017 Honda Pilot. We value you as a Honda client and we appreciate the opportunity to respond to your concern; and, offer our sincere apologies for inconvenience this may have caused you.

You may speak to the dealership's Service Manager for loaner assistance. Please note that your vehicle's warranty does not cover rental or loaner vehicle.

American Honda Motor Co., Inc., provides a New Vehicle Limited Warranty that follows the Vehicle Identification Number beginning on the original date of service, and continues for 3 years or 36,000 miles whichever comes first. The vehicle is also provided a power-train warranty that starts at the same time, and continues for 5 years or 60,000 miles whichever comes first. American Honda will repair or replace any part that is defective in material or workmanship under normal use. For additional information please feel free to download the PDF warranty booklet in our website http://owners.honda.com/.

If you have any additional questions or comments please do not hesitate to contact us back.

Kind Regards,

Honda Automobile Customer Service

Attention: If you are not the intended recipient please delete the message and notify the sender. Thank you for your cooperation.

·
Registered
145 Posts
are you sure it 's a moldy smell and not a burning smell? Never throw your cigarette butts out the window especially when driving. It's litter that takes a long time to break down bad for the environment. Sometimes the butt blows back into the car un-noticed and caused problems, it has also been the cause of many brush fires. Our fire dept has responded to things like that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I ave a similar issue but I believe mine is coming from front dash area. I have never had a leak or found any carpets moist or wet. The smell is most potent in the passenger seat and usually the strongest when I have climate control off and open drivers window a bit.Recently I have been running my AC a lot and realized that I am not seeing any condensation underneath my car. I checked the drain tube underneath the car and it is not clogged. I have not brought it to the dealership yet. I am curious as to weather you got an answer to your problem?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello! I have a serious problem with my Pilot. So worried and upset. When I purchased last year brand new, within the first month had a tailgate leak. Honda repaired. Then leak came back with a vengeance and water pouring into rear of car as well as you could hear water sloshing around. Honda repaired, said bad seals at the tail lights.
For the past year, I have been progressively getting headaches out of the blue. Never really thought about it being related to my car. Last few months, in our rainy season, we have been smelling mold in the car. At first, thought it was the AC, which it wasn't. The smell is coming from the sunroof and the panoramic sunroof areas. When I close the shades to these, the smell is minimal. When I open them to let in light, it is enveloping the vehicle with mold smell. My child also gets nauseated and head hurts when in car. After rain it smells, driving with windows down its present, even taking turns you get waves of mold smell. I am terrified at what this means to health long term especially for my child.
Honda did an Ozone treatment for four hours. This was a very intoxicating smell for a week! Could not drive in car without the windows down. Mold smell still present at the roof. NEVER found a wet spot.
Took to another dealer and have a Honda rep present for inspection, all who have claimed to not smell this smell at all! They are nice but I just cannot believe this.
Anyone who drives in my car that is not affiliated with Honda smell this and no one at Honda says they smell this. They removed the headliner, carpet and said no mold found. I am without a doubt concerned and believe I will need a lawyer, get a mold test to my car, contact the State Attorneys office and find someone independent of Honda to smell and see what I can do. I just do not know what else to do. Anyone with any experience or guidance I welcome your feedback. I am absolutely devastated and so worried.
I have the problem. Strongest when the sunroof is open. Today with the sunroof open I tried cleaning any area I could get to with bleach. I’ll let you know if it’s any better.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts