Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All. Just bought my first Pilot - a 2017 EXL. My question is how do you use the ECON button? Why not just have it on 24/7? Or do you just put it on for the hwy? Manual doesn't say much

·
Registered
18 Posts
ECON mode adjusts or restricts throttle response to improve engine efficiency. I only ever use it when I'm on the highway and am able to cruise along without any stop and go. That's when I feel it's effective as evidenced by the increase in MPG on the trip meter. It's counterintuitive to leave it on all the time, especially in city driving with lots of stop and go, because it's more strain on your engine. More strain = more gas = less MPG. I'm sure someone else can provide a better scientific explanation.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I leave it on ECON all the time...but then I drive pretty "sedately" anyway so I'm probably getting the best mpg I'm gonna get considering both those factors.
And no complaints here re: mpg, be it city or highway driving.
-- BR

·
Registered
103 Posts
I keep it on while sitting in traffic.

Turn in off when you need a bit more power.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I never use the ECON button I actually forgot I had it. I got 28.5 MPG on a 6 hour trip from PA to DE so I’m happy with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
The only time I even bother with the econ button are long trips on the highway. Not even sure if it does anything just cruising along. Can't stand it around town.

·
Registered
32 Posts
it's an almost worthless button mainly used as a marketing tool more than anything. just like every other cars that has one.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hi All. Just bought my first Pilot - a 2017 EXL. My question is how do you use the ECON button? Why not just have it on 24/7? Or do you just put it on for the hwy? Manual doesn't say much
I use the button all the time except when I'm driving up steep hills or suddenly need to make a lot of lane changes in busy traffic, or I need to pass someone immediately. One of the real advantages I get from having Eco on is that it smooths out the throttle response for city driving. With Eco off, the call is a little bit more twitchy. I much prefer the smoother, gradual throttle response with it on.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I use the button all the time except when I'm driving up steep hills or suddenly need to make a lot of lane changes in busy traffic, or I need to pass someone immediately. One of the real advantages I get from having Eco on is that it smooths out the throttle response for city driving. With Eco off, the call is a little bit more twitchy. I much prefer the smoother, gradual throttle response with it on.

Agree 100%. I do the exact same thing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts