Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My in law wants to buy a 2017 pilot ex-l. I have a 2020-exl.
1. What are the major differences that they would notice vs my 2020?
2. What are the major issue with 2017s?
3. Is an extended warranty required? It has 27k miles. Which of the common issues reported here are covered and which arent covered by the extended warranty?
4. Any better alternatives for a 3 row? They were looking at the 3 row (2017?) infinity that is cheaper, but older infotainement system. I've done some of this research and it seems all these cars have issues and you got to pick your poison. IS that right?
5. I saw an exl 2017 without navigation system listed as a feature. Contacted dealer and they said airplay is not a feature but could be upgraded. Is that right? i thought all 2017 exls had android auto/carplay.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
With any Pilot I bought, I'd disable the VCM.
That being said, I own a 2017 EX-L 2wd, it had transmission trouble early on. I solved the problem with clean full synthetic fluid and by disabling the VCM. Check the service records for any transmission work that has been done. Specifically a TSB for the torque converter clutch lock issue. If it has not been performed, when the vehicle is taken for a test drive, watch for a erratic rpm gauge, like in this video.
Honda solves the problem with a software update and a 3 time drain and fill of the ATF.
Other than that, it's been great so far.

Reactions: aloogatr

·
Registered
439 Posts
2017s have been having fuel injectors go out. The warranty extension issued by Honda late last year only covers 2016s so far, so I'd advise them to get a Honda Care extended warranty if possible.

If a larger 3rd row isn't so important then you've got a whole host of vehicles that are good alternatives at a similar price. Highlander, CX-9, Durango, Traverse, even MDX. Ascent and Pallisade/Telluride may be too new to find much used at a similar price but are also comparable options.

I agree you have to pick your poison. Pilot will be as reliable as the others as long as you disable VCM and do regular ATF changes (on 6 speed).

·
Registered
813 Posts
I think the carplay thing is a pretty big red flag. Maybe they were trying to get you ( or the other person buying the car) to spend extra money so you can have carplay, which the car already comes with at no extra cost. Unless there was some communication issue, that dealer seems a little fishy.

·
Registered
2003 accord sport 2017 pilot lx white diamond
9 Posts
My in law wants to buy a 2017 pilot ex-l. I have a 2020-exl.
1. What are the major differences that they would notice vs my 2020?
2. What are the major issue with 2017s?
3. Is an extended warranty required? It has 27k miles. Which of the common issues reported here are covered and which arent covered by the extended warranty?
4. Any better alternatives for a 3 row? They were looking at the 3 row (2017?) infinity that is cheaper, but older infotainement system. I've done some of this research and it seems all these cars have issues and you got to pick your poison. IS that right?
5. I saw an exl 2017 without navigation system listed as a feature. Contacted dealer and they said airplay is not a feature but could be upgraded. Is that right? i thought all 2017 exls had android auto/carplay.

Thanks for any help!
2017 is a good year zero recalls , Apple play not sure about the other brand , differences that has the 6speed vs your 9speed
I’m getting to really enjoy my 2017 , not rich blood over here I got a lx white diamond 32k on the dash 21k otd , my only advice flush flush that tranny and enjoy

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have 64K miles on my 2017 EX. Engine and transmission have been flawless so far. Tire and suspension noise can be annoying. Wired Apple Carplay works fine. Water was intruding into my liftgate and draining inside the cabin. Dealer said they fixed it. I have drained and refilled the tranny 3 times since new. I have not disabled my VCM with an aftermarket device. My engine and transmission are smooth and quiet. I have 14K towing miles as well here in central Florida.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the insights. Turns out the car did have carplay. It was a non honda dealer and they don't seem to know much if anything about hondas. We took it, think it was a decent deal at $25.5k here in the northeast.Think they priced it as not having carplay, which was a bit overpriced, but with carplay and all I think it was below anythign else around.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts