Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I completed a drain and fill of the transmission today and was surprised when ~4.5 quarts ended up in the drain pan. I have a 2017 Pilot AWD with the tow package (trans cooler). On refill (with the fill port) I put the 3.5 qt in as specified in the manual. Re-assembled, warmed the car up, ran through the gears and checked the level. Nothing on the dipstick. I added a half qt through the dip-stick port and checked again. Just touching the bottom. Another half and the level was right on. I feel that I have the level right because the amount out, amount in and the dip stick match. I can't say I am not worried that it doesn't match the manual or most anything I found online.
Does the transmission cooler add about a quart to the fill volume for a normal change?
Overall easy job, did the oil and filter, tire rotation, rear diff and transmission in a couple hours.

·
Registered
9,446 Posts
I completed a drain and fill of the transmission today and was surprised when ~4.5 quarts ended up in the drain pan. I have a 2017 Pilot AWD with the tow package (trans cooler). On refill (with the fill port) I put the 3.5 qt in as specified in the manual. Re-assembled, warmed the car up, ran through the gears and checked the level. Nothing on the dipstick. I added a half qt through the dip-stick port and checked again. Just touching the bottom. Another half and the level was right on. I feel that I have the level right because the amount out, amount in and the dip stick match. I can't say I am not worried that it doesn't match the manual or most anything I found online.
Does the transmission cooler add about a quart to the fill volume for a normal change?
Overall easy job, did the oil and filter, tire rotation, rear diff and transmission in a couple hours.
Hmm, with cooler, most I ever drained out was 3.9 qt. That was by jacking up the drivers side rear tire and letting it drip until it stopped.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. The way I had it up the front was lower than the back, but not so much that it was unsafe on (not HF) jack stands. I drove it and checked the fluid level this morning and it is right between the marks.

·
Registered
9,446 Posts
Thanks for the reply. The way I had it up the front was lower than the back, but not so much that it was unsafe on (not HF) jack stands. I drove it and checked the fluid level this morning and it is right between the marks.
I definitely would like to drain more out. I'll experiment next time. 1st, raise the front end up high. Drain it. Then lower to the ground and lift left rear wheel and see what I get out of it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts