Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looking for thoughts anyone’s willing to share. In the market for a midsized SUV. We have tested out a few cars, namely the Honda Pilot, Toyota Highlander and Hyundai Santa Fe XL. Looking to buy used, 1-2 years old. We have basically settled on the Pilot as the one we like the most. Going for a 2017 or 2018 EX-L to avoid the 9 speed transmission in the Touring. Our initial thoughts were to try to find one with the rear entertainment and under 30,000 KMs. These seem to be going for the low $40’s generally.

I have come across one that is about a 1.5 hour drive from here. It’s a 2017 Pilot. One owner, carfax shows no accidents. The dealer will be certifying it, so it will get the extra 2 years of Powertrain warranty (think that gets me to mid 2024). Only “issues” for us are that it’s the EX-L Navi and higher mileage than we wanted (around 44,000 KMs). Their asking price is $37,500 + GST which seems really good to me. We are in Alberta so no other taxes. All prices are in Canadian dollars.

Questions:

1) opinion on price? Seems good given the mileage to me, but maybe I haven’t been looking for long enough

2) Would you buy a 2017 with 44,000 KMs on it? It’s definitely a bit above average, but just trying to decide if that’s “too much”. It would leave 16,000 KMs for just over a year for the bumper to bumper warranty.

3) Anything else to look or ask for given the mileage? How much tread and brake life would be “too little” to accept in your opinion?

4) for those with Pilots, is there any particular reason to get the Navi over RES? It’s a bit of a hang up for me because I feel like the Navi is less useful these days given CarPlay.

5) Anyone have any luck buying a car out of town and then getting a local dealer to give you the free oil changes if you do all the servicing there? I thought I read of a local Honda dealer that did that but haven’t been able to get confirmation (the sales person at the one place I thought they might do that at didn’t answer that part of my question when I asked).

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello,

The Price seeks good as for the millage I personally have a 2017 EXL Navi with 3rd row with about 42000 km and absolutely love it. I actually just changed my front brake pad (40% left) and rotors due to a slight vibration from the rotors, but other than that I have no issues.

My personal reason for getting the Navi instead of the RES was for resale value (Navi sounds better) and eventually my kids will grow out of it and may not use it. Yes Apple Car Play is nice but I have not used it much in my Pilot since buying it. The built in map is very good IMO and i like when you are using it while playing music the direction is only heard from the drive speaker.

Overall is a great SUV, I highly recommend it's a smooth ride and fun to drive (just take off the ECO mode). In the Alberta cold you would love the heated steering.

Best of luck on your search.

Trini

1 - 2 of 2 Posts