Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
When I shopped my first Honda (Accord 1987), the car was in huge demand in Northern Jersey. The dealer in Mahwah quoted me 3K above MSRP which I'm guessing was about 15K at that time. Salesman said: "Sorry, but if you not willing to pay this - there's someone right behind you who will". I went about 40 minutes north into Upstate NY and bought the Beige Accord for MSRP from a very attractive young lady named Coleen. That was the one and only time I paid sticker for any vehicle, but at the time that was a good deal. Of course back then, buyers didn't have all the tools and technology available now to aid in the negotiations. Wonder if anyone ever looked at dealer profit margins back in the 70s and 80s vs now. The dealers were in the drivers seat back then imho. I'll probably test drive a 16, I do like my 14 Highlander much more than my previous 09 Pilot, but it has its shortcomings also.

·
Registered
774 Posts
We do need people to pay MSRP for the new Pilots so that people like me can have a better chance in the early stages to negotiate. There's too many good cars in the Pilot class which I believe will help buyers with price negotiation. The new Pilot has been getting overall good reviews but so have the Highlander, Explorer, Durango (shares Mercedes GL platform), Santa Fe.
I don't understand what you are trying to say. If people are paying MSRP for the pilot then the dealership isn't going to negotiate with you for a lower price. We need people to NOT pay msrp so that there is a reasonable chance to negotiate a good price.

Also, the Durango shares it's platform with the Jeep Grand Cherokee, not the mercedes GL. Daimler Chrysler split in 2007 and the current Durango was released in 2010.

For me, I'm probably going to end up with a Highalnder although I think I'd rather get a Pilot, because I want to purchase this summer. A highlander XLE AWD can be had for near invoice ~$35.5 ($39.5 sticker) and I expect that I won't be able to get anywhere near the same pricing on a pilot EX-L with honda sensing (same $39.5 sticker). I think the most I'm willing to pay is $1k more than a highlander. I do have some high volume dealers in my area so that should help with allocations though so we will see what happens. If there are a lot of cars available then I may be ok, but if they try to distribute them evenly between dealers nationwide then probably not. If Honda is like most other companies, the high volume dealers by me will see 12 or more pilots before some of the dealers in less populated areas get one.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I do have some high volume dealers in my area so that should help with allocations though so we will see what happens. If there are a lot of cars available then I may be ok, but if they try to distribute them evenly between dealers nationwide then probably not. If Honda is like most other companies, the high volume dealers by me will see 12 or more pilots before some of the dealers in less populated areas get one.
I'm in the west burbs. Let us know how you do!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Also, the Durango shares it's platform with the Jeep Grand Cherokee, not the mercedes GL. Daimler Chrysler split in 2007 and the current Durango was released in 2010.
The Durango actually does share its platform with the Mercedes GL (as does the Grand Cherokee). The platform was in design before the Daimler Chrysler split and appeared in the 3rd gen Durango.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't understand what you are trying to say. If people are paying MSRP for the pilot then the dealership isn't going to negotiate with you for a lower price. We need people to NOT pay msrp so that there is a reasonable chance to negotiate a good price.

Just my theory...what I'm saying is that the dealership needs a certain percentage of people (hence I should have mentioned some people, not majority) to pay higher prices like MSRP. When it comes to meeting the overall numbers they may be more inclined to offer skillful buyers better deals since they have some cushion in the prior sales at MSRP. Of course, if majority of people are paying MSRP, we are screwed.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Build date: 06/07-06/11/15

Hopefully, it makes it down from Ohio so I can take it on my vacation on the 19th- but I'm not holding my breath.

Have 70K-trouble-free miles on my '12 EX-L/Nav. Looking forward to the totally updated model.

Rick
Might want to rethink the Touring or reserve the option to switch to the next lower line Specs list 2016 Tourings and above as being standard equipped with Start-Stop technology. Test drive a vehicle, e.g. later model Malibu, equipped with it in 90 degree traffic and see if you can live with Start-Stop for the next few years or smash your hand on the dashboard in disgust and cancel the order or go for a lower line without it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Might want to rethink the Touring or reserve the option to switch to the next lower line Specs list 2016 Tourings and above as being standard equipped with Start-Stop technology. Test drive a vehicle, e.g. later model Malibu, equipped with it in 90 degree traffic and see if you can live with Start-Stop for the next few years or smash your hand on the dashboard in disgust and cancel the order or go for a lower line without it.
Just a guess, but if it's like other vehicles with the same feature, you should be able to turn it off.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I didn't even consider negotiating on the 1st one off the truck. Were I patient enough to wait another 6-12 months, I would go in and torture the salesman (one of my favorite hobbies).

At least Holman's "dealer prep" fee is reasonable - $650 versus Case's $1,500.

I wasn't expecting any negotiations to take place. Trade-in of my '12 EX-L/Nav, some $$ and let Honda finance the rest. MSRP+ $650 + Tax (less the trade value) + $175 Title fee.

Rick
Are you locked in? Truecar for Fort Lauderdale says a touring should sell for $41,902.... maybe you can use that information to leverage a better deal?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Turning it off is addressed in another thread. There's a button for that.
So they provided a button to disable the engine start/stop..... did they also provide a VCM disable this time around too? That would be ideal, but if not hopefully verbatim's VCMuzzler II device will work in the '16 also.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Got mine yesterday!!
Did not order it but got the first one on the lot!
White Touring.
What a great vehicle! You guys will love yours when they come in. What a drastic difference from the old model.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Looks awesome!! I really like the white with the black trim around the bottom! What interior color did you get? Pics?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Looks awesome!! I really like the white with the black trim around the bottom! What interior color did you get? Pics?
That black trim haunts every vehicle from every manufacturer these days. It looks good with some colors, but others not so much. I think vehicles look so much cleaner without that band of plastic. I know the purpose of using it, but IMHO it looks cheap and will fade unless treated regularly.

On another note, JWVDDS, your new Pilot looks great. Went over to the Honda dealer this morning and they were just unloading the first Pilot off the truck-a black one.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Took delivery today - have 55 miles on it so far.

AMAZING IMPROVEMENTS over the previous model.

I'll reserve further comments until I get more seat time.

MAJOR disappointments though - the LACK OF RECEIVER AND WIRING HARNESS as standard equipment. And while the hitch & running boards were in stock - the wiring harness was "unavailable until 6/30" (according to American Honda). I ordered a Tow-Right, for the 2015 model. The wiring & connectors are the same - except the factory harness for the previous models had the "pre-wired-passthrough" through the floorboard - the '16 harness runs from the module - all the way to receiver - so no using the '15 harness.

OTOH - had some fun with the customer service rep from Honda. They called my parts guy (a long time friend), and HE expressed my extreme disappointment at a $42K auto NOT having tow capability STANDARD, as well as the lack of availability of parts to make it happen.

Honda called ME back (when I was standing in front of the parts counter), and I ripped him a new fecal-orafice for about 20 minutes (on speakerphone of course, for the pleasure of my parts guy).

There's SO MUCH NEW COOL STUFF in this truck (since I am a GADGET FREAK). I'm at my car audio electronics installer to get my Counter-Measures (V1 and Blinder 905C Jammer) installed.

I'll start a new thread to comment on the rest of my impressions...

Rick

·
Registered
78 Posts

MAJOR disappointments though - the LACK OF RECEIVER AND WIRING HARNESS as standard equipment. And while the hitch & running boards were in stock - the wiring harness was "unavailable until 6/30" (according to American Honda). I ordered a Tow-Right, for the 2015 model. The wiring & connectors are the same - except the factory harness for the previous models had the "pre-wired-passthrough" through the floorboard - the '16 harness runs from the module - all the way to receiver - so no using the '15 harness.

OTOH - had some fun with the customer service rep from Honda. They called my parts guy (a long time friend), and HE expressed my extreme disappointment at a $42K auto NOT having tow capability STANDARD, as well as the lack of availability of parts to make it happen.

Honda called ME back (when I was standing in front of the parts counter), and I ripped him a new fecal-orafice for about 20 minutes (on speakerphone of course, for the pleasure of my parts guy).

There's SO MUCH NEW COOL STUFF in this truck (since I am a GADGET FREAK). I'm at my car audio electronics installer to get my Counter-Measures (V1 and Blinder 905C Jammer) installed.

Rick
Good quality interior pics would be appreciated, Ill check out your other thread!

-Chris

·
Registered
11 Posts

Rick
Great, thanks for the info! How much are they charging to install tow package?

21 - 40 of 54 Posts