Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I bought 2016 Touring AWD with 94K on last June. Car is very good. I don't have any issue with the car. Now the car is 100K and it shows me B14 maintenance code on dashboard. So I got quotes from two Honda dealerships which are close to my home. And the prices are too expensive. You may find the quotes below. Aren't these prices too expensive? Do you have any advice to fix these maintenance issue in less expensive way? I am living in Portland, OR. Thanks

Timing Belt : 1.Dealership $1399 - 2.Dealership $1510
Valve Adjustment : 1.Dealership $975 - 2.Dealership $1100

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,283 Posts
Hate to say it but the prices from Dealer ship #1 are about right. The B14 service is the biggie with Honda vehicles. One thing that is missing is new spark plugs. Those should be changed at 100K as well.

You could probably get these jobs done cheaper at an reliable independent mechanics shop. Or if you are mechanically inclined you could do them yourself. The timing belt replacement should include the Timing Belt, tensioner bearing, new water pump and seal. It would be a good time to change the serpentine belt. Should only be the cost of the belt as they have to take the old one of to do the timing belt.

Keep in mind, that if you do not do these services, specifically the timing belt, you could be looking at a much costlier option later on as in a new/rebuilt motor. That can range between 3K to 10K depending on the quality of the motor you choose to put in it.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I have read that the valve adjustments are only if needed, not a must do thing. They can check them easy enough, and it really isn't beyond a DIYer who has a little bit of mechanical ability to do it themselves. The timing belt does sound about right from a dealer if the tensioner, water pump, etc are also being replaced at the same time.

Reactions: Kalimdor

·
Registered
545 Posts
They can check them easy enough,
Once you get to the point of checking them, your 90% done. You either do it, or you don't. It's worth doing, to tight can burn valves. Loose changes your effective camshaft profile, and excessive clearance is hard on valve train. Most customers report smoother idle, slight power and mileage gain after adjustment.

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
Posted this a bit ago.

Reactions: Kalimdor

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Guys. I appreciated.

It seems that I can handle spark plug replacement by myself. I have a plan to buy NGK spark plugs with same part number (NGK DILZKR7B11G Iridium Spark Plug (95350) as Honda. Dealer prices are twice of OEM.

1- Spark Plugs: I found same spark plugs on Amazon and price is very good. I assume that there is no difference between buying these spark plugs from dealer or Amazon.
2- Spark Plug Socket: Again I found one on Amazon, is this socket enough for 2016 Pilot? Or is there any other better alternative? I have other extensions and wrenches.
3- Dielectric Grease: And yes it is also on Amazon. If there is a better alternative please let me know.

I have watched some YouTube videos about Pilot spark plug replacement and I think it is easier to do it for new Pilot. I can handle valve adjustment later, because I don't feel anything wrong with the engine now.

I think dealer is the best place for timing belt kit maintenance but I can't say some cost estimation websites aren't confusing me. For instance repairpal estimates $687 to $823 for timing belt replacement. What do you think about these kind of websites? are these trustworthy?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Lots of counterfeit/fake plugs available on Amazon. Recommend you buy them from a local auto parts store or a place like RockAuto.com

1 - 8 of 8 Posts