Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving my 2016 Touring for about 10 minutes after it sat for two days and stopped at stop light in the turning lane. The dash board started flashing all sorts of warning, clicking, and then turned off. I could not start the vehicle or put in neutral to push off the road. Luckily the police drove by after about 40 of angry drivers honking because I was blocking traffic. I had to get a jump from AAA as it was lunch time and everyone was rushing and didn't have cables. I had it tested and was told the alternator was bad and needed replacing. They said the battery was good but needed charging. I thought it may be the battery as I could not run the accessories for more than 5 minutes before needing a jump. Honda charged $1100 for the replacement. Crazy for only having 69,628 original miles. I driven other new cars for more than 100,000 miles and never replaced the alternator.
To add insult to injury, I was waiting for this weekend to get my fuel injectors replaced because my emission system error warning lights had been coming on intermittently for almost two months (Thank God for enforced teleworking). Honda said they needed replacing.

Total bill after $100 discount and $48 rental since no loaners was available, $2384.76
Very pricy for a 2016 Touring with less than 70 miles. First time I'm questioning the worth of my Touring.
Is this normal?

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Yikes, did you buy used? Ever consider the Honda Care warranty? I'm at 62k miles in a 2016 Touring and am covered until 120k or 8 years. Best $1200 I've ever spent. Sorry you got caught with that. Definitely not the norm.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2016 had injectors replaced at 35k, 75 k and 120k. had an extended warrantee which tacked on an extra 100k in coverage so i cost nothing. The problem is that Ive been driving exclusively hondas since 1978 and always trusted the brand. I was in looking for ether a passport or a pilot recently and asked about fuel injector issues. everyone at the dealership feigned ignorance. I can accept a lemon but not dishonesty. Too bad but I understand toyota makes a good car.

·
Registered
439 Posts
My 2016 had injectors replaced at 35k, 75 k and 120k. had an extended warrantee which tacked on an extra 100k in coverage so i cost nothing. The problem is that Ive been driving exclusively hondas since 1978 and always trusted the brand. I was in looking for ether a passport or a pilot recently and asked about fuel injector issues. everyone at the dealership feigned ignorance. I can accept a lemon but not dishonesty. Too bad but I understand toyota makes a good car.
Wow, 3 sets of injectors! Unbelievable.

Did you by chance get the bad injectors back from the dealer when they replaced them? Curious how bad the carbon buildup was.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yikes i just bought pilot 2016 touring so far so good hope i will not having those issue. I just finish install svcm and oil catch can hope it can prevent further damage. Im wondering if i should clean those injectors just to clean it up before anything break. No warranty at all so hope for the best 84000km

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yikes i just bought pilot 2016 touring so far so good hope i will not having those issue. I just finish install svcm and oil catch can hope it can prevent further damage. Im wondering if i should clean those injectors just to clean it up before anything break. No warranty at all so hope for the best 84000km
Interesting that you're installing S-VCM at 84000k (60k miles approx).
Question: Is there any connection between injector longevity and disabling VCM? Seems like the S-VCM is more of a benefit to transmission/torque converter system. I'd LOVE to find something to help the Pilot be reliable beyond 100k miles (as all my other Hondas have been over the years).

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
I'd LOVE to find something to help the Pilot be reliable beyond 100k miles (as all my other Hondas have been over the years).
IMO, there is nothing good about having your V6 turned into an I3. It makes your enginge vibrate terribly. The only reason you don't know it is because of the high tech engine mounts these are equipped with. If you were parked with engine mounts of old and your V6 running on 3 cylinders, you would shut your engine off immediately, thinking there was something broken. I installed S-VCM to prolong the life of my vehicle. Honda has had their problems with injectors from the factory, but I believe disabling the VCM will improve injector life.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Question: Is there any connection between injector longevity and disabling VCM? Seems like the S-VCM is more of a benefit to transmission/torque converter system. I'd LOVE to find something to help the Pilot be reliable beyond 100k miles (as all my other Hondas have been over the years).
I encourage everyone to disable VCM, but I'm not convinced there is a link between it and the fuel injectors issue. Could be wrong but I haven't seen any indication yet to link the 2. I'm on my 2nd set of injectors, and like you, want to keep this vehicle going! I've got a catch can installed, but while that MAY help keep carbon buildup off the valves it almost certainly won't do anything for the injectors.

I may start using Techron Complete before each oil change. It at least claims to be effective for GDI engines.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Question: Is there any connection between injector longevity and disabling VCM?
That was kind of why I started this poll:

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
I encourage everyone to disable VCM, but I'm not convinced there is a link between it and the fuel injectors issue. Could be wrong but I haven't seen any indication yet to link the 2.
The tall tell all sign would be black oily spark plugs. 3rd gen supposedly have had the oil being pumped up into the cylinders solved from previous generations. I'm not convinced. One person found oil in the intake.
You can not rule out bad maintanance. Keep a good quality air filter clean (not k&n). A clogged air filter and a dirty MAF are a big problem for these engines.

·
Registered
38 Posts
IMO, there is nothing good about having your V6 turned into an I3. It makes your engine vibrate terribly. The only reason you don't know it is because of the high tech engine mounts these are equipped with. If you were parked with engine mounts of old and your V6 running on 3 cylinders, you would shut your engine off immediately, thinking there was something broken. I installed S-VCM to prolong the life of my vehicle. Honda has had their problems with injectors from the factory, but I believe disabling the VCM will improve injector life.
It's unfortunate how Honda has changed the VCM system to where it causes systemic reliability issues in other parts of the engine. We're a Honda family (and extended family). We always buy our Hondas with the intention of driving them to at least 150,000 miles. Right now I have 2 Odysseys in my family - a 2006 and 2010. The 2006 Odyssey is north of 235,000 miles and is driven every day on commutes to/from work in the city. The 2010 just passed 135,000 miles. Both of these vehicles have the 3.0 V6 and VCM. Never a bit of engine trouble with either one. Just routine stuff. Both still have the original fuel injectors and both run like new still. Disabling the VCM on either of these Odysseys never crossed my mind.

The Pilot is a different story. We have had two of those in the family. A 16' EX-L which was sold to a friend (I had the injectors replaced at 24k miles - MtMan I did fill out your survey on that one) and my personal daily driver, a 17' Touring approaching 50k miles. It worries me all the time that it's going to leave me stranded on an interstate due to failed injectors as similar Pilots have done to countless others.

Question - what's our remedy here? How many thousands of Pilots have to strand their owners on the side of the road due to failed injectors until Honda is forced to make this right - up to and include a complete recall and replacement of any/all defective injectors? How do we (the body of Pilot owners who are affected) get Honda to stand behind it? Does it take a class-action suit to get them to move? It makes no sense that we should be forced to accept a defect like this.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
It's unfortunate how Honda has changed the VCM system to where it causes systemic reliability issues in other parts of the engine. We're a Honda family (and extended family). We always buy our Hondas with the intention of driving them to at least 150,000 miles. Right now I have 2 Odysseys in my family - a 2006 and 2010. The 2006 Odyssey is north of 235,000 miles and is driven every day on commutes to/from work in the city. The 2010 just passed 135,000 miles. Both of these vehicles have the 3.0 V6 and VCM. Never a bit of engine trouble with either one. Just routine stuff. Both still have the original fuel injectors and both run like new still. Disabling the VCM on either of these Odysseys never crossed my mind.
I own a 2012 Crosstour. At 180k, after being plagued with emissions codes P0420 and P0430, I had to replace both catalytic converters and replaced all O2 sensors. All was great for a few thousand miles. Less than a year later, the emission codes were back. My vtec (vvt) solenoid assemblies with spools needed replacing because of oil leaks. With the valve covers off for this job, I found cylinder #4 oil darkened and black.

Searching for answers, I found out about the VCM on this forum. #4 is one of the cylinders shut down when the eco light is on. Oil was making it's way into my exhaust clogging my cats. One of the biggest signs I had a problem was oily spark plugs. Since installing S-VCM, my emission problems have disappeared and my spark plugs have dried up clean.
The Pilot is a different story. We have had two of those in the family. A 16' EX-L which was sold to a friend (I had the injectors replaced at 24k miles - MtMan I did fill out your survey on that one) and my personal daily driver, a 17' Touring approaching 50k miles. It worries me all the time that it's going to leave me stranded on an interstate due to failed injectors as similar Pilots have done to countless others.

Question - what's our remedy here? How many thousands of Pilots have to strand their owners on the side of the road due to failed injectors until Honda is forced to make this right - up to and include a complete recall and replacement of any/all defective injectors? How do we (the body of Pilot owners who are affected) get Honda to stand behind it? Does it take a class-action suit to get them to move? It makes no sense that we should be forced to accept a defect like this.
As far as my 3rd Gen 2017 EX-L, I installed S-VCM not only to stop my V6 from being turned into an I3, but it actually cured the "Erratic RPM Gauge of Death."
This is the symptom of the torque converter clutch lock issue. In 6-speeds, the DW-1 ATF will turn to black syrup from all the shedding of clutch material and shift flares will become greater.
I've had S-VCM installed for about 8k miles now. Engine is running great. Transmission is shifting without flares and my fluid is nice and clean. If I felt I didn't have the torque converter clutch lock issue and felt I was doing ok without a VCM disabling device, I'd inspect my spark plugs to see if they are black with oil. If they were, I'd feel that I was headed for engine troubles. With oily black plugs, it would stand to reason that the injectors and valves would look the same.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've had S-VCM installed for about 8k miles now. Engine is running great.
Question Nailgrease: Has anyone checked to see if installing the S-VCM will void the powertrain warranty. I'm just approaching 50k. I love the concept of it, but may wait (if I don't bail out of the Pilot before 60k).

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Question Nailgrease: Has anyone checked to see if installing the S-VCM will void the powertrain warranty. I'm just approaching 50k. I love the concept of it, but may wait (if I don't bail out of the Pilot before 60k).
I bought my 2017 Pilot at auction and rebuilt it at 19k miles (see showcase). I have no warranty (currently at 28k). I had no idea such issues were being experienced with these vehicles. I have no choice but to disable the VCM. My benefits far out way the small risk of how the device works, by tricking the ECU into a lower engine temp.
I don't know of anyone who has had a warranty issue using a VCM disabling device. That's based on information on this forum.

Reactions: Hondamon

·
Registered
813 Posts
I haven't heard of any warranty issues with an S-VCM. The device is pretty easy to install and remove so if you do take it to the dealer, then you could just remove it. That's what I'm planning to do when I go to the dealer.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Is this normal?
No, it's not normal to take your vehicle to the dealer for service outside of warranty. A local mechanic could've replaced your alternator with OEM parts for much less. You probably paid at least 50% more than necessary for these repairs, and didn't even get a loaner out of the deal.

Sorry you had these issues. Cars break -- find a local mechanic that works on Hondas and you'll save a lot of $$$ in the future.

·
Registered
38 Posts
If you do take it to the dealer, then you could just remove it. That's what I'm planning to do when I go to the dealer.
Thanks for the suggestion. Still, I'm trying to reconcile what could be so vastly different in the injection systems and VCM systems of my two Odysseys 3.5 V6 (2006 and 2010) vs. the 2017 Pilot that would cause all of the issues we're seeing (injection, etc.). Keeping in mind that I too had to replace the injectors on my Pilot and never on my Odysseys.

The Pilot is a bit more efficient than my Odysseys, but not a lot. Is it truly a totally different system (ie the 2017 Pilot vs. the 2005-2010 Odyssey)? Sorry to ask DA questions, but what is the difference?

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,569 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion. Still, I'm trying to reconcile what could be so vastly different in the injection systems and VCM systems of my two Odysseys 3.5 V6 (2006 and 2010) vs. the 2017 Pilot that would cause all of the issues we're seeing (injection, etc.). Keeping in mind that I too had to replace the injectors on my Pilot and never on my Odysseys.

The Pilot is a bit more efficient than my Odysseys, but not a lot. Is it truly a totally different system (ie the 2017 Pilot vs. the 2005-2010 Odyssey)? Sorry to ask DA questions, but what is the difference?
I believe they switched to direct injection which supposedly can cause some issues.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts

There were issues with injectors unrelated to the VCM.
For engine issues, cylinder related, your 1st sign of a problem would be an oily, wet, black spark plug. This is likely caused by the VCM and can be solved by disabling it.

Reactions: JBradMcPherson
1 - 20 of 26 Posts