Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2016 Touring Pilot that has 4 years and three months on it (42,551 miles). Lately, the car has been behaving as if the battery is failing, in that the engine will not always turn over when the button is pushed. However, most of the time the car starts on the first try. Our local Honda dealer has given the battery a clean bill of health on all of the oil change services. Does this sound like a battery issue, or is there something else going on?

nickmeloy

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
We have a 2016 Touring Pilot that has 4 years and three months on it (42,551 miles). Lately, the car has been behaving as if the battery is failing, in that the engine will not always turn over when the button is pushed. However, most of the time the car starts on the first try. Our local Honda dealer has given the battery a clean bill of health on all of the oil change services. Does this sound like a battery issue, or is there something else going on?

nickmeloy

·
Registered
295 Posts
i am wondering the same thing on my 2016, it's just over 4 years and I have no symptoms but because of the electronic shifter I am curious if I should replace now or wait for symptoms, the 9 speed battery is pricey compared to regular battery

·
Registered
239 Posts
Be careful to evaluate the battery separately from the starter. A bad starter motor can make it seem as if the battery isn’t delivering enough cranking amps, if the starter winding resistance is too high (usually a problem associated with hot restart issues). You can check the battery by measuring voltage with the engine not running, but a few heavy loads (headlights with highbeams on + rear defroster + fan at top speed + heated seats) and take note if the voltage drops by a significant amount over a minute or two (should be less than 0.5 volt drop over 1 minute for a strong battery). Another test, if you don’t own a voltmeter- while someone is trying to crank the engine, with the high beams on (test doesn’t work very well with LED headlights) watch the high
beams to see if they dim. If they stay strong and bright while trying to crank, the starter or it’s battery connection (or engine ground or battery to frame ground) are bad.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Be careful to evaluate the battery separately from the starter. A bad starter motor can make it seem as if the battery isn’t delivering enough cranking amps, if the starter winding resistance is too high (usually a problem associated with hot restart issues). You can check the battery by measuring voltage with the engine not running, but a few heavy loads (headlights with highbeams on + rear defroster + fan at top speed + heated seats) and take note if the voltage drops by a significant amount over a minute or two (should be less than 0.5 volt drop over 1 minute for a strong battery). Another test, if you don’t own a voltmeter- while someone is trying to crank the engine, with the high beams on (test doesn’t work very well with LED headlights) watch the high
beams to see if they dim. If they stay strong and bright while trying to crank, the starter or it’s battery connection (or engine ground or battery to frame ground) are bad.
Your points are well taken. I forgot to mention in the original post that we almost always disable the auto stop feature, so the starter is only receiving the wear normal to a normal starter. Based on the vehicles behavior, I took the gamble that the problem was battery related and had the battery replaced. After only three days of use following the battery replacement, the problem has yet to return. I will watch the behavior for about a month and report back. The replacement battery is somewhat expensive, around US $300.

nickmeloy

·
Registered
17 Posts
Auto/idle stop feature doesn't use the starter motor. The Computer stops the engine at top dead centre with one cylinder "loaded" with fuel air mixture. When you release the foot brake or steer input the computer signals that cylinder to fire and away you go. No wear and tear on the starter...but I still don't use or like it. Disabled on every startup, usually.

Info from John Codogan, AutoExpert TV on youtube.

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
With our '12 Touring, I had a battery that was flaking out for over a year before the dealer replaced it under warranty. First time, my wife was at Walmart in October 2013. I went out and jumped it. It seemed fine for a few days, but I made an appointment with the dealer. They checked it out and said it was fine. It was fine until February 2014 then it did it again. I remember it was the day before the Super Bowl. She went to the drive-through at Chick-Fil-A and they had her park in a parking space because it would be a few minutes before her order would be ready. She shut the car off, and then it wouldn't start. I drove out to her, and when I got there, I tried and it started right up. I drove it home, let it sit overnight, and it started again the next morning. We had an appointment the following week for an oil change, and had them check the battery and electrical system Once again, they said battery was fine. We had one other incident in the summer of 2014, it was much like the incident at Chick-Fil-A - initially wouldn't start, then it would. Dealer could not replicate the problem. Then in early 2015 my wife was a doctor's appointment when she came out, it wouldn't start. I was out of town on business, so I had her call Honda roadside assistance. They sent a flatbed out and hauled the Pilot to the dealer. This time, they replaced the battery.

Since I am in FL, I've found I am replacing batteries every three years in all of our vehicles. I ended up replacing the battery in the '12 Pilot on my own in 2018, since I was out of warranty. I installed an AGM battery from Rural King (it's a rebranded Exide). Cost me like $100 and has an 84 month warranty (prorated) with 36 months free replacement.

FWIW, I had a similar experience with our 2007 Accord. It wouldn't start a few times, and each time dealer said battery was fine. I bought a battery on my own at Costco and never had a problem after that.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have a bad battery on my 2017 EX-L Pilot, probably due to the dash cam that I have installed. Went to autozone and the guy wouldn't change it out saying that since it' a new vehicle with push/button stop and all that electronic gizmos they don't want to touch it. So my question is do we need to do reprogram or do anything special after switching out the battery?

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have a bad battery on my 2017 EX-L Pilot, probably due to the dash cam that I have installed. Went to autozone and the guy wouldn't change it out saying that since it' a new vehicle with push/button stop and all that electronic gizmos they don't want to touch it. So my question is do we need to do reprogram or do anything special after switching out the battery?
I wouldn't think so, as the Honda instructions for many of the dealer(or self) installed accessories state to disconnect the neg battery cable. You can view many of these instructions on the College Hills Honda web pages. https://www.collegehillshonda.com/category/pilot-accessories.html

·
Registered
6,739 Posts
Reactivate the audio system and reset the clock.

·
Administrator
15,511 Posts
It's been written many times that three years is the sell by date for factory batteries. The battery in my youngest Honda lasted 37 months. Got a great deal on a NAPA AGM battery.

·
Registered
171 Posts
When I replaced my battery I was pleasantly surprised that I didn't need to enter a code or reprogram my presets or anything.

·
Administrator
15,511 Posts
employee pricing for a battery that lists at $180. Think it worked out at $130. No I'm not an employee,

·
Registered
3 Posts
The battery on my 2016 Pilot lasted about 3 years before suddenly dying. It is a pain to access the battery to replace it or do a jump.

·
Registered
2 Posts

nickmeloy
I have a 2016 Honda Pilot EX-L, and have had Odyssey's, an Accord and a Civic.
In every case, the Battery was 'GONE' the first time the cars balked to start. That has been my experience. Oddly, the balking when trying to start often gets better after the initial experience.
Now, whenever my Honda fails to start energetically, and they have 3 years on the battery, I just replace the battery. The batteries always seem to test good, despite the fact that they are gone. Every time I didn't follow my rule, I have found myself stuck with a car that wouldn't start often within a few days to 3 weeks. I'm not saying that something else can't be wrong, but this has been my experience.
Let us know how this works out for you.

·
Registered
64 Posts
My first Honda was a 1997 Civic. The original battery go for 12 years. I give the car with that battery to my daughter… she change the battery 2 year later… she said that the battery
was dead. My point… every fall (before winter) and spring (after winter) I make a full charge of that battery. After I give the car that never happent. In Montreal the winters are very hard specially for the car batteries… remote starter, -30 etc...
So… maybe some TLC can help. Sometime is good to have a charger and plug it minimum one time per year, specially when you drive the car for short distances and use all
accessories: AC in the summer or full heating and defrost in the winter. The battery don't have the time to recharge in driving time.

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
My first Honda was a 1997 Civic. The original battery go for 12 years. I give the car with that battery to my daughter… she change the battery 2 year later… she said that the battery
was dead. My point… every fall (before winter) and spring (after winter) I make a full charge of that battery. After I give the car that never happent. In Montreal the winters are very hard specially for the car batteries… remote starter, -30 etc...
So… maybe some TLC can help. Sometime is good to have a charger and plug it minimum one time per year, specially when you drive the car for short distances and use all
accessories: AC in the summer or full heating and defrost in the winter. The battery don't have the time to recharge in driving time.
Believe it or not, cold is supposedly better for battery longevity. This is Toyota's battery life chart, but it's from Johnson Controls who makes many of the brands of batteries out there. In my experience, it's pretty accurate.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Believe it or not, cold is supposedly better for battery longevity. This is Toyota's battery life chart, but it's from Johnson Controls who makes many of the brands of batteries out there. In my experience, it's pretty accurate.

Very true. Cold puts more demand on batteries what with starting with thick oil, heated seats, defrosters, etc., which is why a lot of weak batteries finally die in the winter months. Heat is bad for battery life & you'll find insulation around many underhood batteries, and some manufacturers locate the battery out of the engine bay(it's not just for weight distribution). I have my doubts of any automobile battery lasting for 12 years.

·
Registered
2017 Pilot EX-L
53 Posts

nickmeloy
A wise elderly mechanic told me years ago to always change the battery every 3 years, no matter what. I didn't believe him until my 2007 Pilot battery died in 2010. And, looking back at my spread sheet of auto expenses, 3 to 3.5 years has always been the average on my battery expenses.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts