Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dealer claims Honda no longer provides 5,000 lb towing capacity sticker for the rear bumper. My hitch rusted and was replaced under warranty. During replacement the 3500 lb sticker was installed. I requested a 5,000 lb sticker but was denied stating Honda no longer issues them. I have the Honda tow hitch and oil transmission cooler, yet somehow Honda will not provide a 5,000 lb sticker? Can anyone confirm this? I purchased the trans cooler so, I could tow 5,000 lbs, now they won't provide the sticker?:mad:

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
It looks like that was what your dealer told you. If you want to be sure you need to ask Honda, not a dealer about that. I asked Honda something about warranty, and did not hear back till about two weeks later, albeit very vague. If that's what Honda says then they don't want the liability after so many years, so just lower the rating. Sorry this may not be what you want to hear.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I was just getting ready to get a hitch and have the dealer do the cooler for warranty purposes because I want the 5k capacity!I hope they don’t pull that with me!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was just getting ready to get a hitch and have the dealer do the cooler for warranty purposes because I want the 5k capacity!I hope they don’t pull that with me!
Please let me know. I'm going to see if I can order the sticker online from a Honda Parts website and see what they say. I also sent a message to Honda, to get clarification.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Stickers came with the OEM Honda transmission cooler kit when mine was installed. Dealer doesn’t know what they are talking about. AWD+ATF cooler=5,000 towing ability.

Reactions: Aviator6

·
Registered
18 Posts
I negotiated a hitch and transmission cooler installation when I purchased our Pilot in 2017. The dealer installed the hitch and transmission cooler and slapped on the 3500# sticker. A day later when I checked out their work, I noticed the incorrect sticker and called my salesman. They ordered the 5000# sticker from Honda and mailed it to me about a month later. Keep after the dealer to get it right!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I negotiated a hitch and transmission cooler installation when I purchased our Pilot in 2017. The dealer installed the hitch and transmission cooler and slapped on the 3500# sticker. A day later when I checked out their work, I noticed the incorrect sticker and called my salesman. They ordered the 5000# sticker from Honda and mailed it to me about a month later. Keep after the dealer to get it right!
I had the exact same experience with my 2017. Except when the dealership offered to mail the sticker when it came in, I instead had them open up a cooler in stock and give me the 5000 sticker from it. Then they can keep the one in the mail for the open box cooler.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EX-L AWD, 265-60-18 Defender LTX M/S
522 Posts
It's also just the sticker. You have an AWD with cooler installed = 5,000lbs capacity. Keep all your paperwork for the hitch change in case you sell it and next owner is concerned. Are you loaning it out for other people to tow stuff with?

If you throw some turbo and type-R stickers on it, it's not going to be any faster or handle better either. :LOL: Now if you add the glue on hood scoop and stick on fender vents...........

·
Registered
4 Posts
Like Sequoiasoon says, a sticker, is just that, a sticker. Is there some sort of DOT inspection you are concerned about?
The Pilot specs for 2016- years clearly list 3500lbs, up to 5000lbs for AWD models with ATF cooler. A car manufacturer can't just retroactively change a spec for a previously released vehicle. Doing so, (towing capacity for example of a vehicle) would have potentially large legal ramifications....recalls and more.

·
Registered
26 Posts
A sticker in a resale situation is helpful. I'd also prefer the right sticker to give me peace of mind in case a know-it-all officer of the law is having a bad day.
Why wouldn't you have the correct sticker given the choice?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
208 Posts
Like Sequoiasoon says, a sticker, is just that, a sticker. Is there some sort of DOT inspection you are concerned about?
The Pilot specs for 2016- years clearly list 3500lbs, up to 5000lbs for AWD models with ATF cooler. A car manufacturer can't just retroactively change a spec for a previously released vehicle. Doing so, (towing capacity for example of a vehicle) would have potentially large legal ramifications....recalls and more.
If you are pulled over while pulling a trailer and the officer checks the weight rating on the sticker, your license will be suspended if you're towing above what the rating on the DOT Sticker shows. On a highway a DOT Trooper can pull you over just to verify everything to make sure you're safely transporting. I just went through a CDL Class B testing and licensing and this was all covered in that for normal driving (Not Class B).

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,039 Posts
If you are pulled over while pulling a trailer and the officer checks the weight rating on the sticker, your license will be suspended if you're towing above what the rating on the DOT Sticker shows. On a highway a DOT Trooper can pull you over just to verify everything to make sure you're safely transporting. I just went through a CDL Class B testing and licensing and this was all covered in that for normal driving (Not Class B).
The chances of being pulled over as a private not for hire vehicle like a Pilot by a state DOT in any state are minimal to zero. They are more interested in tractor trailers and hotshot types who lack a CDL license yet drive vehicles capable of exceeding 26,000lbs, transport hazardous materials or carry more than 16 people.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So the dealer put it in writing after contacting Honda directly, that Honda no longer provides the 5,000 lb tow rating sticker. So that's that. Right now I have no sticker because I removed the 3500 sticker.

·
Registered
208 Posts
The chances of being pulled over as a private not for hire vehicle like a Pilot by a state DOT in any state are minimal to zero. They are more interested in tractor trailers and hotshot types who lack a CDL license yet drive vehicles capable of exceeding 26,000lbs, transport hazardous materials or carry more than 16 people.
I've been pulled over twice. Once because of my Grill, and once while trailering a Deck Boat from TN to PA.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Anybody know what the 5000 lb sticker part number is? I just bought a used 2016 Pilot with a 3500 lb sticker on the hitch. Took it to Honda to get the transmission cooler installed only to find out it already had one (I looked but did not see it). Would really like the correct sticker on the hitch.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I just had the dealer install a transmission cooler on our 2018 EX-L Pilot. The service advisor gave me the 5000 lb sticker when I picked up the car today. If you have the dealer service your Pilot, ask them for a sticker. BTW, if you use a WDH on your camper, that bumps up the 3500 hitch rating by quite a bit, I think to 6000 lbs with 600 tongue weight. That's over the Pilot rating anyway.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm guessing it is this P/N: 87553-RLX-A00

It lists for $3.40 USD at the dealer, $2.41 USD online. Maybe go to a different dealer and ask them to order it for you. I'm guessing Honda could be concerned that some people order just the sticker and put it on the SUV without adding the cooler, and then they would have to deal with warranty issues when the transmission is cooked by hauling 5000#.

Good luck.

·
Registered
259 Posts
So the dealer put it in writing after contacting Honda directly, that Honda no longer provides the 5,000 lb tow rating sticker. So that's that. Right now I have no sticker because I removed the 3500 sticker.
View attachment 132257
I'm willing to bet that they didn't contact Honda. They probably didn't even do anything, other than type that up for you to get you off their back. Sad that this kind of stuff happens but it does, A LOT.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I had the 5000# package installed last fall by my dealer

I guess because it came as a package kit with all of the 5000# parts in one box, the hitch itself already had a 5000# sticker on it, but there was another sticker by itself on wax paper included in the box with the drawbar, ball, drawbar pin and locking pin they threw in as a freebie bonus (with a Honda PN sticker on it, so it came from Honda as part of the package and not a bonus from the dealer). So they do 'have' stickers, just not sure how to get one. Although I have an extra...

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just installed the Honda ATF Cooler Kit 06255-RLX-306, and it included tags for the increased trailer weight limit of
5000 lbs. Here is the bag with the tag, maybe those numbers will help Honda find it for you.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts