Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

101 - 120 of 261 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Interesting different statement from Honda's Twitter feed...

‏@TheRakker

@honda does the 2016 pilot have Apple Carplay available?
12:30 PM - 21 Aug 2015

Reply to @TheRakker
Replies
Honda
9h9 hours ago
Honda ‏@Honda
"@TheRakker Hi Greg! We will be deploying Apple CarPlay & Android Auto broadly across the line-up. More information will follow."

That's the first time they did not say, "It won't be available." I was about to go in another direction. Now I'm inclined to see what happens if they don't take too long.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
374 Posts
Yep, they've never say with 100% certainty that the 2016 pilots will not get CarPlay. They only say it will not be compatible with previous models (2015 YM) and that an announcement will be out soon.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yep, they've never say with 100% certainty that the 2016 pilots will not get CarPlay. They only say it will not be compatible with previous models (2015 YM) and that an announcement will be out soon.
Yup, coz if Honda does confirm that the 2016 Pilots are NOT going to get CarPlay or Android Auto, a lot of prospective buyers will hold off their purchases.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I really hope so, but I felt if they know for sure they are going to support it on the Pilot, why not make it more obvious? Wouldn't that help the sales?
So maybe they can not/will not make it compatible that's why they still dont want to give an sure answer.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I bet it is...they are just waiting to make the mass announcement and develop the mechanism to upgrade what's currently on the road.

If they made the announcement now and didn't work out a way to upgrade it yet, they would get even more complaints. I'm sure it will be an over the air HondaLink update like some of us got when we first picked up our Pilots.

·
Registered
36 Posts
This is ridiculous at this point. Either it's backwards compatible or its not. They need to state definitively.
We should remember they did definitively state the 2016 would not support CarPlay on Twitter more than once. Issue is now they are either walking it back or tweeting more opaque responses which do not box them in, in either direction. I am not confident the staff who control the Twitter feed actually know.

I must admit, I find it odd that Apple would allow CarPlay to run on an Android-based system like the Pilot. But, I have now read the 2016 Accord is also Android-based and there is a formal announcent about CarPlay for it. Go figure.

Until I see an identical formal announcent for the Pilot, I will assume its absence means no support. Silly for them to release a newly redesigned top of the line Honda and not support CarPlay, if this is the case.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Wish I was more versed in android programming because they have posted both the Pilots and Accords bootloader as well as the rest of the infotainment system at Clarion. Wondering if we could compare the two to see what makes CarPlay work on the accord.
Maybe we should start a gofundme campaign and hire an android programmer

·
Registered
374 Posts
Basically CarPlay just takes over the screen and other controls in the car so you can use them to control your iPhone. It can really run on any OS like Android, QNX, or even iOS plus others. All Honda needs to do is enable the proper communication between the Pilot's system and the iPhone and from what I've seen it will just be like another app running on the Pilot's screen. Connect your phone and open that app then CarPlay or Android Auto will take over the interface.

I think the interface for the Pilot was not ready when they were building the Pilot's earlier in the year. The Accord builds started later and by that time they probably worked out all the bugs, so the Accord shipped with it activated. Since they are now being really vague about what 2016 models will have and not giving us a definite NO anymore, there is a chance the 2016 Pilot could get a software update to allow booth work.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Since Honda can't even tell us how to add apps to our Android Head Units, can you really expect them to be "more forthcoming" on Car Play?

I had the BT on my '12 EX-L/Nav start doing "weird things" when I upgraded to an iPhone 6+. Dropping BT in and out in the middle of calls, etc (streaming worked fine).

Apple: Maybe you need to upgrade your car?
Me: You mean, I have to get a NEW CAR, every time I get a NEW IPHONE?

The can got kicked back and forth between Honda and Apple for months - finally, I took Apples advice and just upgrade the car.

Works fine now...

Rick

·
Registered
36 Posts
Anyone know how much storage and ram is in the 2016 Accord head unit? I saw a YouTube video of the Pilot 2016 developer screens which showed a total of 741mb available and 622mb remaining, which is pretty light. It would suspect Garmin maps are taking up a good chunk of space elsewhere. Does the Accord ship with Garmin? Perhaps an exclusive deal with Garmin on the Pilot which would preclude CarPlay and Android Auto, because of their maps? (I'll take Garmin or TomTom any day over Apple and Google maps for pure navigation; traffic accuracy is different,as I prefer Waze).

Anyone know how heavy the CarPlay app is? I think we need to see the developer screens of both vehicles to give us an idea of how similar they may be.

There is a reason that Honda produced a video announcing CarPlay in the Acccord but did not produce a video showing the same with the Pilot. Both conscious choices. My guess is the units are a bit different and if the Pilot gets CarPlay and Android Auto, it is only because they shoehorn it in after the fact as a result of customer demand.

Here is the developer screens YouTube video:
https://youtu.be/y-C1odfr0vU

·
Registered
149 Posts
I would think CarPlay and android auto should not take too much storage, since they are still pulling all information from your phone. One possibility is they partition the hard drive/flash drive, so they have a different storage section for firmware update. Another possibility is Honda's R&D is just not very tech advance and organized, which explain why all these cars have different UI/UX. So I will not keep my hopes up on CarPlay update in 2016 pilot.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
337 Posts
Basically CarPlay just takes over the screen and other controls in the car so you can use them to control your iPhone. It can really run on any OS like Android, QNX, or even iOS plus others. All Honda needs to do is enable the proper communication between the Pilot's system and the iPhone and from what I've seen it will just be like another app running on the Pilot's screen. Connect your phone and open that app then CarPlay or Android Auto will take over the interface.

I think the interface for the Pilot was not ready when they were building the Pilot's earlier in the year. The Accord builds started later and by that time they probably worked out all the bugs, so the Accord shipped with it activated. Since they are now being really vague about what 2016 models will have and not giving us a definite NO anymore, there is a chance the 2016 Pilot could get a software update to allow booth work.
CarPlay is still a software. Software stil needs to be recoded for certain platform. It's not a cut and paste sort to say. CarPlay isn't mirroring and app software still required to be recoded to be installed on CarPlay. For people like myself who likes Google maps will be disappointed that you can only use Apple maps. There's multiple answers on Twitter from Honda that CarPlay will not be on the 2016 pilot.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Well sh*t. I guess I'm eating my own words. The 2016 accord are running on android. Honda released the owners manual for the 2016 accords. The app drawer looks exactly like what's on the pilot. Maybe when it's release I can swing by and download the files from the accord.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I am curious to see if CarPlay is an apk, like Aha, or sits on its own partition. Apple Music will shortly be released on Android, so an apk would not be out of the question. If yes, as long as the processor, ram and storage are similar across both vehicles, adding CarPlay and Android Auto should be trivial.

·
Registered
36 Posts
And confirming Accord nav OS has Garmin! (Tried to upload screen capture from nav manual but my Safari and Chrome iPad browsers keep crashing when I try to attach the screen shot.)

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
Here's what I think happened...

I think Honda intended to roll out CarPlay with the new Pilot. This would have certainly been a more exciting corporate CarPlay roll-out than an Accord mid-cycle update. However, I think their schedules slipped and they weren't able to get the new android system in a solid-enough position to flip the switch for CarPlay.

Rather than delay the Pilot, they made the smart decision to ditch CarPlay and get it right on the Accord several months later.

My guess is that Honda will be updating the Pilot OS in the future. How else to address inevitable OS security issues that will pop up on Android (and all other mobile OSes)?Heaven knows that the infotainment system seems "not-quite-ready for prime time" in other ways as well (see other threads).

Will the next update for the Pilot Android OS enable CarPlay? No way for us to know. It's possible they are decided to never look back on that decision and will never turn it on.

But I think there's s pretty good chance we'll see CarPlay in the first few OS updates.

101 - 120 of 261 Posts