Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. First time Honda owner. So bought a used 2016 EXL with 75k miles at a non Honda dealer (newest car I have ever owned). After a week with it we have noticed a studder on the 2-3 shift. Seems like the the TSB for the fluid overheating would apply. My concern is that according to the car fax (one owner car always serviced at a local Honda dealer) the Transmission was flushed at 45k miles. Having the same issue less then 40k miles later is a bit disconcerting. I'm dropping it at the dealer I bought it from on Monday. But I'm wondering if this is really heat related if maybe I should add a ATF cooler even thou I only tow a 1000 lbs utility trailer and 1500 lbs boat? Also any one else experience the issue coming back after the TSB was performed?

I have to tell you this is not leaving me the warm fuzzies, I have owned some cars notorious for transmission problems, but have never actually had an issue with them. (2001 Volvo XC70, 2000 Dodge Durango, 1999 Plymouth Minivan, actually more Mopar 4speed autos then I dare count really) . We had originally wanted to get a Durango or GMC acadia, but my wife loved the space in the Pilot and her coworkers (she works for an automotive company) said the reliability would be great. I'm really a Mopar and Toyota guy, but family with Hondas had good luck so I'm hopeful (my dad had CRX with well over 200k miles on it)

Also While looking thru the car fax I noticed the Fuel injectors were swapped about a year ago, I gather this is a common issue, but wondering if anyone has seen that issue crop back up after a repair?

Thanks any by the way looks like a great forum.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Hello everyone. First time Honda owner. So bought a used 2016 EXL with 75k miles at a non Honda dealer (newest car I have ever owned). After a week with it we have noticed a studder on the 2-3 shift. Seems like the the TSB for the fluid overheating would apply. My concern is that according to the car fax (one owner car always serviced at a local Honda dealer) the Transmission was flushed at 45k miles. Having the same issue less then 40k miles later is a bit disconcerting. I'm dropping it at the dealer I bought it from on Monday. But I'm wondering if this is really heat related if maybe I should add a ATF cooler even thou I only tow a 1000 lbs utility trailer and 1500 lbs boat? Also any one else experience the issue coming back after the TSB was performed?

I have to tell you this is not leaving me the warm fuzzies, I have owned some cars notorious for transmission problems, but have never actually had an issue with them. (2001 Volvo XC70, 2000 Dodge Durango, 1999 Plymouth Minivan, actually more Mopar 4speed autos then I dare count really) . We had originally wanted to get a Durango or GMC acadia, but my wife loved the space in the Pilot and her coworkers (she works for an automotive company) said the reliability would be great. I'm really a Mopar and Toyota guy, but family with Hondas had good luck so I'm hopeful (my dad had CRX with well over 200k miles on it)

Also While looking thru the car fax I noticed the Fuel injectors were swapped about a year ago, I gather this is a common issue, but wondering if anyone has seen that issue crop back up after a repair?

For the injectors, I don't think anyone has had recurring issues with the updated part numbers.

For the transmission, fresh fluid will hopefully cure any weird behavior. Big debates on what fluid to use, but any fresh fluid is better than burnt up fluid for sure.

For the vehicle choice, none of them seem to be all that great as used vehicles. The Durango and the Lambdas (Traverse, Enclave, Acadia) both have plenty of issues. Buy what you like and pray for the best.

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Change the ATF often and disable the VCM.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Change the ATF often and disable the VCM.
I’m not sure the verdict is out yet on the VCM of 3rd gens. I don’t think I’ve see anyone have an issue yet related to VCM in the 5 years (this week) the car has been on the market.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I’m not sure the verdict is out yet on the VCM of 3rd gens. I don’t think I’ve see anyone have an issue yet related to VCM in the 5 years (this week) the car has been on the market.
After the ATF change to MaxLife, the gear slipping improved. The small flairs were then limited to just an eratic behaving RPM gauge, most noticeable while in cruise. That erratic behavior ended when I installed S-VCM. I have my verdict. I'm going to be trying the higher viscosity (180) of Amalie Universal Synthetic in the next few weeks to see if it can make for smoother shifting without any flairs. My hopes are high.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Maybe I’ve never noticed because I don’t use the cruise control but I am going on a trip next week down to Florida from New York so I’ll try the cruise control and keep my eyes on the RPM gauge.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm going to be trying the higher viscosity (180) of Amalie Universal Synthetic in the next few weeks to see if it can make for smoother shifting without any flairs. My hopes are high.
I am really interested in how this higher vis fluid works out for you. Please let us know.

·
Registered
76 Posts
In a warm state hv vs lv isn't normally an issue. Once temps fall below around 10 degrees, problems start in a trans designed for lv running hv. At around -20 the trans normally won't work until the engine runs long enough to warm up the fluid.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
In a warm state hv vs lv isn't normally an issue. Once temps fall below around 10 degrees, problems start in a trans designed for lv running hv. At around -20 the trans normally won't work until the engine runs long enough to warm up the fluid.
I'm looking for smoother shifting with a higher viscosity full synthetic ATF. MaxLife is working on this 6-speed pilot, but it hangs on just a little longer between gears than I would like. The down shifts are more pronounced.

·
Registered
76 Posts
In it's simplest definition viscosity is the resistance of a liquid to flow. There is a reason engineering specs a lv or hv fluid. The shift is both smoother and takes longer because hv fluid moves slower then lv fluid, it's harder to pump. This can be witnessed by logging input vs output vs slip ratio of the trans. The hv fluid in this case causes more slipping during shifting, it also effects torque converter function. Ideally you want the shift to happen as fast as possible, but that makes it harsh, so they have to slow it down enough to make it acceptable to the customer. Will your hv fluid kill the trans, no, but the longer and slower the shift, the quicker the clutches wear. At -20 degrees hv in a lv trans will make the trans inoperable until the fluid warms up, seen it many times here.

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
So bought a used 2016 EXL with 75k miles at a non Honda dealer (newest car I have ever owned). After a week with it we have noticed a studder on the 2-3 shift. Seems like the the TSB for the fluid overheating would apply. My concern is that according to the car fax (one owner car always serviced at a local Honda dealer) the Transmission was flushed at 45k miles. Having the same issue less then 40k miles later is a bit disconcerting. I'm dropping it at the dealer I bought it from on Monday. But I'm wondering if this is really heat related if maybe I should add a ATF cooler even thou I only tow a 1000 lbs utility trailer and 1500 lbs boat?
Is your Pilot 2WD or 4WD?

Before the maintenance minder was introduced (and the Pilot had a 5-speed transmission), the schedule for transmission fluid changes - drain and refill, not flush - was every 30K miles, if you used the vehicle for towing.
So, the first step would be a transmission fluid service.

An ATF cooler is/was a dealer-installed accessory.
The following link is for the ATF cooler installation instructions which show the location of the cooler, so you can check to see if one was installed. If not, getting it is likely to be worthwhile.
https://www.collegehillshonda.com/instructions/pilot/2016/rlxcooler.pdf
ATF Cooler Kit (6-Speed AWD)

·
Registered
19 Posts

I'm no expert in technical issues. I own a 2016 Honda Pilot. I had the fuel injectors issue show up after 3.5 years of owing at 52,500 miles. I had to pay $1300 for fuel injector failure and immediately bought extended warranty(for $1528) from the Honda dealer. The new generation Pilots are notorious of so many issues if you see various forums. Yes, I bought Pilot because of big interior space even though I'm a big fan of Toyota. Bigger and spacious interior, and stylish look does not mean big quality. To better have some peace of mind, I recommend you buy an extended warranty immediately.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm no expert in technical issues. I own a 2016 Honda Pilot. I had the fuel injectors issue show up after 3.5 years of owing at 52,500 miles. I had to pay $1300 for fuel injector failure and immediately bought extended warranty(for $1528) from the Honda dealer. The new generation Pilots are notorious of so many issues if you see various forums. Yes, I bought Pilot because of big interior space even though I'm a big fan of Toyota. Bigger and spacious interior, and stylish look does not mean big quality. To better have some peace of mind, I recommend you buy an extended warranty immediately.
While that may give you some peace of mind, it won't give you a free pass.

I had extended warranties on all my 35+ years of Honda vehicles and I can only remember 2 instances where the dealer voluntarily covered the repair(s). I had to fight hard pretty much every single time to get coverage on non-wear items, most times unsuccessfully. YMMV of course. Extended warranties are worthless imo based on my experiences.

·
Registered
19 Posts

I had extended warranties on all my 35+ years of Honda vehicles and I can only remember 2 instances where the dealer voluntarily covered the repair(s). I had to fight hard pretty much every single time to get coverage on non-wear items, most times unsuccessfully. YMMV of course. Extended warranties are worthless imo based on my experiences.
I don't fully agree with you based on my previous experience with 2005 Honda Odyssey. This Odyssey is probably the worst ever automobile manufactured in Honda's history. I had to spend around $8000 in 4.5 to 5 years of ownership(I bought it used when it had 42000 miles) in repairs. I had to change Engine(motor) mounts 3 times under 5 years. Several parts needed repairs. Luckily around $6000 to $6500 was covered by my extended warranty. At around 103K miles, I couldn't tolerate it anymore and sold it.
I owned 1997 Honda Civic, 2003 Honda Odyssey, 2005 Honda Odyssey and 2016 Honda Pilot.

Only 2003 Honda Odyssey had least repairs - just 1 repair under $100 for sliding door. The rest of the Hondas squeezed my money on repairs. Finally after going through several forums to see issues about Honda cars, I observed the following facts(yes, facts) about Honda.

1. Honda cars need more maintenance. Even many die hard fans wrote this statement
2. The price of Honda parts is more expensive than a comparable Toyota or other car. Even technicians at dealership confirmed this several times when I had the repairs getting done.
3. The frequency of occurrence of repairs is more in Honda cars than a comparable Toyota or other car.

I observed all the 3 above facts myself

·
Registered
457 Posts

I noticed your are in Canada, but people have had really positive experiences with HondaCare at least in the US. I've never heard anyone say anything positive about third party extended warranties.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I don't fully agree with you based on my previous experience with 2005 Honda Odyssey. This Odyssey is probably the worst ever automobile manufactured in Honda's history. I had to spend around $8000 in 4.5 to 5 years of ownership(I bought it used when it had 42000 miles) in repairs. I had to change Engine(motor) mounts 3 times under 5 years. Several parts needed repairs. Luckily around $6000 to $6500 was covered by my extended warranty. At around 103K miles, I couldn't tolerate it anymore and sold it.
I owned 1997 Honda Civic, 2003 Honda Odyssey, 2005 Honda Odyssey and 2016 Honda Pilot.

Only 2003 Honda Odyssey had least repairs - just 1 repair under $100 for sliding door. The rest of the Hondas squeezed my money on repairs. Finally after going through several forums to see issues about Honda cars, I observed the following facts(yes, facts) about Honda.

1. Honda cars need more maintenance. Even many die hard fans wrote this statement
2. The price of Honda parts is more expensive than a comparable Toyota or other car. Even technicians at dealership confirmed this several times when I had the repairs getting done.
3. The frequency of occurrence of repairs is more in Honda cars than a comparable Toyota or other car.

I observed all the 3 above facts myself

I think we're agreeing with each other lol.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I noticed your are in Canada, but people have had really positive experiences with HondaCare at least in the US. I've never heard anyone say anything positive about third party extended warranties.
Even when we voluntarily pay extra for the privilege of owning a Honda, they still find a way to screw us lol.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I'm looking for smoother shifting with a higher viscosity full synthetic ATF. MaxLife is working on this 6-speed pilot, but it hangs on just a little longer between gears than I would like. The down shifts are more pronounced.
Good, bad , or Indifferent. BITOG had a bunch of members that did the Maxlife with a bottle Lubegard and were happy as it changed just enough on VI and added some protection. I haven't really heard many bad things on Lubegard and did see TSB's from some other manufacturer's to use it to fix (or maybe just hide) shifting issues. They have a chart on their website saying what to use.

For the OP and tranny cooler. Anytime you can help keep the fluid cool will help the life.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts