Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
30 Posts
I spoke to Costco and they recommended against BF Goodrich calling it a cheap tire. The reviews online seem to be pretty good.He suggested Bridgestone ECOPIA. I couldnt find much reviews on this tire
BF Goodrich is part of the Michelin family. Same as Bridgestone/Firestone. A lot of the name brand tires are intermingled between brand names.
Also remember Costco tires major brands are only built for them. If you want a real name brand tire go to tire rack.

·
Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
30 Posts
I agree, I worked in the tire department at Sams and we sold BF Goodrich Advantage Plus tires. Sidewalls were very soft and flexible compared to a Michelin for example. You can’t go wrong with Michelin.
The only issue I have with Michelin is sidewall cracking. If you do not put a lot of miles on your car the sidewall cracks up before you wear out the tread. Been out of the tire business now for ten years, so maybe not anymore.

·
Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
30 Posts
BF Goodrich is part of the Michelin family. Same as Bridgestone/Firestone. A lot of the name brand tires are intermingled between brand names.
Also remember Costco tires major brands are only built for them. If you want a real name brand tire go to tire rack.
I must take back my statement. Canadian Tire tires are only built for them. We sold Conti and General, and if a customer came looking to replace one, we could not supply it. We were not able to get them, as they were built for Canadian Tire.. I am not sure about Costco.
Sorry if I spread bad information.

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
The only issue I have with Michelin is sidewall cracking. If you do not put a lot of miles on your car the sidewall cracks up before you wear out the tread. Been out of the tire business now for ten years, so maybe not anymore.
The most recent set of Michelin tires I had developed cracks not in the sidewalls, but down at the base of the grooves in between the blocks/ribs.
The sidewalls still looked fine and there was plenty of tread depth remaining.

·
Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
30 Posts
The most recent set of Michelin tires I had developed cracks not in the sidewalls, but down at the base of the grooves in between the blocks/ribs.
The sidewalls still looked fine and there was plenty of tread depth remaining.
Yes seen that also. Sent many back for warranty. Pro rated, Michelin was always very good with warranty issues.
See if the dealer will warranty them, can not hurt to try.

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Yes seen that also. Sent many back for warranty. Pro rated, Michelin was always very good with warranty issues.
See if the dealer will warranty them, can not hurt to try.
I asked, but I was beyond the 6-year limit of the warranty.
So, after about 30 years of buying mostly Michelin tires, I bought a set of Toyo tires as a replacement.

·
Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
30 Posts
I asked, but I was beyond the 6-year limit of the warranty.
So, after about 30 years of buying mostly Michelin tires, I bought a set of Toyo tires as a replacement.
Toyo are a well built, good mileage tire.
Covering a pro-rated tire for up to six years is a decent warranty though, better than the two years on my bike. lol

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Thank you for this comment.
This is one reason I look for a highly rated 60k mile tire that cost less (1/2) than a Mich tire (or any other). Depending on milage, replace every 2-3 years. I don't like old rubber on hot pavement.

Reactions: Highspeedbail
41 - 49 of 49 Posts