Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Soft sidewalls are indicative of a "Touring" All Season tire. Designed for comfort. The Michelin Premier LTX is a touring tire with a softer sidewall. Then yes, if you want a tire more for a light truck, then you will have a stiffer sidewall, like the Michelin Defender All Season (not a touring tire) which is not available in the OPs size. If I were looking for a stiffer sidewall for a 20 inch rim, I'd look in the High Performance category. Like the Goodyear Eagle or the Sumitomo HTR AS P02. These are not exactly the best for snow or ice condition, but will certainly satisfy a person's desire for a more spirited drive at highway speeds.
What Michelin tire are you recomending?
According to the TireRack site - which you like to reference - the Michelin Premier LTX is described as "Michelin's Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season light truck tire developed for the drivers of crossovers, sport utility vehicles, light-duty vans and pickup trucks."

Whereas, the Sumitomo HTR A/S P02 - which you like to recommend - is described as "High Performance All-Season radials developed to meet the year-round driving needs of sports car, sporty coupe and performance sedan drivers."
Do you see any mention of that tire being suitable for SUVs?

If you want a "performance" type tire for an SUV/crossover, then look to the Pirelli Scorpion Zero All-Season or the Toyo Proxes ST III.
SCORPION™ ZERO ALL SEASON 245/50R20 | Pirelli
https://www.toyotires.com/product/proxes-st3

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Why do you always argue with everyone about tires? Look at the damn tires yourself and you’ll see the difference. You obviously have no clue what you’re talking about with “softer sidewalls are for touring”.
Yes, touring tires offer a softer ride by haveing a more flexable sidewall.
You seem upset for some reason. I asked a simple question. Peace. ✌

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
According to the TireRack site - which you like to reference - the Michelin Premier LTX is described as "Michelin's Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season light truck tire developed for the drivers of crossovers, sport utility vehicles, light-duty vans and pickup trucks."
I don't believe I contradicted what you've said about this particular Michelin tire? It is a cushy touring tire with not the best, but decent reviews.
Whereas, the Sumitomo HTR A/S P02 - which you like to recommend - is described as "High Performance All-Season radials developed to meet the year-round driving needs of sports car, sporty coupe and performance sedan drivers."
Do you see any mention of that tire being suitable for SUVs?
I'm ok with your criticism. The 4200LB Pilot rides quite nice on the Sumitomo HTR AS P02. I chose this tire for its max inflation value and still has a standard load rating (SL). There are not very many choices that rated as high as this tire and had these specs. I drive loaded 80% of the time. I have performance.
If you want a "performance" type tire for an SUV/crossover, then look to the Pirelli Scorpion Zero All-Season or the Toyo Proxes ST III.
SCORPION™ ZERO ALL SEASON 245/50R20 | Pirelli
https://www.toyotires.com/product/proxes-st3
Pirelli Scorpion Zero AS cost $150 more per tire, than I paid for my Sumitomos, lower UTQG and is a sport truck street tire.
The Toyo Proxes ST III is a 40k mile sport truck street tire that cost $300 more than I paid for my set.
Neither of these you list are considered High Performance and certainly not your daily driver kind of tire.

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Pirelli Scorpion Zero AS cost $150 more per tire, than I paid for my Sumitomos, lower UTQG and is a sport truck street tire.
The Toyo Proxes ST III is a 40k mile sport truck street tire that cost $300 more than I paid for my set.
Neither of these you list are considered High Performance and certainly not your daily driver kind of tire.
On what basis did you conclude that neither the Pirelli nor the Toyo tire are "high performance" tires?

According to TireRack tests, there are tires with better performance than that of the Sumitomo tire you keep pushing.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=221

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
On what basis did you conclude that neither the Pirelli nor the Toyo tire are "high performance" tires?

According to TireRack tests, there are tires with better performance than that of the Sumitomo tire you keep pushing.
Your not getting it apparently.
I have high speed performance, I got better load range, I got value in price, I got 65k mile warranty.
This tire checks all my boxes. There are many who are putting this tire on their SUVs.

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Your not getting it apparently.
I have high speed performance, I got better load range, I got value in price, I got 65k mile warranty.
This tire checks all my boxes. There are many who are putting this tire on their SUVs.
You're not answering the question as to how you concluded that neither the Pirelli nor the Toyo tire are "high performance" tires.

Besides yourself, where are all of the " many" [Pilot owners] who are putting the Sumitomo HTR A/S P02 on their SUVs?
Looking at the consumer reviews on the TireRack site for the Sumitomo HTR A/S P02, there is one review from a Pilot owner. Their comment is that the tires are "a little quieter, softer and smoother than the OEM Michelins. Feels like they have more flex, which isn't a bad thing, it's really a matter of driver preference."
Does that sound like the description of the characteristics of a "performance" tire?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I have no bone in this discussion as I prefer AT tires on my "truck" but perhaps @Nail Grease is extracting the maximum performance from our pedestrian Pilot suspension with high performance grade tires that can provide extra stability, durability and control as expressed when tackling winding curves at 70+ mph. I think @Nail Grease experience with high speed maneuvers has some merit over the usual rides nice or rolls quietly down the road reviews.
Since my tire replacement is driven by AGE rather than mileage Sumitomo HTR not normally on my radar, looks interesting for the price and what the tire offers.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
You're not answering the question as to how you concluded that neither the Pirelli nor the Toyo tire are "high performance" tires.
I don't see your above mentioned tires in the All Season High Performance category. Apples and Oranges.

Besides yourself, where are all of the " many" [Pilot owners] who are putting the Sumitomo HTR A/S P02 on their SUVs?
Is the Honda Pilot the only SUV?
I know I'm not the only SUV driver benefiting from this tire.
Looking at the consumer reviews on the TireRack site for the Sumitomo HTR A/S P02, there is one review from a Pilot owner. Their comment is that the tires are "a little quieter, softer and smoother than the OEM Michelins. Feels like they have more flex, which isn't a bad thing, it's really a matter of driver preference."
Does that sound like the description of the characteristics of a "performance" tire?
Sounds like someone under inflated their High Performance tires. But you didn't finish the Pilot owners review.., "They are a good value, costing half as much as the OEM Michelins."

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
I just want to say in this thread that my 1st use of the Sumitomo HTR AS P02 High Performance tire was first and foremost based on trying to find a good tire for the best price. That search took place a little more than 2 1/2 years ago. Based on personal experience with this tire, having burned through a set, getting the miles promissed, and now with an even lower price than when I first bought them, it was an easy choice. In my opinion, the OE Bridgestone tire that came on my 2017 EX-L were inadequate for highway speed driving. Always having to brake to take high speed corners. Braking on an 75mph interstate was something I couldn't accept. One tap from a car behind you, by someone who's not paying attention, will put you in a roll.

I also have no desire to bounce around on a touring tire when the Pilot is loaded.
The OP is considering tires that will cost, after mount and balance, somewhere in the neighborhood of $1000-1400 dollars for a set. Some may have no issues shelling out this kind of dough for tires. I'd say most are more price conscious. It's not that hard for the OP to beat what they are currently driving on with some other low priced options, if they so choose to do so. I will not conceed to giving up on a good quality tire that I have only $500 in after mount and balance. Nor will I be made to feel shame, as if I'm doing something wrong.
If you should happen to see a Black 3rd Gen Pilot whizzing by you in Texas, it might be me driving or me in the passenger seat asleep peacefully while the wife is. 🖐😁

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
585 Posts
I just want to say in this thread that my 1st use of the Sumitomo HTR AS P02 High Performance tire was first and foremost based on trying to find a good tire for the best price. That search took place a little more than 2 1/2 years ago. Based on personal experience with this tire, having burned through a set, getting the miles promissed, and now with an even lower price than when I first bought them, it was an easy choice. In my opinion, the OE Bridgestone tire that came on my 2017 EX-L were inadequate for highway speed driving. Always having to brake to take high speed corners. Braking on an 75mph interstate was something I couldn't accept. One tap from a car behind you, by someone who's not paying attention, will put you in a roll.
View attachment 138317
I also have no desire to bounce around on a touring tire when the Pilot is loaded.
The OP is considering tires that will cost, after mount and balance, somewhere in the neighborhood of $1000-1400 dollars for a set. Some may have no issues shelling out this kind of dough for tires. I'd say most are more price conscious. It's not that hard for the OP to beat what they are currently driving on with some other low priced options, if they so choose to do so. I will not conceed to giving up on a good quality tire that I have only $500 in after mount and balance. Nor will I be made to feel shame, as if I'm doing something wrong.
If you should happen to see a Black 3rd Gen Pilot whizzing by you in Texas, it might be me driving or me in the passenger seat asleep peacefully while the wife is. 🖐😁
Just curious, when you say curve do you mean like windy roads or just a slight bend? I say this jokingly, but it could be since you're one of those crazy Texas drivers, I highly doubt you only go 75 mph. 😜

I've never had to really brake going into a curve/bend on an interstate in any car I've ever driven. I've taken my foot off the gas, but thats it. My cars aren't typically loaded to max capacity so I don't know if that makes a difference.

Either way, glad you found affordable tires you like. I will stick to recommending tires I've had good experiences with, and I hope you do the same. I think people get irritated tires aren't a one size fits all kind of thing and Pilots aren't exactly known for agility so most people don't care to have high performance tires on their Pilots. It's an SUV with not so powerful V6 engine. It's heavy and overall pretty sluggish. But that's ok.

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
If you owned a shoe store, you'd carry only one style of shoe, made by one manufacturer, and then try to convince all of your customers that it was the perfect shoe for every one of them.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Just curious, when you say curve do you mean like windy roads or just a slight bend? I say this jokingly, but it could be since you're one of those crazy Texas drivers, I highly doubt you only go 75 mph. 😜

I've never had to really brake going into a curve/bend on an interstate in any car I've ever driven. I've taken my foot off the gas, but thats it. My cars aren't typically loaded to max capacity so I don't know if that makes a difference.

Either way, glad you found affordable tires you like. I will stick to recommending tires I've had good experiences with, and I hope you do the same. I think people get irritated tires aren't a one size fits all kind of thing and Pilots aren't exactly known for agility so most people don't care to have high performance tires on their Pilots. It's an SUV with not so powerful V6 engine. It's heavy and overall pretty sluggish. But that's ok.
As with any highway, you will have a posted warning sign of a curve, bend, sweeping turn. Under normal conditions, a vehicle should be able to comfortably slow to that speed, make the slight turn without your knuckles turning white. This vehicle could not hold the line in a curve at posted speeds because of the squishy OE touring tire that came with this vehicle.
No, I'm not the fastest guy on the road. Yes, having a load does make a difference.
The Pilot is not fast off the line, but never discredit it for highway speed driving. I have no issues passing or lack power on the top end. I'm especially pleased with the disabled VCM. No hesitation. With a High Performance tire this vehicle is agile and very responsive for a 4200lb vehicle. The ability is there if you want it to be. The down side is I'll be buying tires within 3 years, but fresh rubber allows me to keep driving 75mph. 😁

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
If you owned a shoe store, you'd carry only one style of shoe, made by one manufacturer, and then try to convince all of your customers that it was the perfect shoe for every one of them.
I'm pretty sure I haven't made the one size fits all impression. But if your on a budget, I believe a new set of Sumitomo HTR AS P02 tires will out perform in snow and ice compared to your worn out tires you drove on and survied on last winter. The point is, for some, going into debt for a set of tires isn't in the budget. If the other 9 months out of the year are snow and ice free. You really made a good choice.
Yes, do your research.

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
hi guys,,i am planning to go with the BF goodrich tire...Its on Sale at Costco... Let me know if this is a wise decision :) Hopefully its good in snow
According to the tests performed by TireRack, they call the BFG tire "a solid option that performs well in winter driving conditions. "
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=229
Also, that tire has the three-peak mountain snowflake (3PMSF) symbol.
https://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=125

21 - 40 of 49 Posts