Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have to replace the tires for my 2016 Pilot Touring. I live in Pittsburgh.They are 20". Any recommendations for all season tires? I would like to get it from Costco if possbile.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
The best rated tire right now in your size is the pricey Goodyear Assurance Weatherready ($243 on Tirerack.com).
There are lower priced tires out there if your on a budget.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Any recommendations for all season tires? I would like to get it from Costco if possbile
If your preference is Costco they usually have good tire staff, service and the tire rebate installation discount. Limitations are tire choices but sometimes that can make it easier for some people. Can’t go wrong with the Michelin LTX or Primacy but there are more budget friendly BFG which I am not a fan

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
If your preference is Costco they usually have good tire staff, service and the tire rebate installation discount. Limitations are tire choices but sometimes that can make it easier for some people. Can’t go wrong with the Michelin LTX or Primacy but there are more budget friendly BFG which I am not a fan
Have you had experience with the BF Goodrich tire? They are a little less in price. I almost bought a set but seems something else drew me away.

·
Registered
6,131 Posts
Hello, I have to replace the tires for my 2016 Pilot Touring. I live in Pittsburgh.They are 20". Any recommendations for all season tires? I would like to get it from Costco if possbile.
From among the tires sold by Costco, and given that you're in the snowbelt, the BFGoodrich Advantage T/A Sport LT would be the best choice.
Advantage T/A® Sport LT

Consumer ratings for that tire on the TireRack site are extremely positive.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=CSTAS&width=245/&ratio=50&diameter=20&tireSearch=true&filter=y&autoMake=Honda&autoYear=2016&autoModel=Pilot+AWD&autoModClar=Touring

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Have you had experience with the BF Goodrich tire? They are a little less in price. I almost bought a set but seems something else drew me away.
Running BFG KO2s on my JK now and they are great off road. Had the BFG T/A touring from Costco on the Pilot several years ago and they were slippery in wet conditions but that was years ago. Perhaps they have improved but the Costco price is always much less than the Michelins.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Thanks

Costco selection is fairly limited and they require you to use the exact size on the door trim.

Looks like Bridgestone Driveguard are on sale through the end of the month. They are the only run flats that I see on their site but the winter rating isn't good.

Do you have separate winter tires/rims?

The knock on the Michelin's is really only around treadwear. You may want to review and understand the treadwear warranty with those if you go in that direction.

If you go somewhere other than Costco check out the Michelin Defender LTX.... they only come in a slightly larger size in 20 inch...

250-50-20 & 255-55-20
But are highly praised on this site and others.

Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the feedback guys.I am going to call my local costco to see what they have/can order..What about the Continental Cross contact? The car came with them. It has lasted for four years. I dont have seperate winter trim/tires.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Thanks for the feedback guys.I am going to call my local costco to see what they have/can order..What about the Continental Cross contact? The car came with them. It has lasted for four years. I dont have seperate winter trim/tires.
The Continental Cross Contact tires your vehicle came with did not rate very well. ($250 TireRack.com) v

See what Costco says. Let us know what they recommend before you commit. Will see how they rate.

·
Registered
6,131 Posts
If you want Continental tires, look at the CrossContact LX25.
CrossContact LX25 - 245/50 R 20 102H | Continental

Excellent performance in a TireRack test:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=246

In the TireRack consumer surveys, it just edges out the BFG tire mentioned above:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=CSTAS&width=245/&ratio=50&diameter=20&tireSearch=true&filter=y&autoMake=Honda&autoYear=2016&autoModel=Pilot+AWD&autoModClar=Touring

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just put the continental lx25 on my Touring. They're very quiet and wider than the oe continental. Wet or dry is great but haven't driven on snow. I also put continental terrain contact ht on my Ridgeline with 20 inch and that tire is very loud but also great on wet and dry. Both have better wear and temp rating than the oe.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I spoke to Costco and they recommended against BF Goodrich calling it a cheap tire. The reviews online seem to be pretty good.He suggested Bridgestone ECOPIA. I couldnt find much reviews on this tire

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
I spoke to Costco and they recommended against BF Goodrich calling it a cheap tire. The reviews online seem to be pretty good.He suggested Bridgestone ECOPIA. I couldnt find much reviews on this tire
I dunno why he would recommend those. What little you can find, it's not very positive. For $220 a tire, I'd buy one of the other tires mentioned so far. There are lower priced tires that will out perform what your currently driving on.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Here is the ratings for All Season Touring.

·
Registered
6,131 Posts
He suggested Bridgestone ECOPIA. I couldnt find much reviews on this tire
Here's a series of comments posted on the TireRack site by a Jeep Grand Cherokee owner with the Bridgestone Ecopia H/L 422 Plus tires:

"1,000 Miles on Tires
August 30, 2018
So far I am very impressed with these tires. We have been getting a lot of rain and these tires just shrug it off. No signs of hydroplaning and corning pretty much seems the same as dry corning so far. Tires are very quiet and do a good job of muting even noisy roads. Extremely smooth at all speeds. Have not gotten a chance to use them in the snow. Will update the review when the time comes. These tires also seem to live up to the "ecopia" name. MPG has not decreased vs the worn out tires. Which is impressive.

5,000 Miles on Tires (Follow-Up)
November 10, 2018
5,000 miles on these tires now. They are not wearing the best. I believe they came with 11/32 or 10/32 when new. My front tires are at 8/32 and my rears are at 9/32. My rotation is due but that will not help these tires last the full 70K. so far about 1/32 is being used for every 2500 miles. At the current rate of wear they will not even last 20,000 miles. Wet traction when new was amazing and so was the quietness. I have already noticed a decline in wet traction. Road noise (while still fairly quiet) is definitely increasing. Not what I imagined when I bought a 70k tire.
<br><br>SNOW UPDATE:<br><br>Oh boy. I knew these were not gonna be the best tires ive ever had for the snow. But they are far worse than I imagined. These things are terrible in the snow. Absolute garbage. We got less than an inch of snow, and they slid all over. Applying the brake more than 20% of the way resulted in immediate anti-lock brake engagement. Acceleration is only OK because of the Jeep's 4WD. For the first time in 10 years. I am buying different tires for winter.

6,000 Miles on Tires (Follow-Up)
November 24, 2018
6,000 mile update. These tires are not holding up at all. As stated earlier they are wearing out fast and traction continues to degrade. They are terrible in the snow and I would definitely not buy them again. Ride comfort and noise continues to be good though.

6,200 Miles on Tires (Follow-Up)
January 25, 2019
Had to get rid of these tires. Safety hazard in the snow. Spent over $900 on a set of useless garbage tires. Lost almost 50% of tread in just 6,000 miles."

·
Registered
8 Posts
I agree, I worked in the tire department at Sams and we sold BF Goodrich Advantage Plus tires. Sidewalls were very soft and flexible compared to a Michelin for example. You can’t go wrong with Michelin.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
I agree, I worked in the tire department at Sams and we sold BF Goodrich Advantage Plus tires. Sidewalls were very soft and flexible compared to a Michelin for example. You can’t go wrong with Michelin.
Soft sidewalls are indicative of a "Touring" All Season tire. Designed for comfort. The Michelin Premier LTX is a touring tire with a softer sidewall. Then yes, if you want a tire more for a light truck, then you will have a stiffer sidewall, like the Michelin Defender All Season (not a touring tire) which is not available in the OPs size. If I were looking for a stiffer sidewall for a 20 inch rim, I'd look in the High Performance category. Like the Goodyear Eagle or the Sumitomo HTR AS P02. These are not exactly the best for snow or ice condition, but will certainly satisfy a person's desire for a more spirited drive at highway speeds.
What Michelin tire are you recomending?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Soft sidewalls are indicative of a "Touring" All Season tire. Designed for comfort. The Michelin Premier LTX is a touring tire with a softer sidewall. Then yes, if you want a tire more for a light truck, then you will have a stiffer sidewall, like the Michelin Defender All Season (not a touring tire) which is not available in the OPs size. If I were looking for a stiffer sidewall for a 20 inch rim, I'd look in the High Performance category. Like the Goodyear Eagle or the Sumitomo HTR AS P02. These are not exactly the best for snow or ice condition, but will certainly satisfy a person's desire for a more spirited drive at highway speeds.
What Michelin tire are you recomending?
Why do you always argue with everyone about tires? Look at the damn tires yourself and you’ll see the difference. You obviously have no clue what you’re talking about with “softer sidewalls are for touring”.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts