Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last several days when I push the button to start my Pilot it acts sluggish starting and sometimes the gauges point straight down and jump back and forth, I've also noticed the cruise control turns itself off too. I had the batter tested at 2 different places and they said it was fine, but I went ahead and replaced it yesterday. Right after I replaced it , the car started up but sluggish like again, and also the screen goes black, and I have to scroll back to the direction view screen ( this is on the screen behind the steering wheel ). What the heck is going on ? Could there be relay that has gone bad somewhere ?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sounds like a voltage issue, maybe a ground issue. I would check the battery cables. Give the ends at the battery a very close inspection as they could be corroded under the insulation which will affect the voltage. Also check the cables at the other ends since they could be loose or corroded there as well. A lot of batteries get replaced when the problem is actually the cables and those bad cables will take out a new battery in short order.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like a voltage issue, maybe a ground issue. I would check the battery cables. Give the ends at the battery a very close inspection as they could be corroded under the insulation which will affect the voltage. Also check the cables at the other ends since they could be loose or corroded there as well. A lot of batteries get replaced when the problem is actually the cables and those bad cables will take out a new battery in short order.
Thanks ! I'll check the cables out in the morning.

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
Sounds like a battery going out, but certainly rule out bad cables. Sometimes just cleaning the contact points works without replacing them.

Reactions: Hondamon

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
869 Posts
Sounds like a battery going out, but certainly rule out bad cables. Sometimes just cleaning the contact points works without replacing them.
Yes, especially the grounding straps as they tend to corrode at the terminals on the frame and body. If they are corroded, you will have to remove the bolt and clean up the contact areas and reassemble with some dielectric grease or contact paste.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EX-L AWD, 265-60-18 Defender LTX M/S
642 Posts
there is one bolt that makes ground contact off the battery on the inside fender. Many places with any sign of electrical issues undo that, sand off the paint to bare metal just where it contacts, Wire brush inside the welded nut where it bolts and reassemble with either the grease as mentioned or something like Kopr-Shield or THIS. Unfortunately Kopr-shield smallest is 8 ounce and will last you probably forever. I use it on all my electrical connections.

I posted on other threads my sons 2010 KIA was cranking slower, lights flickered, radio reset, horn didn't always work. Battery tested good all the time. His ground cable was green under the insulation. Biggest problem was the ground bolt just like on Honda. It was rusted and snapped trying to get it out. Had to drill it out and re-tap it. The threads were totally rusted/corroded. We did the above and reassembled, had to order the cable was 2 days out. With fuzzy green cable his issues were gone. New cable installed and sprayed with protectant. Dielectric grease is great for sealing off weather and keeping contacts clear but does not conduct. The kopr-shield, electrical contact paste and similar fill in the small space and make better contact as well as seal.

The problem is that all the cars are primed/painted before the installs so your entire connection relies on whatever small pieces of paint the bolt threads cut through and then they corrode. Clean whatever ground points that way and rassemble you can. Many have on passengers side also a cable from engine to ground. do that on both sides.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The crazy thing I've noticed past day is I can start it just fine using the remote start. Also when I do it this way it's keeping my cruise control on , and not turning it off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts